PDA

View Full Version : help help for Neon Tetras

CoKen
03-11-2006, 03:32 AM
hi guys

i was a bit concerned for my 20 newly bought neon tetras. i bought them from the shop, they are well present in the shop tank. when i took them back to my home and put them into my new tank, they are appeared to be very panic, scared of light, never swim in the tank, they stick together in the corner of the tank, usually the dim corner, and they swim in a panic manner, seem like they are looking somewhere to escape from the tank. oh no, what it's happenning???? help help, can anyone give some advise, thank you thank you.

my tank water temperature is 29.5 degree, 6.8 to 7 PH, the tank was new, the water is new but has been aged/cycling for 4 days, chlorine and ammonia reduction solution had been used immediately after the tank was filled with tap water 4 days ago. there are 2 amazon sword plants in the tank (bought at the same time with the neon tetra)

i have a 1.2m light tube, when i turn off this light tube, the neon tetras seem to be a bit relax, but when i turn the light on again, they are panic again. apparently, they are scared of light, why are they like this?

pls help.

much thanks from you guys.

rgds
Ken

White Worm
03-11-2006, 04:42 AM
Neon tetras dont do well at higher temps. At 84 or 85, you are bordering on cooking them. I went up 2 degrees from 84 and they all cooked and died within seconds. Get some cardinal tetras that do better at higher temps.

pcsb23
03-11-2006, 05:44 AM
Ken,

Mike is right, if you dump neons in to water at a high temp it will immediately stress them. You can acclimate them, it takes time but can be done. You also need to make sure the water quality is right, they are as sensitive as discus imo. Your ph is good, check ammonia and nitrtite, these should be 0, if not do a w/c. Also drop the temp to 26C for now, then every other day put the temp up a little, like 0.5c. they will adjust given time.

Paul.

Sharn
03-11-2006, 05:52 AM
you say the water has been in the tank for 4 days and you added the ammonia binder at the time of filling? your tank is not cycled unless you used something like bio-spira and added your fish immediatly or something for it to feed on in the meantime. if you added established substrate, filters etc it may speed it up a bit otherwise youve got a month or so to wait it out the old fashioned way :)

CoKen
03-11-2006, 08:16 AM
hi guys

thanks for your advise, i have changed the water temp to 26 degree now, but i saw the water temp at the shop tank where these neon tetras were kept, it is also showing 30 degrees.

i observe their movement for long time tonight, i notice they are still very scared of light, strange, at one stage, where the light was off, i notice, they swim as a school of neon tetra freely around the tank, up and down, very nice, then, i turn on the light again, oh no, they almost immediately getting back to the dim corner and hiding, the worst thing is, they are all panic and also stressfull, one or two neon even swim like shooting up and down.

rgds
Ken

pcsb23
03-11-2006, 09:14 AM
Ken,

Keep a check on your water params, ammonia and nitrites.

Paul.

chago09
03-14-2006, 11:59 PM
ya i tried going with neons in my discus tank. I was pretty succesful though... I bought 8 and 5 are alive now. I know thats not good but most people say they die right away in the hot water. I just got lucky I guess. I still have the 5 for about 3 months now and won't be adding anymore. I'm just gonna let them be and probably leave my discus tank as just a discus tank after the neons die.