PDA

View Full Version : Algae clean up crew

chago09
02-09-2006, 12:41 PM
I have tried otto's and they all died because of the high temp water. I tried raising the temp slowly while in quarantine and I have tried it three times. All three times they died at like 82 or 83. So they won't live in the discus tank at 85. I have also tried common pleco long time ago in a Oscar tank and I don't want another sea monster(they get way too big) any other good fish. I have seen a lot of nice looking plecos like ones with gold dots and stuff but i do not know anything about them and don't know if they will survive the heat. I could use some help deciding who I should hire for my clean up crew???
thanx

Roer
02-09-2006, 01:15 PM
Caridina japonica, Crossocheilus siamensis and Ancistrus dolichopterus are good algae eaters in a discus tank.

scans
02-09-2006, 07:42 PM
Albino Bristle Nose Pleco
Farlowella Cat
Malaysian trumpet snails
If you are gonna use snails be sure to get some loaches to keep them under control. I beleive Kuhli and clown work the best.

Bainbridge Mike
02-09-2006, 08:42 PM
There are dozens of small-growing suckermouth catfish in the ancistrus/parancistrus family that can take higher temps. As long as you make sure you get one that does not exceed 5 or 6 inches, they will probably work out ok. The larger growing plecos get a taste for fish slime and can get aggressive towards your discus.

nacra99
02-09-2006, 10:06 PM
Olive Nerite snails work great for me. They lay eggs which don't hatch in FW so you don't have to worry about snail infestation. They even get rid of the "tough green spot" algae on the glass.

You can get them here www.azgardens.com

Cheers
Marc

wheeler
02-14-2006, 04:44 AM
i have seen Siamese Algae Eaters (SAE) in a Discus tank and they seem to have been doing fine. They are relatively cheap in this area and don't really get all that big. Other dwarf plecos will be fine as well, such as Bristlenose, Thomsoni, Clown, or Gold Nuggets. Hope this helps.

standoyo
02-17-2006, 08:11 AM
hi chago,

what kind of algae are you up against? is your tank planted? at 85F i presume it's not...