PDA

View Full Version : 75 vs. 90 gallon

dax29
03-20-2006, 09:24 AM
Okay. I'm just about convinced to go with discus. Now I'm trying to decide which is more important, more water or larger water changes. The footprint of the 75 gallon and 90 gallon is identical. However, I'm planning on using a 35 gallon plastic tote to store and age water for sake of saving space. Now the question, if I go with 7 discus in either tank size, is more water in the tank as important as larger water changes? In other words, I can do 50% water changes with the 75 gallon as opposed to 38-39% water changes with the 90. But the 90 has more water for toxin dilution. I'm hung up on 10 filtered cycles per hour so I'd need more filtration with the 90 too. Not to mention that the 90 gallon is heavier an costs more than the 75 gallon, which are considerations too. Is my thinking logical or am I missing something?

White Worm
03-20-2006, 01:34 PM
With a reasonably stocked 70g, you should be fine with 50% daily. Probably a little better than 38% daily in a 90g. Depends also on size of discus. With youngins and juvies, its a little more important to keep on top of the w/c's because you should be feeding more at this stage of growth. More food=dirty water.

RyanH
03-20-2006, 01:47 PM
Contrary to popular opinion, the larger the tank, the easier it is to care for IME. Large water changes are a good idea with which ever size tank you go with.

Dood Lee
03-20-2006, 01:50 PM
Depending on how much you want to spend, you can get a 90 gallon, and hook it up with either a properly sized canister filter or a Wet/Dry (sump), and a smaller HOB or some sponge filters. With this setup you could handle around 7 - 8 full size discus (maybe more depending on how much you feed). Cleanup of equipment is lessened, since you only need to clean a canister once every 2-3 months, and a wet/dry only when the sponges need cleaning. With this type of setup, you could get away 25 - 30 % water changes each day. Or every other day for that matter.

ShinShin
03-20-2006, 01:52 PM
If you are set on having 7 discus, I would recommend the 75gal. However, if you are like most of us here, you'll end up with more than 7 discus, in which case I'd go with the 90gal. which would give you roughly 40% daily water changes and that's a good volume of change.

Mat

marilyn1998
03-20-2006, 01:57 PM
I just had to decide that myself. Trust me when I say, no matter WHAT size you buy, within a month or two it will be too small and you will want another tank. I have done this 3 times now.

In all actuality, the difference is only 6 inches in height. A 90 is a bit deeper, and harder to work in as you attend to the bottom. The amount of water available for oxygenation?? is the same. the volume of water to help dispel the toxins is bigger on the 90.

I just upgraded from a 30 to a 90 and told myself I would never need anything larger. ;) I know I am wrong.

Only you can make the final decision. Doing a 30% WC as opposed to 50% is what you are going to have to decide as well as ease of working in the tank.
As far as cost, yes, you have another 15 gallons to heat, filter, medicate, and treat but it really is moot in the long run. You can always fill only 3/4 full if medicating the main tank as opposed to using a hospital tank.

Good Luck in your decision. (for me, I bought a stepstool and went with the 90 since the height is a big deal for the discus and I can get 2 more fish!). :D

DarkDiscus
03-20-2006, 02:00 PM
I'd go with the 75 gallon / 50% wc daily and 8 discus.

Normally I would say go with the bigger tank, but that's a great combination right there. You can always get a really huge tank eventually...

And you WILL want to!

LOL!

John

pcsb23
03-20-2006, 02:14 PM
Its a six and two threes, whichever suits you, one will only be the start!:D

The amount of water you change in either will be fine too!

Cosmo
03-20-2006, 03:32 PM
I have to agree with RyanH.. the larger the tank the more stable the environment.
Jim

dax29
03-20-2006, 05:37 PM
I'm out of town a lot so I can't do water changes every day. I figure that leaves me with only buying adults. I can swing 2-3 water changes a week max. So now, with this new information, is 7 discus in a 75 (50% water changes) or a 90 gallon (38% water changes) doable? I'm limited on space too!

White Worm
03-20-2006, 06:09 PM
Subs to adults, 7 in a 75g is cool with 50% 3 x week w/c. Thats my vote.

alpine
03-20-2006, 06:39 PM
Dax, go with the 75 gallon tanks ..maintenace is a big part of discus keeping. I am six feet tall and when I clean the walls and the bottom of the tank every two days I am glad I own 75 gallon tanks. The height difference in the 90's makes a difference.
Of course bigger bodies of water make everything more stable , but we are only talking 15 gallons !!
I have four 75 gallon tanks with six or seven fish in them and they are very comfortable.

