PDA

View Full Version : 55 Gallon Lid - Suggestions?

DiscusStudent
01-31-2006, 01:12 PM
I got a good deal on a used 55 gallon, I noticed there were some chips in the glass but I wasn't worried because this wasn't going to be much of a show tank, just a community discus tank to try and find pairs. I made sure to clean it out, made sure it held water, it did so I got it up and running. The discus are in there and everything is fine. My dilemma is this: When I was examining the tank before I bought it I overlooked one thing that I guess usually isn't on the top of list of things to watch out for. I got the tank home, started setting it up, debated on how I planned on lighting the tank when I realized that the cross bar in the center of the tank was missing. Lighting I got figured out no problem, I hung a flourescent fixture above it (I have found a very inexpensive way to light a 48" tank if anyone is interested, total: $10 :D ). So I thought I would be good, but now I'm noticing that there is a pretty fast evaporation rate (especially with 2 sponge filters in there) and I'm worried about the humidity problem. I'll have to deal with the humidity on a large scale soon, but I'd like to try and keep some of that water being expelled by the air bubbles in the tank and off the floors and wall (not noticebly happening, but I know it's there). Any suggestions for lids? It looks like the crossbar was ripped out so there is a lip around most of the tank but nothing but sharp edges in the middle. I don't really want to get a 48" glass lid. I was just wondering if anyone had anything similar and/or had creative solutions to a lid that would still allow light into the tank. Can that frame be replaced? I'm sure if that's possible, that'd probably be my best option.

Namreg
01-31-2006, 01:34 PM
Home Depot sells Acrylic Sheets of all sizes and colors. They also cut them to a size you specify. I'd measure the exact dimensions for a sheet covering the tank, then have them cut it in half the long way.

Then look for a plastic channel that you can fit the two sheets in at the joint, and you have a custom cover.

DiscusStudent
01-31-2006, 01:36 PM
That sounds like a really good idea, I'll have to look into that

Greg Richardson
01-31-2006, 07:21 PM
If u go the acrylic route make sure it's thick so it doesn't bow.
Heat will do that.

HD around here stopped selling glass sheets. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

DiscusStudent
01-31-2006, 08:34 PM
If u go the acrylic route make sure it's thick so it doesn't bow.
Heat will do that.

HD around here stopped selling glass sheets. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Thanks Greg, hopefully my HD still does although I am afraid if yours stopped mine may have too, I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'll have to go check it out, I sense an expensive HD run for plumbing and wood for stands for a little breeding wall setup ;)

On the chance that I am not able to get acrylic does anyone else have any suggestions?

wolfbane
01-31-2006, 09:05 PM
Just a thought, but isn't that crossbar needed to maintain the integrity of the tank? Won't the glass bow outward without it?

DiscusStudent
01-31-2006, 09:22 PM
Just a thought, but isn't that crossbar needed to maintain the integrity of the tank? Won't the glass bow outward without it?

I didn't think about that aspect but that does make sense... Anyone have the answer for that? That'd be kind of a rude awakening...

Can that frame be replaced?

CAGE-RATTLER
01-31-2006, 09:39 PM
You can get a new frame for the tank at THATFISHPLACE.com
They are $17.99 i believe ............. or you can make a brace with plexiglass.

Also for what you'll spend on a piece of acrylic ......... you can buy a glass top for it. They are only about $20! Acrylic isnt that cheap and the stuff at HD is plexiglass and will turn yellow.

A cheaper solution for a top would be to use a sheet of the plastic florescent lighting lens (the kind that goes in drop cielings) and cut it to size. You can get a 2' x 4' sheet of it for a few bucks.

I saw a DIY artricle on using that the other day .... i'll try to find it.

DiscusStudent
01-31-2006, 10:22 PM
Thanks for finding that for me I hadn't ever seen frame replacements so I didn't think that it was possible. Has anyone ever replaced the frame of a tank? Do I adhere it with some aquarium sealant? Is the old frame sealed on? Things that I should be paying attention to - tips?

