PDA

View Full Version : They Eat Eye Balls!!

Kindredspirit
03-04-2006, 07:39 PM
While at this lfs weeks ago, I was interested in these blue little fish ~ they are called Fruit Tetras ~ I loved the color... there is a pink one too, as Ryan pointed out...i had never noticed it before ~ tells ya something ~

The owner told me that there is a "teensy weensy problem" with this fish in that they tend to eat each other's eye balls! So I looked in the tank and low and behold, there were quite a few that had one eye, and many that didnt have any!!! But still swimming around ~

Needless to say, I didnt buy any ~ but here are some pics ~

Kindredspirit
03-04-2006, 07:40 PM
one more ~

ItsGeoff
03-04-2006, 07:49 PM
i have those at work. they are a white skirt tetra. and they artificially color them with dye and name them after various fruits. i have blue and pink ones at work, and we sell them as blueberry and strawberry tetras.

they also come in other flavor..i mean colors such as orange, grape, apple etc etc.

as far as them eating out eye balls im not sure about that. they have the same manorism as a black skirt tetra, a sometimes noted fin nipper and not the best for discus.

Ryan
03-04-2006, 08:48 PM
I've kept the white skirts for a long time. Usually friends would buy the dyed ones and they would fade to white, so they didn't want them anymore and I would take them. They make decent dither fish for smaller SA cichlids like rams, angels, etc. However, in all the groups of them I've had, I've never had them eat each others' eyes.

Ryan

Cosmo
03-04-2006, 09:53 PM
Didn't notice any missing eyes in the pics :confused:

Timbo
03-04-2006, 09:56 PM
low and behold, there were quite a few that had one eye, and many that didnt have any!!!

why didnt you get a picture of any of them? :)

tdr1919
03-04-2006, 10:04 PM
Marie,
maybe they were just kepping an eye out for you!

- Tom

Kindredspirit
03-04-2006, 10:31 PM
why didnt you get a picture of any of them? :)

because TIMBO....i took the pics with my camera phone and after I checked out the tank with the owner, my phone was dead ~

But it was sad to see that ~

Perhaps I shall return just for you and Jim ~ my two fav people!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/18/18_6_7.gif

Kindredspirit
03-04-2006, 10:32 PM
Marie,
maybe they were just kepping an eye out for you!

- Tom

Might be a good thing, Tom!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_12_17.gif