The Bristlenose Plecostomus, some facts
The bristlenose, sometimes called the bushynose,
plecostomus is a member of the family Loricariidae. These are
the "suckermouth catfish". Bristlenose are from the genus
"Ancistrus".
The telltale sign of a bristlenose is the bristles or tentacles on
the nose of the fish. The males have the longer bristles. The
body of the fish is protected by "armour". A bony substance
covering the outer part of the fish, except for the stomach area.
Bristlenose also have a "round" mouth when compared to
other plecostomus.
The bristlenose catfish has an array of sensory organs. First is
the eye, containing a "flap" that can close as light intesity
increases. There is not another family of fish that has this. The
eye is on "top" of the head and can only look upward. This
does not aid in finding food, but the fish has other senses for
this. The bristlenose has a very small swimbladder consisting
of 2 sections connected by a small tube. There are 2 bones
very close to the swimbladder that vibrate when sounds are in
the water and this acts as an inner ear for the pleco.
The lateral line runs down tghe side of the body and very
close to their "inner ear". This also helps sense things in the
water.
The bristlenose have a very high level of "taste" as they are
covered from head to tail with "tastebuds". The mouth is even
more sensitive to taste.
The bristlenose is able to take in oxygen in two ways. First by
passing oxygen rich water over the gill plates, and secondly by
swallowing air and obsorbing the oxygen through a section in
the intestine. They can thus "gulp" air from the surface in some
of the dry season when water levels are low and oxygen
deficient, or in very muddy streams during the rainy season.
Bristlenose have a very long intestinal tract to absorb nutrients.
The covering on the bristlenose also serves as "camoflauge"
to blend the pleco into its surroundings to protect it from
predators.
Bristlenose are found in many areas of South America,
ranging in water temperatures of 70F to 90F. They are found in
a wide area, approximately 60 times the size of the United
Kingdom.
Bristlenose mainly eat algae. Spawning generally occurs
during the rainy season, when food and oxygen are plentiful.
Bristlenose also like to search for food in groups. Sometimes
the first plecos in the group stir up the mud that is covering the
algae and others follow the cleaned area to feed.
Feeding the fish can be done by using algae pellets, peas or
sliced zucchini that has been blanched or cooked in boiling
water for a couple minutes and then the shells of the peas
removed. Once a week a bit of protein can be fed either with
"catfish wafers" or some blood worms.
Spawning "triggers" are sometimes a water change with
"cooler" water. Extra aeration may also help. The male will find
a cave to take up residence, mate with the female and then he
will watch over the spawn and guard it.

Ardan

references
"Bristlenoses, Catfish with Character" by Kathy Jinkings
"Exotic Tropical Fishes" by Dr. Axelrod, Dr. Emmens, Dr.
Sculthorpe, Mr. Vordrwinkler, and Mr. Pronek, TFH Publications

The first pic is of a female bushynose pleco

Ardan
03-25-2006, 08:08 PM
The Male

pcsb23
03-26-2006, 09:12 AM
Ardan,

Excellent work.

nightowl1250
03-26-2006, 10:50 AM
Great information.

I would like to add they are not aggressive towards other fish. You can put them in with small fish of any type. I raise BN (very easy compared to angels or rams) and I keep 4 or 5 small ones (1" or less) in my fry tanks to clean the bottom. They are predominantly veggie eaters, but in the fry tanks they eat the microworms or bbs so nothing is left to foul the tank. They leave even new free swimers alone and I've put them in with as young as 2 day free swimmers.

kaceyo
04-02-2006, 02:37 PM
Interesting post. I will be getting a few BN's for tank cleaning and wondered how many people usually put in a discus tank? Is there a general rule like 1 for each 10gals or something similer? I just need enough to keep slime off the walls and help with what little uneaten food there is after feedings. Do BN's need driftwood in there diet like the reg pleco's? I already have some algea pellets for them and from what I've read that, along with the protien from the discus leftovers, should be all they need, right?

Kacey

Ginoinchicago
04-02-2006, 03:42 PM
Bristlenose do benefit from a small piece of driftwood like most plecs.

