PDA

View Full Version : Price of wild large discus???

Derock
02-23-2006, 10:57 PM
Local big chain aquarium store in town has several big discus, live caught asking 187 each ...is this a good price ...they seem healthy but they are a drab brown/blue color...will they color up under the right conditions? Thanks

goheel
02-23-2006, 11:04 PM
That seems a bit much. Wild discus usually go for under $100. Of course, fish stores always mark up the price.

RyanH
02-24-2006, 12:29 AM
That is pretty steep for common blues or browns. There are people here that sell those same strains for around $50 each.

billeagan
02-24-2006, 01:31 AM
Seems extremely steep. You should stop in and ask them if that price is for the lot =) LOL

lkleung007
02-24-2006, 02:41 AM
Hi,

Yeah the price seem a bit high...but that depends on what you are getting. For browns, royal blue, alenquers...many importers charge $50-75 range but a pet store will mark it up to cover expense, etc. Just remember that if you order them from an importer, you will need to pay shipping also.

Regards, Lester

grelot
02-24-2006, 09:12 AM
but it is still lower that Oliver's price
on the last price list I got from him he had nothing under 400$ each.
Probably not the same quality though

AmazonRainbows
02-24-2006, 09:27 AM
My LFS sold it at $99 C.A.D. each. Are you beginner with Discus? Each wild I see in my LFS have a different deases right there in the store tank. I had a very bad experience with this. My LFS sold me German breed Discus and they where colorfull, very looking great and healty. I buy a wild from it and put it in the tank. Since then i'm going form desease to desease. The wild is dead now 6 weeks later.

fishfarm
02-24-2006, 03:27 PM
How Oliver gets what he does for wild discus amazes me, I sell wilds from $25-$80. Most in the $35-$50 range. Ken

Cosmo
02-24-2006, 07:39 PM
The price of wilds can vary greatly dependent upon the rarity of the strain in question. The LFS price is way too high for a brown, but would be really cheap for one of the more exotic hard to obtain strains.

Jim

RyanGSP
02-24-2006, 09:03 PM
I got my wild brown for 30 bucks.

Dissident
02-24-2006, 11:06 PM
Just another reason to go through a breeder... local or shipped.

ItsGeoff
02-25-2006, 10:22 AM
I got my wild brown for 30 bucks.

wow how'd you do that??

lkleung007
02-25-2006, 11:39 AM
Hi Derock,

Prices of wilds do vary quite a bit...Not only does Oliver sells his for a high price but Samson at Universal Discus also sells many of his Wilds in the $200 range each.

Good luck on finding the Wilds you want,
Lester

RyanGSP
02-25-2006, 12:06 PM
wow how'd you do that??

I have a good relationship withthe local fish Store and I see all his ordering lists. I get them at cost plus shipping.

architect1
02-25-2006, 10:03 PM
I have seen big wilds for 80$ each around maybe 6 to 7 inches. all brown with blue in there fins.

ItsGeoff
02-26-2006, 11:42 AM
I have a good relationship withthe local fish Store and I see all his ordering lists. I get them at cost plus shipping.

ah sounds good. im going to try and work out that same deal with my boos cause i talked to him about wilds yesterday and he said sure i can get you some. just lemme know what color cause heckels, browns, blues and greens are all on the list. :D

jgonzalez
03-01-2006, 09:37 AM
In my country,Colombia. Wild browns and greens can be bought for only US$15-20 (CO$20,000.00-60,000.00) depending on size (usually the expensive ones range in the 6-7in range), just for reference, a blue/red Turq can sell for about US$50-$80 (2in), BDs and Platinums the same size can go up to a hundred. Chances are, that the wilds in your LHS come from here (Colombia is the major wild discus exporter to the US). So, to those 20 bucks add some s&h + LHS profit, that'll help you calculate if they are overprized or not. I've never seen a Heckel down here, so I presume we don't export those...

ItsGeoff
03-01-2006, 10:33 PM
heckels get exported. i saw them at a shop up here a few weeks ago and they showed up on our special order list. could be the time of year though that certain colors are easier had then others.

fishfarm
03-02-2006, 03:32 PM
All Colombian discus are technically Greens, Some are just browner than others. Heckels come from Brazil. Here is a distribution map of the wild types of discus. Browns are the farthest east (brown dots) Blues in the middle amazon (blue dots)and overlaping with Heckels (yellow dots) and Greens in the west including Peru and Colombia. There are also lots of intergrade from hybrid fish where different types mix as the edges of there ranges, Thus the red Ica type fish with heckel bars. Ken

Tad
03-02-2006, 11:43 PM
Ken,
Wow havent seen that map in a long time, Looks like the map Oliver Lucanus created for me a long time ago!

it is a great reference of the different Subs habitats,

Tad

PS: Ive paid as high as $225 for wilds to as low as $45...otherwise quite a price range.

jeep
03-04-2006, 10:59 AM
I remember that map too! Do you guys have the larger version that shows more detail? It was pretty interesting...

Greg Richardson
03-04-2006, 11:55 AM
I'm interested in the link to the large map also if anyone has it. TIA.

Tad
03-04-2006, 01:45 PM
Jeep and Greg,

I used to have it in my email from Oliver...but after a puter crash...Im pretty sure its gone.....:o ....hopefully Ken can post a bigger version...or RyanS can go to the old archives of Simply (old format) where Francisco B, posted it in the old wilds section...
The map clearly showed where the various subs were located and the mixing areas where they cross bred....also shows the geographical and city names for reference..

Tad

Update: Sorry guys, dont have it on my puter, RyanS did recover the old picture from archives and its the same size....so this is the best it gets short of me asking Oliver do redo it LOL...

Jason
03-05-2006, 08:56 PM
In my country,Colombia. Wild browns and greens can be bought for only US$15-20 (CO$20,000.00-60,000.00) depending on size (usually the expensive ones range in the 6-7in range), just for reference, a blue/red Turq can sell for about US$50-$80 (2in), BDs and Platinums the same size can go up to a hundred. Chances are, that the wilds in your LHS come from here (Colombia is the major wild discus exporter to the US). So, to those 20 bucks add some s&h + LHS profit, that'll help you calculate if they are overprized or not. I've never seen a Heckel down here, so I presume we don't export those...

Is it possible that there are other types of discus or larger distribution areas that just haven't been discovered yet due to the marxist rebels?

fishfarm
03-06-2006, 10:56 AM
I got the map from Oliver and use it in one of my discus programs, It shows up better on the screen, You may be able to enlarge it with photo shop without to much distortion. Ken

jgonzalez
03-06-2006, 03:55 PM
Is it possible that there are other types of discus or larger distribution areas that just haven't been discovered yet due to the marxist rebels?

Yes, Jason, it is very possible. As a matter of fact I'm sure that without an armed conflict prices could be even lower. The only problem that really desturbs me is the fact that wilds could be in risk due to extreme comercialization.:( Many aquarium-trade species are being threatened by their non-controled capture like the mighty Silver and Black Arowanas.

P.D. "Marxist rebels" euphanism for narcotraffic/terrorist army....:mad:

Jason
03-06-2006, 10:09 PM
thats sad to hear, I hope the turmoil in your country ends someday.

peterrabit
01-16-2012, 07:10 PM
This is just a test to help me learn how to use the forum.
Thank You.