PDA

View Full Version : I am totally stunned!

Ardan
01-27-2006, 01:59 PM
Thank you Al!!!!
Yes, I can’t believe it, but I have some discus!:D
Where do I start? Well about 18 months ago, I lost all of my discus due to a water problem. Ever since Al has made very generous offers to help me get back into discus. :) I have waited. He contacted me again just last weekend. “Hey, are you ready for discus yet? (its in my blood, and patience I am not good at.) Well my birthday is in a couple wks and I told my wife I’d like to try to get a few discus.
So I told Al that I didn’t have a lot of money (what else is new;) , 3 great kids, 2 of them in college), but if it works out I’d like to get a few discus.
I told him my favorite types of discus, including domestics and wilds, but said I wouldn’t be too particular at this point, starter discus would be great! I would let it up to him to see what we might be able to work out or if I should just sit tight.
He said “leave it up to me, I will not tell you what I am going to send, get 2 tanks ready, I will send you some wilds and some domestics! What day this wk is good for you?”:shocked:
I said I have no tanks ready, no cycled sponges!
He said, “NO Problem, I will send cycled sponges!!” How cool is that??:cool: :cool:
I also said I have 4 bushynose plecos I got at an lfs almost 2 yrs ago, but no breeding yet, what should I do? Well, he sent a bushynose pleco to add to the group.
I know how Al takes care of his discus and have read about his quarantine and “deworming procedures” so I know they are in great health.:)

Well, I worked hard last Sunday and all wk getting things cleaned, filled, tested, rechecked, retested…… took a vacation day today. Wondered all wk what might be coming, and if I was ready.
Today, right on time they arrived at the Fedex pickup point. Pulse racing, I picked them up and now have discus!
He sent way more than I could have imagined. He sent a Large Cobalt, a Large Turq, 4 wild browns (4 “?), and 4 smaller green turqs. (3 “?) , and a bushynose pleco and 2 big aquaclear cycled sponges. These fish are Awesome! Many people do not know the quality of domestic and wild discus that Al handles. This is the first time I have seen any of his discus in person, and I will say they are fantastic!
I am going to tell the truth, It is the most awesome feeling in the world, I know he sent from the heart! What a sight to see discus swimming in the tanks. :thumbsup:
Thank You Al!! Simply an amazing person!:cool: :cool:

I will try to get some pics of the discus later today. I need to run out quick.
Discus are calling me to watch them swim!:D
Thanks a whole lot, Al!

Ardan

Ardan
01-27-2006, 02:00 PM
cycled sponges!:D

hexed
01-27-2006, 02:08 PM
Al,
You are the man! Way to go!
WELCOME BACK TO KEEPING DISCUS ARDAN! You have always been a BIG help here and to see you back with discus is FANTASTIC!
Those will be cared for, for years to come!
CONGRATS,
Frank

ronrca
01-27-2006, 02:10 PM
:bounce: :bouncegre :guitarist :juggle: :jester: :thumbsup:

Party Time! That is just awesomely fabulous great! I am so happy to hear that you have discus again Ardan! Sweet, sweet and a big huge thanks to Al. You da man! ;)

brewmaster15
01-27-2006, 02:36 PM
Ardan ,
You are more than welcome! I am just thrilled that you have Discus once again. I remember how devastated you were 2 years ago.. I hope these discus bring you as much happiness as those others. You have always been there for the site, its members and me as a friend.... just returning the favor.. If I have them.... Theres more when you need them:)

-AL
PS..
Think i should probably move this thread to the photo gallery so we can keep general clear of picture posts and experiences like this.

Jarrod
01-27-2006, 03:14 PM
Wow!!...now that's what I call awesome...Al you are too much my man...and Ardan congrats on having a friend like Al...

Ardan
01-27-2006, 03:49 PM
I am really thrilled, all are swimming all over the tanks:D
here is a few pics from my old 1 megapixel camera, hope they show up 1/2 as nice as the fish are. Hope you like them. I think the colors are awesome.:)

Ardan

1st wild browns, turq and cobalt group:D

Ardan
01-27-2006, 03:51 PM
another:) :)

Ardan
01-27-2006, 03:52 PM
A quick pic of one of the green turks:)

Namreg
01-27-2006, 04:02 PM
Congrats Ardan. Those fish really look nice and from what I read they are in good hands too.

