PDA

View Full Version : Rubbermaid Garbage Cans

BobB
03-23-2006, 10:58 AM
Does anyone use them to store water?

Greg Richardson
03-23-2006, 11:04 AM
Lot of people do. Get the heavy duty ones called BRUTE.
Spend the extra bucks for the large one.

DiscusStudent
03-23-2006, 11:22 AM
That's what I use to store my water. I got the biggest Rubbermaid Brute that my Home Depot had to offer. I can't remember the size exactly but judging by my water changes it's atleast 50 gallons.

I love it, works great for the limited space that I have.

nolefan
03-23-2006, 11:39 AM
The ones with wheels are the best,never when you have to move them.

DiscusStudent
03-23-2006, 12:22 PM
I was looking at the square ones with the wheels originally but to me it seemed like they tipped too easily. I figured they would be pretty stable with the weight of the water but I figured it may be safer to have the round one that had a more stable base.

nolefan
03-23-2006, 12:31 PM
I have bought the round ones with the removable base with wheels and you are right unless you are careful you can tip it over,it does come in handy because a 50 gallon trash can full of water can be tough to move.

Westie
03-23-2006, 12:38 PM
Best ever for big tanks and water changes.

Alight
03-23-2006, 02:07 PM
They work very well.

I'd still "cure" a new one with some water and baking soda for a couple of weeks to get rid of the outgassing plasticizers and any contaminating toxic chemicals they might pick up in transit.

Greg Richardson
03-23-2006, 03:49 PM
Yep, I looked at the one with wheels also. Then I felt thickness of sides between that and the Brute and decision solved

Ginoinchicago
03-26-2006, 07:13 PM
I tried one of those with the wheels from walmart that said "professional grade" HAH! WHen filled the thing took less that 24 hours for the sides to buckle and the can to tip over and dump 40 gallons of water on the floor. Make sure the one you get will be strong enough to handle the the weight.

discusfire4
03-26-2006, 07:29 PM
I have 3 of the large ones from home Depot. I believe they hold 90 gallons. I did find a small hole on one of the inside corner, but that was fixed with some silicone.

alpine
03-26-2006, 08:27 PM
I bought two heavy duty grey BRUTE rubbermaid 45 gallon cans at Lowes when I did age my water. They were the best quality I could find. The ones in wheels seem very thin plastic and very tipsy...to me at least.

roberto.

CAGE-RATTLER
03-26-2006, 08:41 PM
I have 3 of the large ones from home Depot. I believe they hold 90 gallons. I did find a small hole on one of the inside corner, but that was fixed with some silicone.

I dont think ive seen a 90 gallon trash can before.

korbi_doc
03-26-2006, 09:00 PM
:D Guys, I've been using 2 32g RMs with wheels for 3 yrs now...stuck them in between the tank stands with the handles against the stands to stabilize them..have never had any trouble. There is a slight fold near the wheels, but this has never caused trouble in 3 yrs....I believe that all these plastic tubs need to be stabilized, no matter what size or thickness, & mine are not the Brute. Hard to believe the large round flat-bottomed will tip when full, but evidently they do! & also they can't be moved when full of water....so just support'm!!

Also, never treated them with anything, just rinsed'm out well with hot water & towel dried'm, again no problems....

I've never seen a 90gal tub like these anywhere, pretty nice, but when I move I'll have couple large white 50g barrels, & I'm hoping not to need more, but be able to use tap water... here's hoping, Dottie ;)

discusfire4
03-26-2006, 09:33 PM
I dont think ive seen a 90 gallon trash can before.

Yep. They have em. Actually they're 96 gallons. Comes with a hinged lid and 8' wheels, very sturdy.

alpine
03-26-2006, 09:41 PM
Must be a very Cool feeling moving close to eight hundred pounds of water around your Fishroom....:(

roberto.

javajones
04-10-2006, 10:46 PM
I could only find the following trash cans:
http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/product/category.jhtml?cat=HPCat100699

Any links to the 90G ones?

korbi_doc
04-11-2006, 02:17 PM
Yep. They have em. Actually they're 96 gallons. Comes with a hinged lid and 8' wheels, very sturdy.

