PDA

View Full Version : New fish not eating

eahkmh
03-16-2006, 02:20 PM
Well I got my fish finally and they are great. Its been 24 hrs. now and they will not eat. They hide in the corners grouped together. The MR's look ok but the leopards are dark. Some of them have fins moving fast and there mouths. I checked all water params and they are good. I figure just from shipping and such and having a new home. Any suggestions?

RyanH
03-16-2006, 02:30 PM
This isn't entirely uncommon for newly arrive fish. I'd add some salt to the water and keep the lights off for another day or so. You can also turn the heat up to 88 to get their metabolisms going.

I would contact the seller to find out what they were eating readily prior to shipment and try feeding that. Move slowly around the tank and be aware of any shadows in the room. Tanks facing windows can really freak out Discus as they can only see your dark sillouette. Does the tank have something preventing them from seeing under the bottom? Discus can become uneasy when they can see under the tank for some reason.

Watch for white feces as it could be hex. Treat with metro if you spot any.

I will also usually treat for external and internal parasites on any new batch of fish that I get in just to be safe. Formalin and Prazi are both safe and effective treatments for a variety of parasites.

hth
-Ryan

lkleung007
03-16-2006, 02:37 PM
Hi,

Ryan beat me with his reply...yeah what he said. As usual, Ryan has given very good advice. In addition to what he suggested, I also use melafix for frayed or torn fins.

HTH and good luck with them,
Lester

White Worm
03-16-2006, 03:41 PM
Most dont try to feed newly shipped fish for 24 hours or so after arrival. Its not surprising that they are not eating yet. Time, rest, lights out and relaxation and in about 3-5 days they will be wagging tails when you approach the tank.

eahkmh
03-16-2006, 03:59 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. I got the lights out until morning and then i will see what happens. Some started pecking the gravel like they are hungry but i will be patient. One other concern I have is the largest of all of them, a leopard, looks like someone has been eating at his tail? Is that common, are they deciding the pecking order in there?

White Worm
03-16-2006, 04:10 PM
Not yet on the pecking order, damaged fins are normal after shipment. Salt at 1-2 tbspns per 10g should help fins and settle them in their new home.

eahkmh
03-16-2006, 04:37 PM
I used Epsom salt and will keep you all posted. Lights out for now and going to work. Hope they wake up on the right side of the tank and act better friday.

keno
03-16-2006, 04:42 PM
i crank the heat up 88, when they arrive and for stubborn fish live black worms, that always seems to get them goin. If thats not an option, some live adult brine shrimp from your LFS or frozen hiakri bw's.

This is just what has worked for me, but the sooner u can get them eatin the better.

Was you're water very much differnt from the source ie. ph and temp, ive found that when you shock them with different ph and differnt temp, it takes them awhile to adjust. The drip method is the best for introducing new fish.

White Worm
03-16-2006, 04:50 PM
Aquarium salt or Non-Iodized salt is what you should use. Epsom is for bloat or constipation.

pcsb23
03-16-2006, 05:31 PM
Mikes right, don't worry though the epsom salts won't hurt them, and you don't have to worry about removing it, just add the normal non iodised salt (food grade rock salt or cooking salt).

BIGFOOT
03-16-2006, 09:47 PM
Should I be adding salt also? I am new at this and so are my fish. lol Or is this something that is down when they aren't eating.

DiscusBob
03-16-2006, 11:02 PM
Is it one TBsp per 10 gallons? I have kosher salt...that's good, right?

Cosmo
03-16-2006, 11:04 PM
Brian,

It's usually helpful to have a little salt in the water when receiving new fish. They've been through a lot of stress with the shipping and poor water quality and the salt seems to sooth them some. Like RyahH said.. not unusual at all for new arrivals to not eat for a day or two... if any longer than that you may want to consider Metro.

Try leaving the tank lights off for a few days, or, until they start acting normal and eating well. Ambient room light should be sufficient for you to clean the tank and keep an eye on them, and the softer lights will help settle their nerves too.

Keep us posted :)

Jim

Cosmo
03-16-2006, 11:06 PM
Bob,

1 tblspn per 10 gal is good. Kosher salt is good too, but it does have an additive that can be problematic if used in too high a dose or for a prolonged period of time.

Jim