DiscusStudent
04-02-2006, 11:17 PM
What about having them with pairs? Would they eat eggs?

Ardan
04-07-2006, 04:55 PM
Thank you for the kind words.:)

I have read that males each need at least 10 gallons space, preferably more.

I have never kept them with other fish so don't know for sure about the eggs.

Ardan

Bainbridge Mike
04-07-2006, 04:58 PM
What about having them with pairs? Would they eat eggs?

Yes, they love fish eggs!

kaceyo
04-07-2006, 06:04 PM
If you buy a few juvies at 1" to 2", how long till they will show breeding behavior and then be able to reproduce?

Kacey

Greg Richardson
04-07-2006, 07:57 PM
Parents should be able to keep them away from eggs. I've read where one breeder who says he has one in every breeder tank.

Bainbridge Mike
04-07-2006, 09:43 PM
Parents should be able to keep them away from eggs. I've read where one breeder who says he has one in every breeder tank.

If you do it, make sure to leave the lights on--

fish_maniac
06-24-2006, 12:55 AM
I have 3 albino bushynose (3 to4 inches) in my 65 Gal tank and they keep it nice and clean. They don't bother my plant neither.

Kam

Willie
06-24-2006, 10:08 AM
I keep bushynose plecos in every breeding tank. Never had them come close to the eggs.

They are also in my grow out tanks, of course. They get no driftwood and 99.9999% of their diet is beef and fish. Once every month or so, I'll remember to toss in an algae wafer.

Willie

Greg Richardson
06-24-2006, 05:26 PM
They get no driftwood

Willie can you tell me your reasons behind that?
Thanks!

Willie
06-24-2006, 10:24 PM
No reason, Greg. I just have no driftwood. With soft water, I get lots of brown algae growing on them, so I don't keep any. The plecos seem to do fine.

Willie

Greg Richardson
06-24-2006, 11:57 PM
I don't have any driftwood in my breeder tank and yep they do okay.
I do have them in my other tanks and they sure do use them though.

poconogal
06-25-2006, 09:00 AM
I have two Albinos but with very soft water already, I can't keep driftwood in the tank. I did, however, break off a small piece of my driftwood, about 4 inches by 3/4 inch, and placed in with my resin driftwood. The Plecos spend lots of time munching on that piece of wood. The small size of the driftwood does not affect my water parameters, either.

Apistomaster
10-11-2006, 08:08 PM
kayceo,
You asked about a guide line for choosing how many bushy noses to add to a tank. I will assume you have a planted tank. A trio is actually enough for most aquariums for a couple of reasons. They eventually grow to 5 inches and remain very good algae eaters and can keep a 125 gallon tank glass and plant surfaces clean of any algaes they like. The other reason is that they will almost certainly spawn for you. As long as the most serious predators in the tank are your discus you will soon have bushy nose fry appearing in batches ranging from 40 to one hundred at a time. So you will actually be thinning this herd from time to time. It will mean that there will be a bushy nose of the correct size to fit every duty from the major cleaning to the fine tuning of algae growing on the smallest plant leaves.
Other than that I would recommend no more than one trio for every 3 square feet of bottom surface area. The males are territorial and combative with each other. It is not unusual for them to begin breeding at 3 inches total length for the males and 2-1/2 inches for the females. I often have both females spawn and that can result in the sudden appearance of over one hundred fifty fry!
Larry

CraigC
03-10-2007, 04:46 PM
Hi I am looking for a good fish to add to my discus tank to take care of the algae. If I buy some bushynose fish should I quarantine them and how would I do this. also were is a good source to buy these? Can you please help me.

Thanks

Craig

Ardan
03-11-2007, 08:35 AM
Definately quarantine for six wks. IMO
They can carry diseases including parasites.

Look here for possibility of buying some http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=55311
hth
Ardan

CraigC
03-12-2007, 12:49 AM
Ardan,

Thanks for the info

Craig

rodneyfisher
04-26-2007, 05:31 PM
Hey, I have a pair of BN plecos that have had babys twice. Is there any thing special that I should do or feed the babys to increase there chances of survival?

