PDA

View Full Version : old Vs New Discuses

CoKen
03-21-2006, 10:14 PM
hi guys

how are you all?

i have been waiting for the private discus breeder to have his young dicuses ready to be sold, but it takes another 3 weeks after 2 weeks wait. reason being they are still too young. due to the attractive price that he offers, i will still wait for him, it costs me about only 1/5 of the price should i otherwise purchase from the fish shop.

i wanna just get a pair of discus "2 inches" from the fish shop to fill my empty tank for the time being, then get another 6 1.5 inches discuses from the private breeder in 3 weeks time. the question i have now is, will the first pair be aggressive to the later 6 dicuses?? i know discuses can be very territorial, also due to the different size.

your opinions to my case are appreciated !!!

rgds
Ken

wolfbane
03-21-2006, 10:29 PM
Hi Ken, the only problem I forsee is that fish from 2 different sources need to be quarrantined for some weeks to make sure they don't transfer parasites or disease to the other group. If I was you, I would wait and get all my babies from the same breeder, avoiding separate quarrantine tanks. Remember, all new fish added to the original group should be quarrantined for about 6 weeks, no matter what kind of fish.

ShinShin
03-21-2006, 11:14 PM
Be patient. Wait for the breeder's fish to be ready as suggested. In the end, you'll most likely be better off.

Mat

CoKen
03-22-2006, 04:25 AM
Hi Ken, the only problem I forsee is that fish from 2 different sources need to be quarrantined for some weeks to make sure they don't transfer parasites or disease to the other group. If I was you, I would wait and get all my babies from the same breeder, avoiding separate quarrantine tanks. Remember, all new fish added to the original group should be quarrantined for about 6 weeks, no matter what kind of fish.

hi Wolfbane, when u say "quarrantine", what does it mean? in fact, i have been uncertain with this term. does it mean to separate them? if so, does it mean separate them into 2 different tanks? sorry, my questions sound to be naive, but it is always better to be naive than getting things stuffed up. :bandana:

i currently have 18 neon tetras in the tank, so, what should i do if i finally get those baby discuses from the breeder? also quarantine them?

thanks for your advice.

rgds
Ken

Sharn
03-22-2006, 08:01 AM
quarentine means no equipment used on that tank/s gets to touch another tank without being sterilised, that means buckets, nets, siphons etc etc until the fill 6 weeks or more is up. some people use boiling water and others use a mild bleach solution to clean the equipment. so youd have your two seperate discus tanks and your neon tank (unless you dont mind something passing onto your neons and potentially wiping them out if the discus have something). HTH

lkleung007
03-22-2006, 09:54 AM
Hi Ken,

If I was starting out with 2" juveniles, I would start with a bare bottom tank so that I can feed heavily and do frequent water changes. Also, I would wait for your breeder to get the discus to size before purchasing. In the meantime, you can spend the time getting a "discus only" tank ready...fishless cycling, etc. Discus and neon tetras are not a good mix because discus need high temps (86-88F) which the neons do not tolerate well.

Keep reading on this site and ask lots of questions.

HTH, Lester

Cosmo
03-22-2006, 10:11 AM
What Mat said :)

alpine
03-22-2006, 06:31 PM
What Cosmo said that Mat said... :)

roberto.

wheeler
03-23-2006, 04:30 AM
iif you like the look of the neons, get some cardinals to replace them. they can take the same heat as the discus.

you are true, there are no stupid questions. the only stupid question is the one that never got asked.