And Congrats to Brewmaster also for this great gesture.

White Worm
01-27-2006, 04:12 PM
Very Very Cool. Nice to have some friends like that! mike

richgrenfell
01-27-2006, 04:13 PM
Very nice! hey Al, my birthday is Sunday....what time should I come over?

Beth
01-27-2006, 04:20 PM
Ardan...

I am totally stunned!

It's about time.... I know how hard it is to be without Discus when you're on the forum reading and admiring other peoples Discus :(

Al!! ....... as always...... you're one of a kind :thumbsup:

Beth

pcsb23
01-27-2006, 04:21 PM
Ardan, having known you and Al but briefly I am delighted this has happened. I really can feel the thrill and passion you feel towrds this great hobby. Al - you've gotta be careful, you're gonna lose the tough guy image if you keep doing this!!

The fish do look stunning, particularly considering they are straight out of transport!!

I'm absolutely delighted for you - and a little bit jealous!!

Enjoy them.
Paul.

Timbo
01-27-2006, 04:27 PM
Al, no wonder the discus market is under price pressure...now they're free!!

hehe, you are a class act and generous Al

Ardan
01-27-2006, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone! :D
Al is a great person and does a great job with all his discus.
I know he spends many hours with the discus, this site and working with many people with discus.:cool:

I will try to keep you posted on how the discus are doing:)
Will try to get better pics later too.:)
Ardan

Discusgeo2
01-27-2006, 04:53 PM
Great things you are doing Al. Nice to see you with some wonderful looking Discus again Ardan, now go watch them swim and take good care of them.

KIWI13
01-27-2006, 05:00 PM
Al is a class act alright........ Those are real nice fish.. I'm gonna have to visit you in 2007 and pick up mine personally buddy ;)

Kindredspirit
01-27-2006, 05:03 PM
Ardan!

I am so happy for you!!!! I remember you telling me that you lost your discus before~ You sounded like a little kid in a candy shop!!! I had the biggest smile on my face reading your post, Ardan!

Happy Early Birthday, yes?? Pictures!! Pictures!!

See...........I told you, you were an Angel~http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_2_55.gif

Marie~

brewmaster15
01-27-2006, 05:05 PM
Hi all....

I tried for almost 2 years to get Ardan Fish for free...He's as stubborn as he is helpful here... and would have nothing to do with "free":) We went back and forth many times....He is definetly a man of principal.;) :)
Most of what he got was free..had to charge him for things like the sponges and their bacterial colonies. and shipping.. otherwise he never would have let me send him any fish.;) :D :D :D

Just want to be honest on that. Don't want anyone drawing any conclusions... that might ruin my reputation (thanks paul!) whats important is ...Ardan has fish again.. thats whats important to me in all this.

-al

Ardan
01-27-2006, 09:49 PM
He's as stubborn :rolleyes: you got me:D just don't let my wife know that she is right:D (she figured it out after all this time anyway);)

Happy Early Birthday, yes?? Yes my wife gave the green light:)
Thank you!:)

Ardan, now go watch them swim and take good care of them.Thank you George, I really am enjoying watching them, even did a wc, was a blast:)

The fish do look stunning, particularly considering they are straight out of transport!!

Yes they did real well!:) They already are coming to the front of the tanks, eating and swimming well:cool: Thanks Paul!

Very true, I couldn't take it anymore:grin:

Congrats Ardan. Those fish really look nice and from what I read they are in good hands tooThank you for the very kind words:)

WELCOME BACK TO KEEPING DISCUS ARDAN! Thank you very much, its greaaaat to be back.:thumbsup:

That is just awesomely fabulous great! Thank you Ron! I agree.:) awesome!
Thank all of you for your kindness!

Ardan:sun:

CAGE-RATTLER
01-27-2006, 10:12 PM
WOW ......... That is fantastic for you Arden ........... Im sure you will enjoy having the discus around again.

