PDA

View Full Version : Tankmates for discus

Kweenshaker
03-15-2006, 05:12 PM
I hope this isn't overlapping much...if so, please point me in the right direction to find the info I'm looking for.

I've decided that I'm going to scratch the idea of getting a 55 gallon and will instead get a 72 bow. I'm pricing tanks now so that I can be all set by the time I actually am ready for some discus.

I know a lot of you don't like mixing your discus with other species, but I want to take a crack at it. So tell me what I could keep in the 72 (it will be bare bottom with potted plants and driftwood) and how many discus you would recommend. I do like corys and cardinals, as well as rams and albino plecos...but have no idea how many of each (if any) I should get. I will have a fluval 404 canister and maybe a regular HOB as well, if needed. I also plan on daily water changes, at least while the discus are young.

What would you do? What is a good combo for a 72?

Dood Lee
03-15-2006, 10:39 PM
For a tank that size, get around 15 cardinal tetras, 4-6 cory catfish, and maybe a pleco. A pair of rams should do well also. It's an awesome sight to see a school of tetras swimming along by the discus.

Kweenshaker
03-15-2006, 11:20 PM
I agree....I love the way the colour flashes when a group of tetras swims by. they seem to add to the brilliance that the discus already have.