PDA

View Full Version : This may be a dumb question

TamSam
02-01-2006, 05:55 PM
I keep hearing no carbon no carbon...what does carbon do to Discus??? What SHOULD I now put in my filters??? I have 2 sick fish in quarantine with hole in the head and i took the carbon out...but now there's only a sponge in there! What am i supposed to use?

Thanks in advance,
Tami

Ax
02-01-2006, 06:07 PM
I use Bio-Media (Bio-Balls or something like that).
Carbon releases all the stuff that it filters out if not changed in time, Discus being a sensitive fish, so it’s not something you should risk. I keep some Carbon if I need to filter-out meds from the tank for some reason, but once it’s used to garbage it goes. (If you think it’s pricy, think what would cost to get a new fish.)
Cheers and good luck.
Alex (Ax)

TamSam
02-01-2006, 06:15 PM
I heard of the bio-balls...but where do they go? in the filter?

Do i take the filter out altogether?
Oh trust me I know how pricy these guys can be.
My credit card is taking a beating and i'm trying to save 2 half-dead ones already.
Read my posts if you like. I have issues.

Discus Dummy, Tami

Alight
02-01-2006, 06:23 PM
It isn't clear that the carbon really does anything bad. But, several of the old timers (me included) have seen Discus with HTH get better very quickly after taking out filter carbon, and have never seen it when we aren't using it.

It could be that it releases something bad (many say this can't happen) or that it filters out something the fish need. Either way, all who have tried it, find that they don't need carbon at all, so why buy it and have it take up space in the filter box.

The ceramic noodles or biomax can be put in a biobag in most filters. In AquaClear filters, it goes in loose mesh bags on top of the sponge. For most filters, you can buy a sponge that will fit in your filter box. I'd recommend both a sponge and a mesh bag of ceramic noodles. The filter is for both mechanical filtration and for biofiltration. The sponge is great for both forms of filtration and the noodles great for biofiltration.

Ax
02-01-2006, 06:31 PM
Bio-Balls is a media that allows more area for good bacteria (same as bio-mix), I keep canister filters on my planted tanks, and Hydro-filters(foam filters) on my BB tanks. Sorry to hear about your straggles. Just don't give-up it is doable, and trust me it will not be to long when you will see sun shining :)

This is my tank at the moment, trust me this is not done over night (and some people can tell you there are much better ones around.) except its 150gl not 110 gl http://saskatoonaquarium.com/gallery/AMorgun

Alex (Ax)

Dave C
02-01-2006, 06:39 PM
Put more sponges in there. Fill it up. For instance, an Aquaclear 300 can hold 3 sponges.

TamSam
02-01-2006, 07:05 PM
Bio-Balls is a media that allows more area for good bacteria (same as bio-mix), I keep canister filters on my planted tanks, and Hydro-filters(foam filters) on my BB tanks. Sorry to hear about your straggles. Just don't give-up it is doable, and trust me it will not be to long when you will see sun shining :)

This is my tank at the moment, trust me this is not done over night (and some people can tell you there are much better ones around.) except its 150gl not 110 gl http://saskatoonaquarium.com/gallery/AMorgun

Alex (Ax)

Those are absolutely stunning aquariums!!! I can see why my boyfriend wanted to own these fish...just wish we had more understanding before-hand.

On the bright side our african cichlids are doing great and we have 40 babies and about 120 more on the way:)

wish these beauties were as easy to manage

Tami

Kindredspirit
02-02-2006, 11:41 AM

Alex (Ax)

Alex!!

OMG! That is one of the most beautiful set ups I have seen on here! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_2_68.gif I am so serious....The orange discus look absolutely beautiful in all that green! You must be sooooooo proud Alex....I would be!

I saved your pictures to show some....Beautiful...I can not get over it~

Marie~

pcsb23
02-02-2006, 11:58 AM
Tami, put more sponges in, they do well and are easier to manage than bio-balls noodles etc.

Carbon is an absorptive media, i.e it absorbs certain chemicals. Trouble is it doesn't know what are good and what are bad!! So it absorbs both. Now with most aquaria this isn't a big deal as there is usually loads of minerals etc in the weater. Discus tanks tend to run at lower mineral content than most, soft water lower ph etc... So when the carbon start to remove the trace elements there are less there to start! It is this that is believed to cause HITH syndrome in discus. Whilst I don't believe it is proven, there is significant evidence that supports the link.

Carbon has its uses, to remove meds, and also to remove any possible toxin etc. But don't use it long term in the discus tank. I never use carbon long term even in my reef tank.

Ax, real nice tank. You can tell its not an overnight job!!

Paul.

Ax
02-02-2006, 12:16 PM
Thank-you for kind words Marie, Tami and Paul.

I am happy with setup, but I am even happier with the fish. All the golds and goldenSS are from Barb Newell, her fish spells “quality “. :)
I do keep a runt (smallest) in the group (he is from LFS):o . From what I researched, letting smallest fish stay, gives other fish better chance of reaching a full potential providing “picking” order, and I would be disappointed if it would happened to one of the Barb’s fish. (Plus he has better life in my tank than at the store, I hope). When all the fish get to be 14month he will go free to a friend that asked for him already:p . There is 6 – 14 month old fish now in the tank, and 7 – 8 month old, 3 – 4 month old turks (one is a runt) – too many for that tank.
Four of the older fish paired-up and I had wigglers couple of times, but they got eaten in the tank, so when the fish room is done (about a month or two) they go to there own breading tanks.
Tami, as with any fish it is a learning process, one thing for sure, “when fish is happy we are happy, and the only way to make fish happy is to provide best possible quality of water and food.” You take care of the water; it will take care of the fish for you. – old but true.:p

Thanks again. Alex (Ax)