Also thanks for the info on the price of acrylic. I knew that I could go glass I was just concerned with the fact that it had to be a 48" piece, I know the make them I just seem to remember that they aren't cheap. With a new frame though I can eliminate that problem and just got with two 24" pieces which are much cheaper I'm figuring.

CAGE-RATTLER
01-31-2006, 10:28 PM
Thanks for finding that for me I hadn't ever seen frame replacements so I didn't think that it was possible. Has anyone ever replaced the frame of a tank? Do I adhere it with some aquarium sealant? Is the old frame sealed on? Things that I should be paying attention to - tips?

Also thanks for the info on the price of acrylic. I knew that I could go glass I was just concerned with the fact that it had to be a 48" piece, I know the make them I just seem to remember that they aren't cheap. With a new frame though I can eliminate that problem and just got with two 24" pieces which are much cheaper I'm figuring.

Actually the $20 price i gave for the glass top was for the 2 x 24 inch ones.

Not sure about a 48 inch long one cause any tank longer than 36 has braces i believe.

CAGE-RATTLER
01-31-2006, 10:32 PM
Heres the link for the cheap cover.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_tank_covers.php

Alight
02-01-2006, 01:17 AM
If you really want to go cheap, or if you just want a temporary cover while you order, or find a nice glass one, just use saran wrap. For a 55, you'll need two sheets, and some scotch tape. It's a bit of a pain with cling wrap, so I used sticky wrap.

It will keep your water and fish in, and let the light through.

DiscusStudent
02-01-2006, 01:35 AM
Thanks, that may be a good temporary solution, as long as I leave an outlet for the air, don't need a 55 gallon balloon ;)

diablocanine
02-01-2006, 01:36 AM

Replacing the top frame is easy. Pull the old frame off (start at one small end, pull straight up). Clean the glass of any old sealant and test fit the new top frame. Place new silicone (use aquarium silicone only) in the channel of the top frame and place it on top of the glass. When you have the complete frame seated, push down on the top frame to seal it. Turn the aquarium over so it rests level on the new top frame, let cure for at least 24 hours.

DiscusStudent
02-01-2006, 11:17 AM
Replacing the top frame is easy. Pull the old frame off (start at one small end, pull straight up). Clean the glass of any old sealant and test fit the new top frame. Place new silicone (use aquarium silicone only) in the channel of the top frame and place it on top of the glass. When you have the complete frame seated, push down on the top frame to seal it. Turn the aquarium over so it rests level on the new top frame, let cure for at least 24 hours.

Great! Thanks diablo! I was figuring it would be that easy I just needed to hear it from someone who had done it before. I think this will be my best option versus trying to retrofit something. I'm getting about tired of getting scratched up on the broken edges while doing water changes anyways. Thanks everyone who helped out. Thanks again Cage for finding a replacement frame for me :)

CAGE-RATTLER
02-01-2006, 07:48 PM
Not a problem ........

I was reading some DIY threads last night and one was on replacing the frames. One person removes the bottom frame to paint the bottoms of theyre tank and it sounds pretty easy to do.

They use a putty knife to go under the edges to try to slice thru the silicone so they come off easier.

But since your just replacing a damaged one ............. it wouldnt matter how you get it off ..... lol. But if its to stubborn ..... using the putty knife may make it easier to get it started ........... just be careful not to chip or crack the glass.

misterthews
02-01-2006, 08:13 PM
Check out this link. It is a pretty cheap cover that you could use for your tank, and i think you can buy it at any home improvement store.

CAGE-RATTLER
02-01-2006, 08:26 PM
Check out this link. It is a pretty cheap cover that you could use for your tank, and i think you can buy it at any home improvement store.

Thats the same one i posted earlier ..... lol

Im gonna give those a try later.

Not sure how thick they are or how well they will hold in the heat tho or keep from bowing.

You can find them at hoime depot right next to the egg crate material.