PDA

View Full Version : discus with shrimp

sanghan47558
03-07-2006, 12:24 AM
www.azgardens.com

which of the shrimps from this site would be good in a discus show tank? I would really like to add shrimp when I am ready to convert my 240 gallon reef.

timotel
03-07-2006, 02:35 AM
I would not buy any shrimp from them. They charge to much and die to easily. I would recommend amano shrimp since they are larger and doesn't fit into a discus mouth.

Kweenshaker
03-07-2006, 11:35 AM
I'd go for the Brazilian Yellow-Belly Grass Shrimp. They're bigger than the amano shrimp and come from south america.

Alight
03-07-2006, 08:14 PM
From a google search on "Brazilian Yellow-Belly Grass Shrimp"

from the Petshrimp.com site:

"I don't know where you got your information. There is no such shrimp and and picture that is shown there is stolen from a German website which is showing a very small Macrobrachium from Mexico. If you order these shrimp you will probably get several different species of shrimp, none of which are from Brazil. "

sanghan47558
03-08-2006, 03:48 AM
hm so you guys dont recommend shrimp?
I was thinking about the blue crayfish? will they ttack the discus?

MiamiDan
03-08-2006, 10:41 AM
Before you get into shrimps, check out their needs. I bought about 20 Amano shrimps & they did great with a goldfish tank at temps 76-78 F, then I converted it to Discus & raised the temp to 84F & all the shrimp died slowly. :( IMHO, shrimps like cold water.

Dissident
03-08-2006, 06:25 PM
I have to agree, although shrimp are nice. Warm temps and being eaten they don't tend to last long. Even with neocardina species that are not too small got eaten by my congo tetras and the amano were great snacks for my discus.

pcsb23
03-08-2006, 06:46 PM
Crayfish are real nice on a barbie, glass of beer some dips and enjoy..

Seriously though even the so-called small ones get big. If you want to keep one put it in a tank without discus, they are very nice creatures. Also don't think they would cope with the temps very well either.

Paul.

sanghan47558
03-08-2006, 10:12 PM
Thanks guys!
Iguess no shrimp or lobsters then

what kind of tank mates do you guys reccommend besides cardinals and rams?

MiamiDan
03-09-2006, 10:03 AM
Thanks guys!
Iguess no shrimp or lobsters then

what kind of tank mates do you guys reccommend besides cardinals and rams?

I would recommend experimenting with Apple Snails. These things can get to be hughe, about the size of a golf ball & won't mess with anybody, besides they will take care of cleaning the tank.:D I have 4 on a Discus tank, with high temps, and no problems after 6 months. They reproduce outside the water line, so if you don't want more, simly remove the egg clutch. So far, mine haven't reproduced. Mind you, if you have a breeding pair, then they might eat the eggs, like anything else.

Dissident
03-09-2006, 11:51 AM
I am a big fan lof loaches. The smaller ones are a lot better to be kept with Discus. Botia Striata are my absolute fovorite. Yo-Yos make good tank mates. Get them in a nice size group 5-8 minimum but in a 240 gallon I would look at 15-20 of them. I have 9 in my 110gal and they are very happy in there. I may add a few more yet ;)