PDA

View Full Version : New tank mates in my daughters tank.

brewmaster15
03-15-2006, 11:34 AM
My daughter has a 45 gal discus tank in her room...we are doing some work on my sons room so we moved him in with her..He also has a tank..a 55g mixed cichlid tank...They both respect their tanks and I have never had a problem with either of them....

WEll yesterday I put ethan in for a nap and since it was his first time there he was a bit active... finally settled down... after his nap we noticed that he had somehow managed to add some tankmates to his sisters 45 gal tall tank...

heres the list...

3 carebear stuffed animals
1 box of washable crayons...yes they really are non-toxic..they desolved and the discus are fine.
6 wooden thomas the tank engine trains..
1 pile of assorted laundry clothes
5 paper books..these are now mush
my daughters collection of barrets and hair thingies
1 sipie cup of milk
1 piglet stuffed animal
1 magic wand
1 vhs tape... barney (take a bath)

I am amazed that he managed this all so quietly.. but not surprised, he is very good at taking care of his stuff...but obviously his sisters is a different story. even the trains he threw in were his sisters.:(

I asked him what he was doing.... He told me he couldn't reach the fish food, and they were hungry.:( :) he was helping me.:angel:

How can you get mad at that?

-al

Ryan
03-15-2006, 11:40 AM
How can you get mad at that?

Ask his sister ;) What did she think of all that?

My cousin used to feed my fish with me when he was 2. I would sprinkle out some flake in his hand and let him throw it in. When I wasn't home one day, my mom let him go in and look at the fish... and he somehow managed to sneak back in later and dump an entire 6oz jar of flake into my tank.

Needless to say I spent a lot of time siphoning when I got home. The fish weren't hungry, though. lol

Ryan

tpl*co
03-15-2006, 11:42 AM
I'm surprised there is any water left! Didn't all that stuff absorb a lot? Uggghhhh, what a mess. LOL.

My daughter when she was little I mistakenly given her "Harold and the Purple Crayon" book.

Well, guess what I found on our walls! When she was punished she of course brought out the book and said "Well, he draws on the walls and HE doesn't get punished!" LOL!

Yes, when kids are quiet, that's when to worry :).

Tina

kaceyo
03-15-2006, 11:44 AM
Thats hilarious Al. I take it the fish lived through the feeding? I'd think the milk or ink from the books would be more than they could handle. Still, it sounds like there was some method to his badness. Barney-Take a Bath? HaHa

kacey

candyl70
03-15-2006, 11:55 AM
OMG!!! I am laughing so hard Al!! That is the cutest thing I have heard!! Although i'm sure I wouldn't think it was too funny if I had barney and milk in my tanks!! LOL

Sounds like you got yourself a real handful!! :D :D

marilyn1998
03-15-2006, 11:56 AM
Just goes to show how tough our fish can be!!!

I remember when my boys were 8 and 10. I had a 15 year old girl sitting them. Came home from work and the garage door was closed. When I opened it to park the car, found they had turned over a 5 gallon barrel of used motor oil and had been drving their bikes around in it!!!! THey were playing Indy 500.

Hope your son is a bit less active, but it shows imagination!!! Gotta love em!

AmberC
03-15-2006, 12:05 PM
LMAO!!!! Al that is hilarious! I'm sure the fish just loved it! TOO cute!
Amber

DarkDiscus
03-15-2006, 12:31 PM
Al,

You should have taken a picture! I bet that would have been something to see!!

John

brewmaster15
03-15-2006, 12:50 PM
John I would have...but my digital is in the shop and I just wanted to get all that junk out.. Carrie and I have been laughing about it non-stop.:)
-al

traco
03-15-2006, 01:40 PM
There must have hardly been any water left! And too bad about the camera not being around but I'm sure the memory will stick in your minds forever.

And he's 2 - 21/2? He's a thinker, for sure! His little brain going a million miles a minute. I forsee a very active life ahead for him and you two parents.:sun:

brewmaster15
03-15-2006, 03:06 PM
Barb,
The little rug rat will be 3 in June.:D He's a great kid and I love him to death but hes non stop action and inquiry...he can get into a mess in seconds and then grin at you so pleased with himself that you got to pick him and hug him!:D

-al

hexed
03-15-2006, 03:35 PM
LOL Al! I am still laughing LOL!
I can see him doing it too LMAO!
Frank

AADiscus
03-15-2006, 03:56 PM
That is too funny!! Stories like that are awesome to tell when they get older too. You will laugh each time you think about it. I to wish you had pictures. Did he help you take the stuff out?

cobaltblue
03-15-2006, 04:43 PM
Thats a great story Al. My youngest daughter turns 3 in June, and i can just picture her doing the same thing. Luckily , the worst she has done so far is dump and whole fish food container of plecos wafers in, which i caught pretty quick. Im glad the fish are all good, and you were able to laugh the situation off and realize kids will be kids. :D

pcsb23
03-15-2006, 05:00 PM
Tears to the eyes... Kids - who'd have 'em.

Kweenshaker
03-15-2006, 05:04 PM
LOL I'm glad the fish are ok.

ronrca
03-15-2006, 05:08 PM
Roflol! Wow Al, now Im going to be parainoid with kids! Too funny. Glad the fish were not harmed.

Spices
03-15-2006, 05:25 PM
:D (LOL)... That is pretty funny, Al. But I think you can attest to this (and roll in laughter too): :D

My kids laughed at me when I was first learned to keep fish. Remember, I used to use a papertowel with some water-diluted bleach to scrub the interior of the tank (from algae)? {LMAOL} (Yeah I hear ya laughing).

I'm lucky, my kids are teens and are pretty smart. They warned me not to do it but I did and was stubborn as heck to prove it can be done. LOL :D
Just that I got tired one day and accidentally knocked over the pint of bleach into the tank (and wiped out everyone). :mad:

Oh, well. Don't we all just love it when we learn on a daily basis. :D

*Angie**

brewmaster15
03-15-2006, 06:15 PM
Angie, I told you that bleach on the paper towel was a bad Idea:( glad you can laugh at it now,,,:D :D just please don't tell me you switched to windex;) :) :)

-al

pcsb23
03-15-2006, 06:36 PM
I used to test the water of each tank right in front of it. Once I tipped the completed Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and Phosphate tests straight back into the tank. Fish weren't happy, luckily didn't lose any but now do all my water testing away from the tanks!

CAGE-RATTLER
03-15-2006, 06:51 PM
OMG ........... that had to be a sight ...... lol.

Speaking of Windex .................. My sister thought it would be a good idea to clean the glass hood of theyre salt water tank with it (underneath too). The fish died almost instantly!!

That was an expensive lesson!

Ardan
03-15-2006, 07:35 PM
On to the fishroom!..........LOL:D
Looks like you have some interesting times yet to come AL!
Have fun:) ( I wonder if they are following in the old mans footsteps?):D

Ardan

Doug A
03-15-2006, 08:08 PM
That is just too funny!! Kids do some funny things. Glad the fish are ok! Did the crayons add some colors to the fish? :p

Spices
03-16-2006, 12:22 PM
Angie, I told you that bleach on the paper towel was a bad Idea:( glad you can laugh at it now,,,:D :D just please don't tell me you switched to windex;) :) :)

-al

:D:D:D
Nah...(Windex) too expensive to waste! :D Pure fresh water and the blue filter pad to scrub algae. Nothing more. LOL

senso
03-17-2006, 04:06 PM
Al

I am surprised that you inhibited Ethan expressing that creative streak. He may have something there that could lead to a career/ business aka Amano X Picasso.

Rossano