PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!

Kindredspirit
03-22-2006, 06:19 PM
I am writing this in a hurry as I am off to work...but here is my problem!

I have 12 baby rams in qt in a 10gal tank...the heat for a week has been 86, 85...and there is a light on there too~

But yesterday I noticed that the temp was 92!! I freaked....I thought i cooked them...something is goin on with the light , i think it gets too hot and raises the temp? So........ i turned down the heater...and left the light on....later the temp was 71!! Then i kicked back up the heater a tad and left the light on...and it skyrocketed again....

I then left the light off and left the heater at 86 and , then it was only 70! I am going back and forth with the heater and light......all of a sudden... i have the heat on like 80 now and the light is on and i juss noticed that the heat is 91 again!!!

I am seeing Ich in my future real quick here ~

or cooked rams!! HElp... It is a new stealth heater and and no matter what i do i can not seem to regulate between heat and light..without the light it is too cold and with it too hot...omg!

and all this on a dime...for over a week it was alll okay!!

thanks guys!!

Marie~

Jarrod
03-22-2006, 06:35 PM
Marie is the lighting on the tank incandesent or flourescent?..Incandesents put off a lot more heat than the flourescent ones. Have you tried changing the thermometer with one from your other tanks that you know is good?...just a thought is all...on both thelighting and therms..
Good luck
Jarrod

White Worm
03-22-2006, 06:43 PM
Even though it is new heater, it could still have problems, swap it out and see if things change. Leave the lights off and rely just on the heater to do its job. What size is the heater? Ick not usually at high temps. With any heater, you wil have to see what temp it will keep water at certain settings. Water temp will not always match the actual dial on the heater.

tpl*co
03-22-2006, 06:44 PM
How many watts is that heater? If it is too large for the tank, it'll get the water too hot before it shuts off. 3 to 5 watts per gallon so a 30 to 50 watt heater for 10 gallons, anything more would get the water hot hot hot.

Tina

pcsb23
03-22-2006, 07:11 PM
How many watts is that heater? If it is too large for the tank, it'll get the water too hot before it shuts off. 3 to 5 watts per gallon so a 30 to 50 watt heater for 10 gallons, anything more would get the water hot hot hot.

Tina
Sounds most likely:D Also during qt don't worry too much about lights, just put them on for half an hour around feeding time and when you need to inspect them.

Kindredspirit
03-22-2006, 07:38 PM
okay guys!! thanks!! I will get back to you!!

wheeler
03-23-2006, 05:34 AM
if your light are incandecents you could swith them to compact flourecents. i've switched out mine for CF's on my small tanks. i found some 11W CF's at the loonie store and that what i use. a lot less heat and better light IMO.

Kindredspirit
03-23-2006, 08:24 AM
Hey Guys ~

Now that things have calmed down here a bit...I am off a few days, at one job, anyways ~ I just checked out the temp in that ten gal, and the light has been off all night as well, it was 68! I know I set it at 86...even tho most of my heaters never do what I tell them anyways!!

So I looked at the digital temp thingy, and the battery was not all the way clicked in! But I took one from another tank and popped it in and it reads 86.3! After popping back in that battery on the other one, it still reads 70 something....so Im thinking a new one...lol!

Too dayum simple, man!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_12_13.gif

Thanks everyone!

Marie~

Jarrod
03-23-2006, 08:31 AM
Marie...glad to hear you got a handle on things....seems like sometimes it's something simple that comes up and bites us on the butt..lol...but glad you got it figured out!
Jarrod

White Worm
03-23-2006, 02:41 PM
Use the good old fashioned thermometers $1.99 (suction cupped to the inside of the tank) and put 2-3 in the tank and you will always know temp.

Kindredspirit
03-23-2006, 02:47 PM
But I can SEE them, Mike! The little mercury thingy......lol!

Marie~

White Worm
03-23-2006, 02:58 PM
But I can SEE them, Mike! The little mercury thingy......lol!

Marie~
Can or can't see them??

Kindredspirit
03-23-2006, 02:59 PM
oops! I can not see the mercury in passing unless i find my glasses and I never know where they are!! LOL!

White Worm
03-23-2006, 03:06 PM
You can buy larger ones that are easier to read and then you just have to rotate it until its easier to see. With digital, just more things to go wrong.

marilyn1998
03-23-2006, 03:17 PM
Marie,

I hear ya about not being able to read those!!! :o

Also, I need MUCH more light these days to see the fish and while doing WC's to make sure I am getting things clean!!!!
Guess though with more light, I would need a chiller to keep the temps down in the 80's. :D :D :D

Jarrod
03-23-2006, 03:43 PM
Thats one of the reasons I went to the digitals...I plain azz can't see the regular therms...:( I have faith in the mercury ones but I haven't found one yet that is easy for me to see no matter how much light I have lol..maybe one of the time and temp signs like you see on front of banks would work...lol
Jarrod

wheeler
03-24-2006, 05:17 AM
maybe one of the time and temp signs like you see on front of banks would work...lol

-quite an investment there..haha

Kindredspirit
03-24-2006, 10:54 AM
Marie,

I hear ya about not being able to read those!!! :o

Also, I need MUCH more light these days to see the fish and while doing WC's to make sure I am getting things clean!!!!
Guess though with more light, I would need a chiller to keep the temps down in the 80's. :D :D :D

Thatz so funny, Marilyn about the light cuz I had to do the same thing and move a tall lamp in my office from another room just so I could see the tanks better while I clean! Getting old I'm thinking....lol!!

Marie~http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_18_102.gif

Kindredspirit
03-24-2006, 10:55 AM
-quite an investment there..haha

but it would work!!