PDA

View Full Version : python?

architect1
01-27-2006, 01:46 PM
How does the python work It fills the tank up nicly. It just doesn't syphin fast is what makes it work the fastest. Does it have to do with the elivation?

Timbo
01-27-2006, 05:12 PM
yes, the difference in height between the starting point and the finishing point determines the speed of drainage as does the diameter of the hose

also, if you remove the stop valve on the python (if its on there) it will also increase the flow as the inside of the valve is smaller than the hose itself creating a slight slowdown in thru-put

architect1
01-27-2006, 05:23 PM
Is it possible to move the valve off? I also like that I'm not moving pails and pails of water. My fish arnt even botherd buy it to. Its vary convinete. I have it running from the shower nossile because it was the only one I could get a fitting for.

Timbo
01-27-2006, 05:33 PM
yes it possible to move the valve off...just back off the tightening ring (its blue on my python) and the hose will slip out with a little pull

architect1
01-27-2006, 05:35 PM
Any other keys or trinks you do with chaninging water? I just looked on my hose and it unscrews off.

Cosmo
01-27-2006, 05:41 PM
As I remember, the valve is a separate fitting that sits between a male and female connector... unless they've changed the design the past couple years, it should be very easy to unscrew and remove.

There are a couple of ways of increasing the drain time if you can't get around the limits of gravity with the 1/2 inch hose it comes with..
- plumb a small inline pump, like a quiet one 1200 into the line. You'll need a t connector plus a couple of ball valves and second hose but it will improve the drain time some. Not as complicated as it may sound lol
- The Eheim 16/22 hose will fit the python connectors if you remove the green compression rings. The increase diameter (approx 5/8ths) will allow a greater volume of water to pass through. This hose isn't inexpensive though and you may need a nylon clamp to connect snugly to the vacuum tube.

Also, you may try setting up a short hose that you connect to the shower head that drops to just above the floor of the shower or tub, and make your python connection there.

In reality, you'd be better off with one hose for draining, and one hose for filling.. you can pickup hoses of various sizes relatively inexpensively from a Home Depot for the drain hose if you want to use the python tap connector to fill the tank..

good luck
Jim

Cosmo
01-27-2006, 05:43 PM
If you have a cannister filter, you can rig it so you can connect the drain hose to the output of the cannister and let that pump the water out of your tank..

just a thought :)
Jim

architect1
01-27-2006, 05:45 PM
Like I dont really care for time just it be better. I'm happy that its as easy as it is. I need my own hosue so I can do it with no problems. How do you get it to syphin with out sucking the water out that part I could not do?

architect1
01-27-2006, 05:47 PM
If i would of thought that then man I wouldn't of need the python. Why didn't I think outside the box. School teaches me how to do that and I did not apply it to the most simple things. Vary smart like the Idea good food for thought.

CAGE-RATTLER
01-27-2006, 06:38 PM
If its hooked to your shower head (up high) that is the reason for slow draining and you could rig up a hose to lower that point as someone mentioned.

How do you get it to syphin with out sucking the water out that part I could not do?

If your talking about syphoning things off the bottom ..... but not draining the tank at the same time ........ thats not possible ....... and not sure why you would want to anyway?

I just run my drain line out the back door now instead of wasting water and dont even notice a difference in the suction amount.

For vaccuming the bottom .......... i use a much smaller hose and tube (1/4 inch tube & hose drained into 5 gallon bucket) to get more suction and then when im done the bottom .... i hook up my python line to drain.

Im looking fo a pump now to speed up the drain and fill times.

also, if you remove the stop valve on the python (if its on there) it will also increase the flow as the inside of the valve is smaller than the hose itself creating a slight slowdown in thru-put

Thanx for the tip ............. i dont use the stop valve anyway cause my water pressure is pretty high and if i use the stop valve .... water squirts all over the kitchen ......... lol. I dont over tighten and lay a rag over the connection now ...... lol.

Timbo
01-27-2006, 06:47 PM
cage, i think he's talking about starting a syphon with his mouth, but given the englsih language...:)

there is another way...leave the hose filled in between wc's (use stop valves-thats what i do) and then just open it to start the syphon or completely fill the hose with water and position it properly and it will start on it own as long as the drain end is lower.

architect1
01-27-2006, 06:47 PM
No what i ment is my tank is 5 feet hight. The showere nozzle is 6.6 feet roughly. I wasn't sure why i couldn't get the flowing water to do it. i did know that water can't syphon when the exit is higher then the intake. So thats why it did not work. I thought thats what it was but thank you for your reminder and answers

CAGE-RATTLER
01-27-2006, 06:52 PM
If your starting the syphon with your mouth then your using gravity and dont need the shower head ...... just let it drain to the tub floor.

I use the gravel vac itself to start the gravity syphon.

I put a 24 inch gravel vac on it and just dip it in to fill it then raise it up a bit till the water starts going down and then stick it back in and it keeps going.

architect1
01-27-2006, 06:55 PM
Thats what I did I sucked the water then I let it run. The only problem is I need to get the hot and cold just right for the tank. next time I take a shower I will mark it on the shower the best water temperature.

diskboy
02-24-2006, 05:07 PM
i love my python but just for filling the tank i dont have enough water preasure to siphon

architect1
02-25-2006, 11:47 AM
yeah it syphons slowly to but it alows me to sit watch some tv and then fill it up. I can't try it with the tap yet because i'm using the shower and all the tanks are to high up. the showers also 30 feet away so it sucks but soon. when i move I will be able to.