Just my opinion :)
roberto.

Cosmo
03-20-2006, 08:14 PM
Good point Roberto :)

You can always buy tools with long handles to scrape the sides and bottom, but if you need to reach into the tank for any reason you really need a small step ladder to reach the bottom of a 24in deep tank...

Jim

Timbo
03-20-2006, 08:20 PM
i'm with the "bigger is better" crowd. water stability is a key with discus

i'd choose the 90, same footprint, more volume. a few inches deeper to service the bottom, yes, but a taller 90 gal is more visually appealing imo

and you'll be glad to you had the room, trust me:)

JMArtist
03-20-2006, 08:26 PM
The foot prints are the same...the 90 gallon is roughly only 15 gallons more, only slighly taller, making it a bit more harder to reach in and clean...I'd say just go with the 75 gallon.
You can actually get 8 fish in there with no grow out problems.
Water changes are about the same no matter what you decide...they still need to be done.

dax29
03-20-2006, 09:38 PM
Okay. Lots of good points. Thanks all. Please keep the advice coming.

Discus_KC
03-23-2006, 06:04 PM
Why don't you visit the store and reach into the 90 gallon first? If you can't reach the bottom then you might want to rethink that size of tank.

Jack

pcsb23
03-23-2006, 06:11 PM
Dax,

One other thought here...

Buy them both!! :D Seriously though Jack makes a good point, if you can reach the bottom of the 90 then thats the one to go for.

Cosmo
03-23-2006, 06:42 PM
small step ladders are cheap, and they fold up and tuck into a corner nicely :D

White Worm
03-23-2006, 07:05 PM
Buy both! Buy Both! Thats my vote! You will eventually need them both anyways, lol.

alpine
03-23-2006, 07:45 PM
I tell you 90 's are sure prettier than 75's . Get the 90's and get yourself a step ladder unless you are an NBA player and can flat handed touch the back bottom of the tank.Buy two, a 75 and a 90 look very nice together :)
Whatever you do ..Enjoy

roberto.

wolfbane
03-23-2006, 08:51 PM
....and be sure it's a STEP LADDER as opposed to a step stool. the ladder is sturdier and won't tip as easily as the kitchen type step stool. Been there, done that, had the bruises to show for it!

Jarrod
03-23-2006, 09:29 PM
One other option is to think about how much room you have for tank size and what you wish to do..if it's just enjoyment with no aspirations to breeding or anything like that then IMHO take the measurement of where you want to place the tank and get the biggest tank that will give you the size for what you wish to do and then buy the # of discus that will fit and grow comfortably in it..granted larger tanks are better..but not everyone has the room for large tank or has an interest in breeding or raising juvies..to me I would take a look at what and where I wished to go in the hobby..and then adjust your tank size accordingly and stock it with the proper # of fish that will still keep it ashetically pleasing yet also first and foremost keep them healthy and able to grow to their full potential...JMJO is all.. above everything else is the care and husbandry of the fish...again all JMHO is all..hth and best of luck with what you choose to do...best thing to do is to keep asking the questions as you think of them for the advice and help you can gain here is virtually unlimited!
Jarrod

White Worm
03-23-2006, 10:12 PM
I have 85g and 72g, I must admit...72g is easier to clean but 85g looks nicer and holds some discus! It does require me to use a chair to stand on to reach the bottom for vacuuming. The stand is also taller for the 85g than the 72g so it will depend on the height of the base also.

marilyn1998
03-23-2006, 10:34 PM
Here are 2 thoughts--

I use the python to vaccuum the tank. IT comes with a 10" tube. I just found out the tubes comes in MANY sizes, so I ordered the 20". This allows me to do WC's without the stool!!! Now aquascaping is diferent, but I got hte long handled tongs, too. :D

Also, if you get the wrought iron stand, both tanks have the same footprint.

The 90 on top is wonderful.... and the 75 tucks on the bottom with enough room to get in and work. (methods in my madness!!!! mwahahahahaha)

jaydoc
03-24-2006, 10:30 AM
90 over a 75 and use the 75 for your water storage? Just a thought.