PDA

View Full Version : juvie picts

wghibbits
03-20-2006, 10:09 AM
can anyone help me i got three juvies from lfs can anyone i d this photo this is about 1.5 inches, the lfs told me they would be bd's, any guesses.
thanks
Bill

keno
03-20-2006, 10:23 AM
its a form of pigeon blood, no no way that is a blue diamond!

April
03-20-2006, 12:48 PM
it also looks runted. they may never grow very big. that is a pigeon.

lbquoc
03-20-2006, 01:09 PM
I have never seen a BD that has pepper like that

RyanH
03-20-2006, 01:21 PM
BDs don't have pepper. It's a PB-based fish.

Bill,

Please don't take offense to this. I just hate seeing people getting ripped off.

That fish should have never been sold to you or anyone. It should have been culled long ago. Shame on that LFS! :mad:

If you are interested in getting started in Discus. Start reading through the beginner section here for proper care techniques. Then go to our sponsor section and peruse their websites for strains that you like. Buy a group of 6-8 fish from a reputable breeder. It's likely that you may even find somebody close to you.

Starting in this hobby with fish like that will only bring you frustration and disappointment.

Feel free to fire questions at us as they come up. We're here to help. :)

hth
-Ryan

White Worm
03-20-2006, 01:46 PM
Wow! Its not a BD, I would go as far as to question if it is even a discus. Thats LFS should be closed or at least not allowed to sell discus. You should immediately return those fish and get a refund. You say you got 3? Pics? BD's are blue and never have pepper because they are not a pigeon based fish. This is a perfect example of the consumer getting taken by someone who is supposed to be an expert in the hobby. This store is definately out for the almighty buck. Stay clear! Take them some pictures of quality discus at that age and ask them why they sold you that!

wghibbits
03-20-2006, 04:40 PM
my lfs just had a list from her supplier and it said small assorted discus, so i had her order me three, they seem to be growing could they still grow out and ghange color to ok fish or not i'll try to some better pics, i do see some slight blue on fins.i didnt pay much for them.i also have some better discus 1 red & yellow ribbon which i believe is also a pb i think,1ocean green,1gold diamond,1red & white nebula,1 red rio perus they are in a 110 gal. tank planted wc's 30%every other day,just set up a 20 gal.h bb when it gets cycled i was going to put three juvies in there,the rest of discus are about 2.5 to 3.5 inches and look great, got them from different lfs,elmers aquarium in monroeville pa.
thanks for your input
Bill

wghibbits
03-20-2006, 05:12 PM
here are some more pics.:confused:

wghibbits
03-20-2006, 05:13 PM
some of juvies

wghibbits
03-20-2006, 05:14 PM
juvies

wghibbits
03-20-2006, 05:15 PM
my pb

wghibbits
03-20-2006, 05:17 PM
my ocean green, is this like a diamond??

pcsb23
03-20-2006, 05:20 PM
Bill,

Being brutally honest they will not grow into anything great. The one in post #9 above looks to have the best chance. They are very heavily peppered and even in a tank with a very lihght background they will remain peppered.

They certainly do not compare with your other discus, which seem to be very nice. However if you are happy to spend time and effort raising them and they remain healthy then enjoy them.

Again no offense meant. I also agree with RyanH above.

Take care,

RyanH
03-20-2006, 05:21 PM
Bill,

I don't want to step on your toes or hurt your feelings but I would bring those back to that LFS and demand my money back immediately.

How they actually took your money and made eye contact with you while doing so, I'll never understand. Those fish should have never been allowed to leave the store. They need to do the right thing and give you your money back.

They need to also look for another supplier. :(

JMHO

-Ryan

Greg Richardson
03-20-2006, 05:34 PM
Seeing people do this just really ticks me off.

You did the right thing coming here for advise.

Don't take it personal as we have ALL made bad buying decisions before.

In this case though these shouldn't have even been there for you to make a bad decision in the first place.
Whatever price you paid it was to much.

Why spend water, food, time on them?

Your other discus look decent.
You obviously know what they should be.

These will NEVER grow into anything worth a nickle no matter how many wc's you do.

Take some pictures of real juvies.
Take those pictures back to store.
Not only demand your money back, show them your pictures of what juvies should look like.

Tell them you would like some free food for your "real" other discus at home or you will contact the better business journal along with the fish forums in your area.

Print out all these posts.
Show them.

Stealing money is wrong.

Those people who sold that garbage should be taken out back and be shot. As simple as that.

wghibbits
03-20-2006, 05:38 PM
so paul, all the others look ok, i thought those little guys would grow into something nice, well, lesson learned, thanks for all your help,don't worry won't hurt my feelings, need the truth thats always better.

