PDA

View Full Version : sediment

cobaltblue
02-24-2006, 02:56 AM
In my 90g planted (low tech) tank, all my plants and driftwood are always covered in a brown dusting (sediment or dirt or whatever). I was always told discus dont like alot of water movement, so i only have a fluval 404 in there and it is only operating at about half speed, as at full speed the powerhead is quite strong. That is the only powerhead in the tank. I suppose the sediment is due to lack of water circulation\flow. How much flow can discus take? Should i increase the fluval to full power, or maybe get another powerhead or an aquaclear 110 for the other side of the tank or what. I really dont like the look of all the dirt buildup on my plants and driftwood. My substrate is florite.
Thanks

Kindredspirit
02-24-2006, 05:37 AM
Hey Chris~

I won't be much help, but I wanted to say that in most of my tanks my water flow from all the filters is .........shall we say...definitely present! I can not seem to find a happy medium on any of them....
And sometimes the discus will pass by and a tiny wave will sweep them away, only to come right back! Itz hella funny! They do not seem to mind it at all.....

Never have ~ and itz the way it has always been ~

hth ( a tad ? )

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

pcsb23
02-24-2006, 05:50 AM
Chris,

So long as it doesn't hit reef proportions discus don't seem to mind some movement. With wood in you tank they can always fall back into an eddy if they want but I bet most of the time they won't. Just watch when feeding, make sure it dosn' sweep all the food away! Florite can and does put up some debris for a while, it will settle eventually!

Paul.

Westie
02-24-2006, 06:40 AM
Well, as the house racer, in my 90g all 3 heads 150's are on full blast. 2 for current, 1 thru the UV and, more current I guess. They love it! Its like Laguna Seca in there! I have been told its like river water. And, they are soo pumped!

I still get the icky's. Not ick though. Just the cruddy deposits. I find a 1/2 tube does wonders for spot cleaning. What can we do? (goes back to heine)

splash-oh yeah CobaltBlue, your post is crap without a stunning photo!