PDA

View Full Version : Opinions: How many strains in a 90-gal tank?

RobMc
02-25-2006, 06:51 PM
There seems to be a pretty good agreement in the 'how many in a 90-gal' thread father down. But here's a question to involve your artistic side: how many different strains/colors should the 7-10 discus be? Just one or two? Three or four in twos? As many as possible? Remember I am not trying to breed and this will be my one and only 'show' tank.

What would you do?

Rob

II j L c II
02-25-2006, 06:55 PM
Like you, I want a show tank as well. I'm just putting 1 of each type of strain I like. This way I get to enjoy every discus!

Jon

candyl70
02-25-2006, 07:00 PM
You can put any strain in there that you want :D I think Al said "Discus are Discus". Have fun!!!

Candy

Jarrod
02-25-2006, 09:39 PM
IMHO if you're not going to breed and just want to enjoy them then any strains you find asthetically pleasing would be the way to go...if you want a particular color scheme (fish wise) in your tank then you could pick and choose whatever strikes your fancy color wise.. and go with those if a color scheme isn't so important then you could go with any color you choose as long as you find them pleasing..breeding and such is a whole nother subject to delve into and think about...but to me sounds like you just want to enjoy the beauty of your tank and its inhabitants...and hey that is a good thing!! hth:)
Jarrod

AmberC
02-25-2006, 10:15 PM
I agree that variety is good. Thats what I want with my tank. I want lots of different strains/colors. I love all the different patterns and colors that each discus has and I think that would look awesome :D
Amber

Carol_Roberts
02-26-2006, 10:30 PM
If you are an artist think of the color wheel and your tank as a palette. A monochromatic tank with all one color can be very striking. Also pretty is two primary colors such as blue diamonds and red turquoise.

ShinShin
02-26-2006, 10:53 PM
I totally agree with Carol. I've seen tanks with 1 each of many varieties and it just didn't look pleasing to me. Blue Diamonds and Red Turquois look good as would some nice Red Snakeskins and San Merahs (or Rose Reds if you can't find San Merahs). Red Turquois and Red Melons would also be nice. So would Red Turquois and Red Alenquers.

Mat

Ryan
02-26-2006, 11:27 PM
Or get some white butterflies and blue diamonds and have a blue and white tank... or WB, BD, and San Merah and have a red, white, and blue tank :) Like Carol and Mat said, sometimes picking two or three color types and having several fish of each is more visual than 1 of several different strains...

Ryan

II j L c II
02-27-2006, 01:07 AM
WB, BD, RT = American Tank lol. In the end, do what pleases you.

Jon

RyanH
02-27-2006, 01:49 AM
I keep waiting for a clean, high quality yellow strain. I'd have a tank of blue and yellow fish in a heartbeat. :p

KIWI13
02-27-2006, 06:21 AM
Totally agree with you Ryan.. Blue and Yellow would be da Bomb...

I have 6 BD's and they really look nice, just like Carol mentioned, the monotone is striking.. I have a blue background in there too and it really looks like a minimalist painting..

I am not a big fan of mixing every single strain out there.. Too many colours give me a headache.. LOL

My next mission is to have a tank of spotteds.. just spotteds..

Jas:)

Timbo
02-27-2006, 09:12 AM
My next mission is to have a tank of spotteds.. just spotteds..

Jas:)

me too Jason. SPOTZ!

KIWI13
02-27-2006, 09:17 AM
ok Timbo we will have to make sure we get the best then.. LOL.

We can then hold the world ransom to the best spots in the hobby...

J;)

turkis
02-27-2006, 09:28 AM
Hi Jason,
How about a discus with white background, slight green on the fins and red spotted body with albino eyes. How do you think they look like in a tank.
Mario