:D Finally saw these huge TBs in Lowes' yesterday & sure 'nuff, 90gal......should help for lg W/Cs lol, Dottie

Cosmo
04-11-2006, 03:36 PM
I saw those in Home Depot... yep, huge :( too huge to fit through the doors to the fishroom, and.. too huge to fit in the fishrom :p :D They have a 65 gallon version as well that I could make fit, but have one concern that hopefully someone can answer :confused:

The material I'm sure is very strong, but it's very thin, and, often this type of material depends upon overall integrity to hold itself together. Sooo..

HAS ANYONE EVER DRILLED A BULKHEAD INTO ONE OF THESE ??

The next size down is the 55gal Husky, which can take bulkheads no problem... just too small to do me any good :(

If I drill and insert a bulkhead in the bigger ones.... does it work, or does it collapse :confused:

Anyone done it??

Jim

PS.. if I went with any of three, I'd have to saw off the arms that hold the hinged lid on to make it fit... don't think this shoud be an integrity issue, but if anyone knows otherwise please chime in... thanks.. lol

04-12-2006, 08:46 AM
You will all be better off and much happier with polyethelene storage tanks(Norwesco is the brand I use). They should last forever! They have 65,100 and 165 gal which fit through most standard doors.

korbi_doc
04-12-2006, 10:21 AM
You will all be better off and much happier with polyethelene storage tanks(Norwesco is the brand I use). They should last forever! They have 65,100 and 165 gal which fit through most standard doors.

:D Ok, '77, that sounds really good, now exactly how do we find'm? Do you have a link? or do you know what places might have'm??

Jim, don't know 'bout the bulkheads, think I read that someone did, but probably can't find it, I'd rather use the large heavy barrels to do that, but I do know the 32g must be supported to be stable, had pics on other threads here, everyone's probably tired of seeing'm.....I'd bet the big ones should also be stabilized to be safe...those 50g white barrels from Coke places should do the trick tho.....JMO, Dottie ;)

04-12-2006, 05:09 PM
Go to Norwesco.com and I think you'll have to call them to find the dealer nearest you. I have one like 20 miles from me that's really low priced. I'm sure somewhere near everybody there is a dealer. Especially farm supply places.

discusdave
04-13-2006, 12:39 PM
I saw those in Home Depot... yep, huge :( too huge to fit through the doors to the fishroom, and.. too huge to fit in the fishrom :p :D They have a 65 gallon version as well that I could make fit, but have one concern that hopefully someone can answer :confused:

The material I'm sure is very strong, but it's very thin, and, often this type of material depends upon overall integrity to hold itself together. Sooo..

HAS ANYONE EVER DRILLED A BULKHEAD INTO ONE OF THESE ??

The next size down is the 55gal Husky, which can take bulkheads no problem... just too small to do me any good :(

If I drill and insert a bulkhead in the bigger ones.... does it work, or does it collapse :confused:

Anyone done it??

Jim

PS.. if I went with any of three, I'd have to saw off the arms that hold the hinged lid on to make it fit... don't think this shoud be an integrity issue, but if anyone knows otherwise please chime in... thanks.. lol

I've put a one inch bulkhead into a big brute before. Used it a s an overflow/safety drain for an R/O unit that was emptying into it.

Here is my storage container. 450 gallon polyethylene tank.

Spices
04-13-2006, 02:05 PM
Cool and compact 450-gallon poly water container, Dave! Looks like it fits thru a regular sized door.

Here's a link to something I've been eyeing on:

http://stores.ebay.com/TANKS-MORE

Seems like the business is in TX and they have plenty of poly-water storage containers.

**Angie**

discusdave
04-13-2006, 09:04 PM
Cool and compact 450-gallon poly water container, Dave! Looks like it fits thru a regular sized door.

Here's a link to something I've been eyeing on:

http://stores.ebay.com/TANKS-MORE

Seems like the business is in TX and they have plenty of poly-water storage containers.

**Angie**

It doesn't look wide in the pic, but it is 48" in diameter and 64" tall. Would never fit thru a standard door. The only reason I could get it inside is that my holding setup is next to a set of double doors that are on the basement level. The previous owner of the house did a lot of woodworking and needed wide openings for his projects. He also used to park a small British sports car in the basement in the winter, and it fit between the doors.

I have to get up on a three step ladder to look down into it to see where the water level is at.

Dave

Cosmo
04-13-2006, 10:30 PM
Dave,

I have 2 65 gal tanks that look just like that, only smaller so they fit through doors. Bought mine at Jehmco a few years ago when the shipping was about 35 bucks. Thanks to our friends at UPS, the shipping is now just under a hundred!!!!
Jim