PDA

View Full Version : Breeding and guppies?

traco
02-04-2006, 07:14 PM
Who knows where I should have posted this thread (breeding? foods and nutrition? this section?.

I have guppies in my discus tank. When the guppy babies are born, the discus have a hay day with the "food".

Now, if eventually these discus start pairing up and spawning, and IF I put the pair in their own tank, am I jeopardizing the discus fry when they go free swimming? Will their own parents eat them cuz they are already used to chasing and eating the guppy babies right now?

I realize each fish has their own personalities and it is luck of the draw if you get good discus parents. Not even sure I will start setting up breeding tanks but this question popped into my head as I saw them chasing guppies.

AmberC
02-04-2006, 07:33 PM
Well I'm definitely no expert, but I would think they would know the difference between their own fry and fry from other fish. I watch my discus with their fry and they truly are great parents! The fry only eat of the male and he moves ever so slowly to allow them to stay attached. If he gets frightened, he wont even take off (every once in a while they spook at my three year old running past the tank... usually they are fine with that tho lol)

I think you'd never really know until it happens though just because every discus is different. I know not all of them are 'great' parents. This is just my opinion. :)