PDA

View Full Version : Discus in a 90G Tank

BobB
03-12-2006, 01:41 AM
I am thinking about setting up a 90G Discus Tank, and I have a few questions.
1) I understand using RO/DI Water is a must-Right or Wrong

2) Where would you recommend for a novice to purchase good quality Discus.

3) How many could be raised in a 90G Tank.

4) Foods, which ones should I use?

5) Aquascaping- I am thinking fake plants and a minimum of gravel just to cover the bottom.

Thoughts and Input Greatly appreciated!

BobB
03-12-2006, 01:47 AM
oops.
Is a Eheim Canister Filter Good. or do you recommend sponge filters?

Ardan
03-12-2006, 02:22 AM
Hi,
1. not a must unless the water is very very hard or high in chloramines (maybe)
most tap water is fine. just list the ph, hardness, kh, ammonia or chloramines and we can go from there
2.look in the sponsor section, there are a lot of good ones. I got mine from CTdiscus, Al Sabetta (brewmaster15) I am happy
3. 90 gal you could have a dozen, but better to go on the light side of 6 yo 9 (less bio load)
4. foods I use are tetrabits, live red wiggler worms, beefheart, frozen hikari bloodworms, but best to ask the seller what they are currently eating and go from there
5. I like no gravel, no plants, easier to clean and the fish look great, they need clean water and tank. Some people do very well with plants, but there is a bit more to getting it established and balanced well.
6. I don't like canisters, harder to clean and if a power outage, the bacteria in it die faster than a hang on the back filter or a sponge filter.
I use hang on the back aquaclears with sponges in it only. no charcoal.

hth
best of luck:)
Ardan

Dood Lee
03-12-2006, 04:58 AM
oops.
Is a Eheim Canister Filter Good. or do you recommend sponge filters?

Depends. If the power goes out around your area frequently, then canisters would probably cause you more trouble than they are worth. However, canisters and wet/dry filters (sumps) are pretty much the best kind of filtration you can get for a large size tank.

BIGFOOT
03-12-2006, 11:11 AM
Depends. If the power goes out around your area frequently, then canisters would probably cause you more trouble than they are worth. However, canisters and wet/dry filters (sumps) are pretty much the best kind of filtration you can get for a large size tank.

Don't need the best filters just some place for bacteria to live as long as you stay up on the water changes.

Dood Lee
03-12-2006, 01:57 PM
Don't need the best filters just some place for bacteria to live as long as you stay up on the water changes.

True, but canisters and wet/drys really help out in terms of maintanence. My friends who have sumps literally just top off water in case the levels get too low, and replace the sponges when they get dirty. The bio capacity of a sump is also unmatched by other types of filters. There is no need to ever break down a sump, so it's the "ultimate" filter if you will.

I personally use an eheim canister, and I literally clean it every 2-3 months. People think that doing such a thing will affect water quality, but it never has, in my experience. Cleaning my eheim literally takes me only 5-10 minutes. I just change the fine mesh sponge, and wash out the course ones and the bio media.

What I love about canisters and sumps is the filtration capacity. My canister can hold about 2 litres of filter media, and sumps can hold more. You would need like 3-4 AC500 (AC110) filters to even match the filtration capacity of even the low end canisters.

In the end, the decision to buy a filter will depend solely on which type will give you the easiest time maintaining proper water conditions for your fish. That said, having really good filters goes a long way. I only have to worry about my weekly water changes and examining my water params. Keep in mind I have a fully planted tank. So if my canister keeps my tank crystal clear, then it will pretty much do the same for a BB tank.

CliffsDiscus
03-12-2006, 02:31 PM
BobB,

Keep up with the waterchanges, they need pure clean water even if you have
the highest tech filters. Purchase from a local breeder, check out their breeding
stock, see if they have small Discus one or two weeks old this is to insure that they
are not importers, if most of the small Discus are 2 inchers they are most likely importing.

Cliff

ShinShin
03-12-2006, 02:57 PM
1) Discus perfer soft acidic water. What are your parameters?

2) Cliff offered you great advice on where to purchase

3) Depending on the your maintainance dedication to water changes and maintainance. I'd suggest 8-10. A few more if you are on top of your w/c's and maintainance. One problem would be, if you kept the upper limits and you have a disease problem, it could be disasterous. I don't know your experience.

4) A good seafood mix with a quality pellet suppliment. Hikari frozen bloodworms, mysis shrimp, and brineshrimp can be added as well.

5) I recommend no substrate on the bottom of the tank.

Mat

Timbo
03-12-2006, 05:49 PM
i agree 100% with Arden

BobB
03-13-2006, 09:33 AM
I rarely have problems with power outages. But I will keep that in mind.