Thanks again
BILL

White Worm
03-20-2006, 06:02 PM
Money back like I said earlier. Its times like this that we should announce the name so we can collectively email this establishment and warn them of their inexperience or lack of intelligence when it comes to dealing with discus. That would also trickle down to their supplier and maybe lessen his impact on the community and discus hobby. As a large group, we could impose our will on just about anyone!:D

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_15.gif

I'm not saying post just to flame the place but to actually change something for once instead of complaining. I'll bet if this LFS received emails from even 1/5th of this group, they would have to seriously look at how they do business and then they would also know how word of mouth could hurt business through forums such as this. Maybe after you return these fish and see what they say. If they do the right thing, well, let em know not to sell anymore discus otherwise, like what was said earlier, report em to whoever will listen and stop the ridiculous low quality sells into the hobby. There are low quality, lower quality and then there are lfs quality. These are rock bottom. JMO. You seem to have some other ok discus so dont settle for this. Any money is too much money. I would really like to see the response from this lfs if we got together about this situation and put the heat on. This store not only sells awful quality but they cant even tell you what you bought. They either cant read their suppliers catalog or the supplier has no idea. Well, its apparent that the supplier has no idea what they are doing, lol.

alpine
03-20-2006, 06:45 PM
Bill, the number one pic name description is "Take me back to LFS " right now. If they do not want to reimburse yor money leave fish , say have a good day and never , ever come back , if they reimburse your money say the same.
Sorry for your Bad experience. You are in the right place in this forum. You will have much nicer fish soon.

roberto

Timbo
03-20-2006, 08:12 PM
tough crowd to please eh Bill? :)

your other fish are look quite healthy and attractive; the new ones...well, i wouldnt spend any time on them because their potential is really low.

its a matter of time really

do you want to spend a year or so growing out fish that have such limited potential? the same amount of time can be spent on discus that will make you proud. peruse the sponsors list here for someone nearby or someone who will ship. you will get much better stock in the future from any of them, fish that have some good potential and will probably be much healthier overall

good luck, enjoy your fish!

candyl70
03-21-2006, 12:43 AM
Hi Bill.
I am so sorry that you were sold those fish with the expectation of getting a nice blue, big fish. But everyone is right in saying that you should bring them back.

I had a similar experience with my lfs and the first discus that I bought. I was told that they were locally bred and were young, but healthy. They were healthy for a time, but not young. They had really big eyes like your two do, and they had a football shape just like yours.

What was worse was that the guy who sold them to me "knows" about discus!!! EEEEKK!!! So if he really had knowledge about discus, he sold me some ugly runts at 50 bucks a piece no less. But if you keep coming to this forum you will find a lot of great breeders, and there is plenty of experience and knowledge here.

I wish you luck and hope that you can get your money back.

Candy

hexed
03-21-2006, 01:15 AM
Bill,
I am hoping and praying that you DID NOT put them in with your other discus without QTing them first. Those do not look healthy at all and if you bought them home and added them without QTing them, your other discus could get sick. Please tell me you QTed them :(
Frank

candyl70
03-21-2006, 01:21 AM
Wow!!! I agree Frank!! Hope you did Bill, or you may end up spending lots of cash on meds!

wolfbane
03-21-2006, 02:34 PM
I remember the time I questioned the owner of the LFS about some 1.5 inch fish he called Discus. They were the same age as my PBs and Turqs, but only 1/3 the size. The owner told me they were dwarf discus, hadn't I ever heard of them? Lol!! No, I didn't fall for it, buy my fish from a local breeder and sponser.

candyl70
03-21-2006, 04:25 PM
LOL!!!! Dwarf Discus?! Who's leg is he trying to pull!!! WOW!

DiscusStudent
03-21-2006, 04:46 PM
DWARF DISCUS? :laugh: What a joke! I've been spending time going through my old TFH mags because someone posed this question to Wattley (of course I seem to have just lost that one) and as I remember he got some pretty good blasts about the ethics of any person who tries to breed a dwarf discus. He basically said that any fish that could be used to breed for smaller size shouldn't be breeding in the first place because it's a low quality fish. Obviously! That fish probably shouldn't even be alive!

Roost426
03-21-2006, 05:53 PM
I have that one its the February 06 issue. :D

DiscusStudent
03-21-2006, 06:37 PM
Sure enough it is...

Wattley's exact response to dwarf discus:

"Over the years I have seen many fish that have been neglected,sick, or genetically inferior, but were carrying full color. They were not genetically engineered discus, just totally inferior fish. Those fish should have been disposed of long before reaching any hobbyist's tank or an aquarium shop"

"If any cichlid breeder should find the time to create a genetically engineered discus, yes, I'm sure a number of them would sell, but certainly no discus breeder or enthusiast would be purchasing them"

I'm glad you didn't fall for that wolfbane, I know I might have before I found this forum. The wealth of knowledge on here should easily educate even the newest of discus hobbyist.

pcsb23
03-21-2006, 06:41 PM
so paul, all the others look ok, i thought those little guys would grow into something nice, well, lesson learned, thanks for all your help,don't worry won't hurt my feelings, need the truth thats always better.

Thanks again
BILL
Hey Bill,

yes your other discus do look decent to me. Personally I wouldn't waste my precious time on something that definitely won't turn out good. I think the message here is take 'em back.

The sponsors here all have great fish, great prices and best of all tons of free advice!

glad your feelings aren't hurt, no future in that! Take care,

BobB
03-22-2006, 01:22 PM
Thank god for RyanH and the many other posters on this forum who show what Discus should and should not look like!