PDA

View Full Version : cleaning aqua clears

sean13
02-04-2006, 11:55 PM
How often should I clean my aqua clear in my 29g?

I should clean the 3 cartriges at diffrent times to avoid bacteria blooms right?

Sean

ed8t
02-16-2006, 11:25 PM
I clean my Aquaclears about every 6 to 8 weeks. I use a prefilter over the intake that limits the debris into the unit. Not sure what you mean by cartridges, but I squeeze out the sponge media and biomax in used tank water all at once.

Ardan
02-17-2006, 07:12 PM
I don't use any carbon,
I think they have now carbon, sponge and biomax (ceramics?).
I only use sponges inside and one on the intake tube (prefilter)
Prefilter cleaned daily.

hth
Ardan

alpine
02-17-2006, 07:43 PM
Sean, do not use the carbon. I cleaned the filter once a month, Squeeze the sponge in tank water (outside the tank :) ) , the biomax media and take the canister and drain it and clean the slime inside the box. Like Ardan says , use a hydro Pre Filter, it helps a lot. I clean the prefilter sponge every third water change

roberto.
Edit. sorry. " do not use carbon " . I meant to say I do not find a need to use carbon in every day use , only I hear it is used to remove medications ,etc so I Do Not Use it.

candyl70
02-17-2006, 08:11 PM
Using Carbon is fine, just make sure that once a month it is replaced. If you don't you may then have some problems.

chago09
02-18-2006, 07:33 PM
I don't undertsand I always understood that all that slime and stuff in the filter is good for my tank. So if I clean that all and my sponges then won't my tank recylce????

alpine
02-18-2006, 07:53 PM
Chago, the slime might contain bacteria that is not the kind we need in our sponges and biological filter material. It is the same slime that builds on the tank walls which you should clean often.I do every two days.

roberto.

Timbo
02-18-2006, 08:24 PM
i'd also ditch the carbon media and use another sponge in there

lotsa folks say carbon unnecessary, some say its evil..so i dont bother