PDA

View Full Version : Air Exchangers

BIGFOOT
01-30-2006, 11:35 PM
Didn't know where this would hopefully here.

I got some question about them. Like are they worthy the money? They cost a lot so that is the the reason for that question. I plan on putting a lot of water in my basement and i don't need a mold issue ( if you know what i mean).
I have the floor map out for about 5000 gallons of water by the time i get done.
Question #2 Do i need one for this amount of water? The basement is 420 square feet. I plant on running my tanks with full glass lids to help with humidity. I do have central air here and from what i here this will help with some of the humidity. But is it enough or can i get by with a dehumidifier?

Greg Richardson
01-31-2006, 02:57 AM
I would try just the dehumidifier. Buy a LARGE one. Don't go cheap here.
In the end u be glad.

If u have sheetrock on walls u can buy a mositure guage.
Test what it is in bunch of different area's BEFORE placement of tanks.
After running for a few weeks test again.
Every month or so test.
This will give an idea of how much moisture your walls and ceilings sucking up.

For prevention use vapor barrier primer paint.

Then apply exterior paint.

Google both of those. You'll see why I suggest going that route after u see what is in them and what they are designed to do.

Now u have protected your walls and ceilings quite well.

Use insulate pads for your outlets to stop it going through there.

Jason
01-31-2006, 04:15 AM
Greg gave some great tips but speaking from my own experience a dehumidifier I not enough. Unless you have a real small fishroom that is air-tight water will get passed a dehumidifier and cause rot, attract bugs, and worst of all mould that can make you sick. use it as a back-up.

If you own your home you dont want destroyed by water vapour, invest in an HRV that can handle the room, the cost might be high up front but you will recoup it quickly. My dual-core HRV only uses 150 watts to run my 40 pint energy star compliant de humidifier draws over 1200watts to run.

Jason
01-31-2006, 04:29 AM
I use this brand http://airflowcdn.com/cgi-bin/merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=W&Product_Code=A2AEVK

Ronrca did an excellent article on mould and humidity but I can find iit.

RON????????

BIGFOOT
01-31-2006, 07:18 AM
Thanks guys

Keep those great ideas and links on exchangers coming i need as much as you can give me on this. This being my first time dealing with this much water.

Again THANKS

ronrca
01-31-2006, 11:42 AM
Here you go Jason!
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=32393
Its in the beginners section under the beginners information index. :thumbsup:

BIGFOOT
01-31-2006, 12:48 PM
Thanks Ronrca

I have read this a while back and now for the second time. As a matter of fact its what got me concern with humidty and mold related issue. Very well written piece inmo. What i need now is a solution?

Barb Newell
01-31-2006, 03:02 PM
Excellent information. I run a humidifier in my fishroom and keep the humidity level around 40% -- temp 88. All tanks have lids -- 30 tanks.

I am considering an air exchanger... think I need one?

Barb

ronrca
01-31-2006, 04:09 PM
No problem Brian! I was having mold problems therefore decided to check into it.

Atm, all Im running is a dehum and keeping tanks/sumps covered as much as possible. My hum is around 50%! I have not noticed any problems other than windows in the winter which get covered with condensation. Im going to be covering the windows with insulation in the winter.

A air exchanger is the best route to go. I dont have any experience or money to get one but it gets the job done right.

discusfire4
01-31-2006, 05:43 PM
I'm building a fishroom right now. i might as well bite the bullet and get one now. My humidity is right around 47%.

BIGFOOT
01-31-2006, 06:47 PM
Hi All

Some good info so far!!!! I called Jehmco and the guy over there tells me that i should be able to run up to 70% humidty without an mold issue. Does anyone agree with this? I dont agree butt I dont know much about this kind of stuff either butt it just sounded to good to be true facter.

Jason
02-01-2006, 03:17 AM
yeah 70% does not sound right, if your room is around 75-85dgF and 70% humidity I guarantee you will have problems.

jeep
02-01-2006, 09:10 AM
Not to agree or disagree... maybe it depends on the individual situation, but I've found 70% to be the magical number for me. 75% and I have a mold problem - 70% and I don't :confused:

alpine
02-01-2006, 09:18 AM
John at Jehmco sure knows his stuff , so I would really give validity to what he says . 70% sounds high to me , my heating and air condition repairman told me last fall around 40% or less woud be a pretty safe figure. My small fishroom with a good dehumidifier is 31% , it fluctuates .. I have four 75 and a 29 gallon.

roberto.

Jason
02-01-2006, 10:14 AM
I cannot disagree the 70% could work in a different situation, If my humidistat was set @70% the ceiling would be dripping, and water would be condensing on the upstairs windows and exterior walls. I gutted my washroom and there was mold in the drywall, 2 showers a day and the humidistat and vent fan kept it at 60% except for the 10 minites or so when someone is having a shower.

how do you guys like working in 60+% humidity? I'd be sweating my a$$ off.

check out the specs on your dehumidifiers, my power bill went down about $100 on a 45 day billing period after ditching them.

I'm sure John knows his stuff and sells good hrv's aswell. You can though shop around and get a better price than he sells them for, any hvac contractor should be able to get one, There is also a low priced unit at home depot called a Venmar that would do the trick.If your looking for an hrv

ronrca
02-01-2006, 04:20 PM
There are various factors that will affect mold growth. Mold does not grow from the humidity itself. Mold requires moisture to grow therefore it doenst matter perhaps on the humidity so much as to condensation forming and usually on a consistant bases. Condensation forms due to difference of temperatures on surfaces and humidity will affect the amount of condensation or in short, humidity affects the amount of condensation formed (lower humidity, less condensation and so on). This is why I have a lot of condensation on the windows due to the difference in temps inside/ouside and the worst season is of course winter. I dont get any condensation in the summer btw. Therefore, if your fishroom has outside walls and is on the ground level and higher, you could very well have mold problems inside the walls depending on the construction of the house. In some cases, it doesnt matter what the humidity is (unless very very low) but more dependant on the temperature differences.

Now a days, houses are built much more sealed thus less chance of mold growing inside walls due to 'dead' space being created in the walls. If there is no air flow thru the walls or into the walls, there is no humidity for condensation to form and any mold that may grow would 'sufficate'.

Regarding various levels of humidity, if the temperatures inside/outside do not vary greatly, then the level of humidity isnt a concern as no condensation will form. Therefore this will depend on the climate you live in.

discusfire4
02-17-2006, 07:12 PM
Does anyone know roughly how much power this thing pulls, amps, etc????