PDA

View Full Version : Synodontis Angelicus

MayorNewton
03-20-2006, 10:48 AM
Anyone have any idea about S. Angelicus as a tankmate for discus and cardinals? Are they OK, or am I likely to end up with some missing cardinals or torn up plants? I really like them and if possible would like a couple in my new 75.

Thoughts?

Newt

jaydoc
03-20-2006, 11:40 AM
I have had 14 different species of Synodontis over the years.

Synodontis are terretorial among their own kind so only one of any given type in a tank unless it is a) very large- 75 gallon or larger, and/or b) you have lots of hiding places for the synodontis. They will seem to get along okay at times but then they will get into a thrashing spell where they try to spear each other with their sharp pectoral fins.

They might tolerate discus temperatures but they are very active, flighty fish, particularly at night (they are primarily nocturnal) and they will probably spook the discus.

I don't remember if they will eat small tetras or not.

They are great tank mates for African cichlids, but a gamble in my opinion for discus.

MayorNewton
03-20-2006, 01:32 PM
Thanks, Doc...well, I'll rule them out. I was so looking forward to them, though. I guess it's bristlenose plecs if anything, hunh?

Newt

jaydoc
03-20-2006, 01:51 PM
They are really cool with a few Julidochromis and brichardi in a rock tank-what's one more tank? lol
Cary

Wahter
03-20-2006, 10:30 PM
I had a syno angelicus - one of the prettiest catfish I've ever had. It was fine when it was small (around 3").. it got along with discus, clown loaches, even a gold nugget pl*co. When it grew to 5+", that's when it started being rather aggressive; killed my goldnugget and would occassionally chase the loaches around. Didn't seem to do much to the discus, but I wasn't watching the tank all the time. In the end, I took it to the store and traded it in for cash.

HTH,

Walter

Moon
03-21-2006, 11:11 AM
I had six of them in a 125g tank with some African chiclids. The largest was about 10in. Nice looking fish when young. The spots tend to fade as they get older. I was trying to breed them by creating a strong water flow from one end of the tank to the other. These are river fish. Unfortunately I lost all of them when a seam in the tank opened up and drained the tank while I was at work.
I would not recommend keeping these with discus because they are nocturnal and very active in the dark. Might spook the discus.
Joe