PDA

View Full Version : Is there any fish I can put in with 1 discus??

TamSam
02-01-2006, 07:00 PM
We bought 3 discus in 11 days. 2 seem to be dying.

The first one is doing brilliantly.

I don't think I should take on 6 at this time...especially in light of possibly losing the 2 sick ones (one is laying flat on his side as I type).
I don't have the time or the money or the heart to lose more:(

If #1 does live should I give him away??
I would ship him to one of you if you want him..

OR

is there any other way to keep him happy? are there any other fish he would live with???

Confused,
Tami

Dave C
02-01-2006, 11:10 PM
While it is good advice to keep Discus in groups I have had success with a single, fairly small Discus on its own. It didn't seem to suffer from loneliness, though I don't know how I'd know if it did. So I'd put in some other fish as companions, maybe cardinals or some cories and keep the one Discus. If you do buy other fish it's a good idea to quarantine, especially given the problems you're fighting right now. Or maybe just wait a month or so so you know the risk of sickness is lessened.

Sandra
02-02-2006, 09:19 AM
I have a 3" discus 2 dwarf gourami 2 cory and 1 apple snail in a 37gl cube. eveyone seems too be fine the discus [Franklin] socializes with all of them. Sandra

TamSam
02-02-2006, 02:00 PM
I'm going to look at pictures of the fish you two named....thanks for the help!
Tami

architect1
02-05-2006, 06:32 PM
I have cardanal tetras, yellow plecos, simies algee eater, and drawf blue guramiies, also Blue german rams. when ever you buy fish make sure they are alone in the tank. even with plants I hate how when you go to ockvilles/massasagas Big alls they mix fish with plants or other fish with fish. I hate that and I tend to stray away from buying anything from them. Hamiltons i find is the best all around.

varriety wize less to choose from most of the time, and low stock. If your going to buy discus Buy from some people on hear that are in the area. There cheeper and alot better quallity.

I know you lost a discus but don't let it deter you from getting more there well worth the pain and suffering of lossing a cuple.