PDA

View Full Version : catfish and discus

cobaltblue
01-29-2006, 09:17 PM
Just wonderng if anyone has added these type of catfish to a discus tank. They are africans, so they are used to a higher ph etc. I already bought one from my lfs and they said they were compatible, but after reading about them, now im not so sure.

Its a synodontis multipunctatus. They look really cool , dont ya think?
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/mochokid/synodont/95_1.PHP

Willie
01-29-2006, 09:21 PM
No way. That fish will not be very happy in soft, warm water. So much for LFS advice!

Willie

ShinShin
01-29-2006, 09:31 PM
I 2nd Willie's post.

Mat

cobaltblue
01-30-2006, 12:28 AM
Looks like ill be taking it back. I have a very good relationship with the owner there so he will take it back without a problem.

So are corys the only catfish that are compatible with discus tanks? I already have bristlenose ready to go, but they usually just stick to my driftwood and i never see them. I have 4 julii corys already, but any other suggestions?

rancor
02-01-2006, 06:33 AM
I have had constant problems even with bristlenose, they always seem to get sick when in discus PH, bacterial and flesh rot etc

KIWI13
02-01-2006, 06:39 AM
bristlenose catfish and plecos can be kept, howver some people have complained that plecos tend to attach themselves to discus to feed of the slime..

ottos can be kept too...

scans
02-01-2006, 10:01 AM
The synodontis do well with the African Cichlids. I have kept many in the past. much higher PH, harder water, and lower temp. They would not be happy campers

scans
02-01-2006, 10:18 AM
And from whatt I have heard these are not compatible either...

The Worlds Largest Catfish.
http://www.worldwildlife.org/news/displayPR.cfm?prID=207&searchen=google

I know it is not directly related to this post, But I liked the catfish connection:D

jim_shedden
02-01-2006, 12:20 PM
too funny...........thanks

jim

korbi_doc
02-01-2006, 04:33 PM
:D Chris, I fell in love with S. Petricola when I first had discus..tried the same thing & was told "no way" with the hard water they like...was disappointed, but soon I may be able to have an african cichlid tank with those babies in it....& I do like your S.multipunctatus, guess there's just something 'bout those Synodontis fish....

Willie
02-01-2006, 06:38 PM
Here are the species I've been able to keep successfully with discus:

C. sterbai
C. panda -- adult
C. arcuatus
C. aeneus
C. robineii

These all do well at 84F. C. pygmaeus and C. hasbrous will also do well -- until they get swallowed.

Willie

billeagan
02-01-2006, 06:43 PM
I think an angelicus will hold up...

Serbi
02-02-2006, 11:46 AM
I have kept one of these multipunctatus cats with discus for 4 months now and doing fine BUT.... he learned that blood-worms taste good.... so as soon as I put the worms in the tank he goes and grabs them from the discus. It got to the point where he would eat almost all the worms before the discus had a chance to have some. I finally got fed up and took him to my LFS where I got some Corys that are doing great.

cobaltblue
02-02-2006, 01:13 PM
Thanks all. I took it back and got 5 panda corys and 4 blue rams, all for the price of this one catfish. I feel pretty good about the decision, but it was a cool looking cat.

chris allsop
02-02-2006, 02:01 PM
i do keep quite a few cats with my discus but they are all soft water fish, never had any probs with them.

Wahter
02-04-2006, 08:50 PM
I think an angelicus will hold up...

I tried an angelicus once. While it was small it did fine with the discus and the other fish in the tank (goldnugget pl*co and clown loaches). Once the angelicus grew up, it became very territorial and attacked the goldnugget often - which led to the death of the goldnugget.

Just my experience. The synodontis angelicus is a very pretty fish though.

Walter