And Al ......... What a Gesture indeed!! Gotta make you feel good hearing Ardens excitement about getting discus back in his tanks!

Just another reason why this is such a great community!!

I know how it feels to receive some free discus ......... especially when money is tight!!

My little blues i just got were offered to me from DONNAMITE (on here) , DEECEE (on aquaforums) and i was overwhelmed as well and am enjoying having them immensely!!

There truly are GOOD HEARTED people in this world!!!

GulfCoastDiscus
01-27-2006, 11:41 PM
Good for you Ardan. Watch out, this is only the beginning. Next thing you know you have too many tanks.:)

Nice Al. You're good people and we need more people like you.

Cosmo
01-28-2006, 12:16 AM
Whoa DUDE :D :) :) :) :)

candyl70
01-28-2006, 12:51 AM
AL!!!! That is really one of the best things that I have read here on the forum!!! People here really are some of the best that I have ever met!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_32_10.gif

Ardan!!! Congrats on becoming a new fish owner! They really are very beautiful and I am sure you will take excellent care of them. Definatley keep us updated with some more pics ;)

Ardan
01-28-2006, 07:08 AM
Im sure you will enjoy having the discus around again
I enjoy it immensely (sp?) Thank you.
Yes, I only had a set amount of money to spend, and then I let Al do the calculating. I do not think math is his strong point:D ;) j/k Certainly according to my calculations these are worth a fortune:) :)

LOL, I have had to convince my wife many times for more tanks, but never enough.....:) :) Yes I am sure it will never end with this hobby:) But it 's a good hobby!

Whoa DUDE :D :D

People here really are some of the best that I have ever met!
You can say that again, and I think that is one of the best things about it all.:) :)
take care and thank all of you very much!:)
Ardan

jim_shedden
01-28-2006, 08:55 AM
Ahhhhhhhhhh..............what a family here.............can't beat it.:)
Nice to see you back with fins Ardan.
Awseome Al.

Jim

Ardan
01-28-2006, 01:34 PM
[Ahhhhhhhhhh..............what a family here.............can't beat it./QUOTE] Very well said Jim!:)

[QUOTE]Nice to see you back with fins Ardan.
Thank You, it is great! I was really worried that I would not remember how to prepare for discus:D

whats important is ...Ardan has fish again.. thats whats important to me in all this.
Thank you Al. I know that you really mean that!:)

Thanks Again:)
Ardan

lkleung007
01-28-2006, 05:57 PM
Hi Ardan,

I'm really happy for you...not only did you get free Discus but they came for Brew...I too would be in Discus heaven.

Al; as I have said many times before...you are Simply Awesome!!

Regards, Lester

Ardan
01-28-2006, 06:10 PM
Thank you Lester!:)
Just finished changing water:) and putsing (sp?) around with the fish, lot of fun and the fish are doing great:)
Ardan

Tad
01-28-2006, 11:26 PM
Ardan,
Great to finally see you back waste deep into WCs :D

Al :thumbsup:

regards,
Tad

Ardan
01-29-2006, 07:44 AM
Great to finally see you back waste deep into WCs LOL Tad:D
Thank you!
Yes, been getting the sleeves on the t shirt wet for sure. I like playing in the water.:)
And the fish are doing great!:)
Thanks Tad
Ardan

JMArtist
01-29-2006, 09:32 PM
Ardan,
You are one lucky dude!!!
Congrads!
Al, your the King of the Aquarium...just remember to come up for air, we wouldn't want to lose you!

Ardan
01-29-2006, 09:47 PM
You are one lucky dude:) :) :) I agree!
thank you!
Ardan

Discus_KC
01-29-2006, 10:05 PM
Nice to see you back Ardan and with nice fish !!!!!

Jack

Ardan
01-30-2006, 06:49 AM
Nice to see you back Ardan and with nice fish
Thank you very much Jack! Yes, I like them a lot:) :)
Ardan

April
04-17-2006, 11:37 AM
well..there you have it. the birthday wish boy..got his birthday wishes and a happy birthday. all good. and very deserving.
congrats on the nice fishies.