PDA

View Full Version : Bolivian or Blue rams with discus?

traco
03-11-2006, 02:42 PM
Which of the two are easier to keep? I know the blue rams have a short life span; do the bolivians also? Is one more sensitive to water quality than the other or they both pretty much the same as discus for water quality?

The bolivians get bigger than the blues? One or the other more aggressive?

I am thinking of getting maybe 2-3 rams, QT in a 20 gallon and then into my 90 gallon discus tank with my 6 discus who are a year old. A BN pleco and 3 cories are also in the tank.

Tanks, guys and gals.:sun:

Dood Lee
03-11-2006, 03:39 PM
IMO, German Blue Rams have better coloration, and they stay relatively small (about 2-3 inches). They do have short lifespans though. Try to get them when they are young.

korbi_doc
03-12-2006, 12:02 PM
IMO, German Blue Rams have better coloration, and they stay relatively small (about 2-3 inches). They do have short lifespans though. Try to get them when they are young.

:D I agree, have had Bolivians for past 2+yrs & only 1 left.. haven't been happy with them cuz I really like the german blues much more. I would not settle next time, will have the german blues, even tho either 1 has short life span,...both get along well with discus & are easy keepers, never any problems, JMO, Dottie

tpl*co
03-12-2006, 01:01 PM
I don't know about blue rams being smaller than bolivian's though, I saw those pairs of Kenny's and they were HUGE! (as big as bolivians I've seen at LFS, but they are supposed to be smaller as a rule). They do well with discus and are more colorful than bolivians.

Tina

Dood Lee
03-12-2006, 02:04 PM
I don't know about blue rams being smaller than bolivian's though, I saw those pairs of Kenny's and they were HUGE! (as big as bolivians I've seen at LFS, but they are supposed to be smaller as a rule). They do well with discus and are more colorful than bolivians.

Tina

Well, the german blues do get to be about 3 inches, and they can get really fat too. So yeah, they can get big. But they are really nice, friendly fish. That's what I like about them. Like my discus, they come to the front when I walk by. I've never seen them quarrel with another fish, except for the other rams. They usually don't hurt each other though, I think it's just playful pecking or whatever.

traco
03-12-2006, 06:49 PM
So, I got 4 blue rams today. They are in the 20 gallon as we speak, still in the bags to match temperature. How do you guys acclimate yours? Once bag is open, pour into tank or do you add a bit of the tank water, a few times more and then pour in tank?

They have been in the bags for 2 hours now = time from the store, travel time home to right now.

hexed
03-13-2006, 12:55 AM
Barb,
Do not pour them into the tank. Net them and throw away the water in the bags and the bags :)

JeffreyRichard
03-13-2006, 10:49 AM
Bolivians are significantly longer lived ... I had a tankful (with discus) for over 4 years. They will get bigger too. But either a good tankmates ... the Blues are more colorful in my opinion, so it comes down to personal preferences.