PDA

View Full Version : heaters and gravel...a few questions

moggyfish
02-21-2006, 01:00 AM
I have a used 90 gallon uniquarium, and I'm wondering just how many watts I'll need to heat it. It came with a 250 watt heater, but I'm not sure that's enough. At 5 watts per gallon, I would need 450 watts, so I'm considering getting another 250 watt heater.

Also, I know bare-bottom (tanks) are best, but if I wanted a small amount of gravel, what size would be the easiest to maintain?

Thanks in advance for your help.

moggyfish

cobaltblue
02-21-2006, 01:03 AM
Hi Moggyfish,

In My 90g planted tank i run 2, 250w heaters. That way, should one break down, the other can still handle the load if need be till you buy a new one.

I have flourite for substrate in my 90g planted, and silica sand in my 125g tank. The sand is definately easier IMO for cleaning, as the debris sits right on top and vacuums away nicely. Plus, you can see it very easily against the white colour.

scans
02-21-2006, 09:50 AM
I would also recommend the multiple heater route. My 240 uses 2 500w heaters run by a jemco controller (I love it!). And I also use sand in my tank. I like the look and not too bad for cleaning.

Dissident
02-21-2006, 11:31 AM
The multiple heaters are a great way to go. I would reccomend a contoller for them because it can be tricky to get 2 heaters in sync.

moggyfish
02-21-2006, 08:15 PM
Thanks for your replies, everyone!

I have a quick question--exactly what is a controller and where can I purchase one?

moggyfish

scans
02-21-2006, 08:43 PM
Jehmco has the controllers and heaters...

http://www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/HARDWARE_/Temperature_Controller/temperature_controller.html

Squiggy
02-21-2006, 09:17 PM
The multiple heaters are a great way to go. I would reccomend a contoller for them because it can be tricky to get 2 heaters in sync.

Why would you want them in sync? Wouldn't it be better to allow the heater to detect the temp at its location? This would reduce any thermoclimbs over the length of the tank.

Just an opinion...;)

Dissident
02-21-2006, 09:27 PM
Why would you want them in sync? Wouldn't it be better to allow the heater to detect the temp at its location? This would reduce any thermoclimbs over the length of the tank.

Just an opinion...;)

If you have good water circulation in the tank it should remain a constant temp. Otherwise you may be overworking one heater and the other one is just for show.

Cosmo
02-21-2006, 10:20 PM
Go to Jehmco.com, they have an excellent article on how individual heater thermostats turn themselves on/off and the variances that differ from heater to heater (even of the same brand) that often cause 1 heater to do most of the work.

In my 180, I have 4 - 250 watt Stealth heaters slaved to the Jehmco controller and the temps as stable as a rock. I started with the 2 500 wat titanium heaters too, but after awhile they began to discolor -

Also heaters like the stealth (or ebo etc) that have internal thermostats will theoretically turn themselves off once they reach their max setting, so if the controller sticks you shouldn't be able to boil your fish. Conversely, if one heater sticks, the controller will turn it off at the correct temp. With the titaniums that don't have internal thermostats, they'll just keep cooking and cooking if the controller ever goes out of whack...

Jim

moggyfish
02-22-2006, 01:03 AM
Wow...a controller is something I never considered before, but it does make a lot of sense. I'm really not anxious to spend an extra $75, of course, but it seems well worth it.