PDA

View Full Version : Is peppering a bad thing?

jgonzalez
03-13-2006, 04:11 PM
I personally find BPs with some peppering ineteresting. For what I've read, I have the impression that a fish with black peppering is not desirable. On my hands I have an European (Spanish) magazine with a BP with some heavy peppering at the cover... It makes me wonder, is that an euro-look americans don't like (like women with hair under their arms...)?:confused:

RyanH
03-13-2006, 04:19 PM
It's personal preference. I think peppering looks awful but I'm also not into hairy women either. :D :p

Some don't seem to mind peppering. I say, keep fish that bring you enjoyment and don't worry about what others think.

The general consensus seems to be that a clean PB is a quality PB.

-Ryan

Carol_Roberts
03-13-2006, 05:03 PM
Folks that choose covers for general fish magazines may not know what is desirable or undesirable in discus coloration. They look for the quality of the photo itself. In shows peppering is a fault.

pcsb23
03-13-2006, 05:26 PM
Peppering is considered a fault in the UK too, and I believe in Germany also.

ShinShin
03-13-2006, 06:11 PM
Well, it's not good. So, does that make it bad? I think that once a hobbyist becomes more astute in the science of discus keeping, faults like this gradually become more offensive. After looking at many great pics of discus and seeing many really good fish in person, all of a sudden that peppered or sooty PB becomes less attractive, less desirable.

Mat

discusfire4
03-13-2006, 08:18 PM
I agree with the peppering, some consider it a fault. But think of this, some of your best dogs come from dog pounds and not the pure bred dog.

RyanH
03-13-2006, 08:35 PM
Well, it's not good. So, does that make it bad? I think that once a hobbyist becomes more astute in the science of discus keeping, faults like this gradually become more offensive. After looking at many great pics of discus and seeing many really good fish in person, all of a sudden that peppered or sooty PB becomes less attractive, less desirable.

Mat

Mat makes a great point here. Once people have seen pigeons that look like this (http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=44306), it's hard to look at a pepper-covered football the same way again. :)

KIWI13
03-14-2006, 03:44 PM
Yes Barb has some magnificant fish... I think you all got valid points... But I have still seen the odd discus that looks nice peppered up.. LOL

Ryan you crack me up... hairy women.. where do you come up with such comparisons.... LMAO

Jas:p

Ax
03-14-2006, 05:48 PM
If you look for breeding; selection should be the best you can get - to improve or upkeep the quality:fish: . For personal enjoyment to each it’s own. I have one peppered Marlboro, that I would not sell or trade-of any fish, yet most of the time I am not keen on peppering:o .

JMArtist
03-14-2006, 05:59 PM
Peppering is bad, it's great on eggs, a little salt helps also. Yummy.

As you learn more about the hobby, you'll become more aware of what a quality fish is, and if you do have a fish with a lot of peppering, you'll learn how light colored backgrounds and surrounding can help reduce the amount of pepper a fish has. In some cases, the peppering can and will completely disappear....just like a Romulan Warbird using it's cloaking device.

Happy Discussing

alpine
03-14-2006, 07:59 PM
I have grown six Red Melons from babies, they are around fourteen months old now. Three of them are clean and three show some peppering . I have hopes of breeding a pair of these fish. The ones with peppering are still nice round fish. If I get a pair of one of each I figure I might continue with the breeding . I asumme that a pair w/ peppering and one pair that is clean would throw some with and some without peppering. Am I correct ? I will want to improve on the quality in the breeding .
Thanks,
roberto.

Riche_guy
03-15-2006, 04:32 PM
Can someone explain peppering? Any pictures. Why is it bad for the hobbist? I can imagine for contests or for breeding purposes, but just to show. If someone likes the fish isn't that most important? :antlers:

Breadhead
03-15-2006, 05:07 PM
Can someone explain peppering? Any pictures. Why is it bad for the hobbist? I can imagine for contests or for breeding purposes, but just to show. If someone likes the fish isn't that most important? :antlers:

Well, here is an example:

http://www.ualberta.ca/~gdegreef/gallery/discus18.jpg

They look like they got hit in the face with pepper.

jgonzalez
03-15-2006, 05:15 PM
I have grown six Red Melons from babies, they are around fourteen months old now. Three of them are clean and three show some peppering . I have hopes of breeding a pair of these fish. The ones with peppering are still nice round fish. If I get a pair of one of each I figure I might continue with the breeding . I asumme that a pair w/ peppering and one pair that is clean would throw some with and some without peppering. Am I correct ? I will want to improve on the quality in the breeding .
Thanks,
roberto.

Isn't endogamy a bad thing? is peppering a resesive gene or a dominant one? If it is dominant, is it the best desition to cull the peppered ones? Unless, you're looking for that evasive Solid Black....:alien:

Riche_guy
03-15-2006, 05:16 PM
Can young fish start off with peppering and lose it as they get older??

alpine
03-15-2006, 09:56 PM
endogamy
One entry found for endogamy.

Main Entry: en·dog·a·my
Pronunciation: en-'dä-g&-mE
Function: noun
: marriage within a specific group as required by custom or law
- en·dog·a·mous /-m&s/ adjective

endogamy
The opposite of exogamy: Sexual reproduction (http://www.thebiotechdictionary.com/term/endogamy//l) between organisms which are closely related to each other. Production of a zygote (an egg that has been fertilized by a sperm (http://www.thebiotechdictionary.com/term/endogamy//l)) by a simultaneous hermaphrodite (an organism which produces both sperm and eggs) using only its own gametes (eggs and sperm) without gamete contributions from other individuals. Marriage between members of the same restricted group, class, or caste.

Thanks for the reply jGonzalez . I like the colors of your Flag. Amarillo, azul y rojo.

I just received a reply to my question by someone who I highly respect their opinion and I was told breeding one slightly peppered melon to a clean and breeding two clean ones to each other would produce close to same ratio of peppered and non peppered fry. I just do not want to miss a chance of getting my first pair and not be able to work with them .

roberto.

jgonzalez
03-16-2006, 08:46 AM
Thank you Alpine. Have you ever been to Colombia?

alpine
03-16-2006, 06:31 PM
I grew up next door in Venezuela.
I sure would like to read that spanish discus magazine...

roberto.

jgonzalez
03-17-2006, 08:46 AM
The magazine is from Spain, and it was a special issue dedicated to discus, but normaly the magazine is about the aquaria hobby in general. The mag is sold down here. I don't remember the name right now, but as soon as I get home I'll post it for you.

DiscusinDaytona
03-17-2006, 02:46 PM
I am not fond of peppering. Have had some "outgrow" a lot of peppering (not all the way gone) and had some show up as they got older. Go figure. I have one that has too much pepper, such an ugly fish, but he's all mine and I keep him. Lots o personality.

Tina