THANKS
Rodney

Darter02
04-27-2007, 09:58 AM
I have only one BN in my planted Discus tank, a male. I began to look for a female and discovered there are a number of subspecies. Mine is smallish, around 3 or 4 inches or so, jet black with a single white tip on its tail. A local planted aquarist has offered to give me a female that matches its description.

Does anyone know where I can learn more about the different varieties?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/195/461491866_8c7b188f86_o.jpg
Lurking in the murky shadows...

wolfbane
04-27-2007, 01:05 PM
Try this site http://planetcatfish.com/

Ed13
04-27-2007, 01:09 PM
Does anyone know where I can learn more about the different varieties?

If it is the common LFS BN captive bred its impossible to identify to species because no one knows were the "originals" were collected, plus also becuase dozens of undiscribed varieties exist, its beleived that the ones available from farms are hybrids. The albino and long-fin (veiltail) varieties bred in a captivity are probably easier accepted to be hybrids since ther is only few individuals with this traits per species coming from the wild

here is some of the best info on BN
http://planetcatfish.com/cotm/cotm.php?article_id=112
http://planetcatfish.com/shanesworld/shanesworld.php?article_id=270

http://planetcatfish.com/shanesworld/shanesworld.php?article_id=314

Hey, I have a pair of BN plecos that have had babys twice. Is there any thing special that I should do or feed the babys to increase there chances of survival?

THANKS
Rodney

http://planetcatfish.com/shanesworld/shanesworld.php?article_id=251
http://planetcatfish.com/shanesworld/shanesworld.php?article_id=244
http://planetcatfish.com/shanesworld/shanesworld.php?article_id=328

Danlee
04-28-2007, 10:37 PM
Hey Guys

Thought i'd contribute with some Bn pics :)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b371/aquariumsrus/bristlenose.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b371/aquariumsrus/Bristelnose%20Catfish/IMG_6126.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b371/aquariumsrus/Bristelnose%20Catfish/IMG_6129.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b371/aquariumsrus/Bristelnose%20Catfish/IMG_6180.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b371/aquariumsrus/Bristelnose%20Catfish/IMG_6172.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b371/aquariumsrus/Bristelnose%20Catfish/IMG_6258.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b371/aquariumsrus/Bristelnose%20Catfish/albino%20Bn/IMG_6949.jpg

They breed non stop!

Also baby bn for the first week or so don't like big water changes, i also leave the dad in there with them for the first week or 2 because i was told the dad's wastes help the babies digestion.

Hope you like :)

Cheers
Dan

Ed13
04-29-2007, 12:59 AM
Dan:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Very nice! If only the L183 were so easy

Ardan
04-29-2007, 06:53 AM
Nice!:) Thanks for posting the pics.

Ardan

Apistomaster
12-12-2007, 03:21 PM
Results of two females spawning with one male albino Ancistrus sp.3, common Bushy Nose.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/apistomaster/AncistrusAlbFry0005.jpg

C_of_Discus
12-12-2007, 04:03 PM
Willie can you tell me your reasons behind that?
Thanks!

They use Drift wood to spawn. They do not need it in their diet

Courtney1983
02-25-2008, 09:15 PM
I know i am new here, but i have a large female that is Super Aggressive she does not like other fish and since she lost her mate i cant find her another, and she cant be kept in my community tanks, so the poor thing is in with my dwarf puffers, :(

IAMTHOMAS
06-08-2008, 02:18 AM
Thanks for sharing, But are there any other algae eating fish besides that which won't eat the mucus of the Discus?

Sandy W
11-12-2008, 05:10 PM
Just wondering...would they eat red cherry shrimp if put in a tank with them?

Terrybo
12-30-2008, 01:11 PM
Most of the pictures of female bristlenose plecos that I've seen do not have many bristles. I won 2 "male" albino bristlenose at an auction, but the labels were mixed up on some of the packages, so I'm wondering, did I get a male and a female, or a male and a less mature male. The first picture is the obvious male, the second picture is the one I think is a female. What do you BNP breeders think?

Terry

Discus-Hans
12-30-2008, 09:35 PM
I post it earlier but for those who didn't see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc_Uf32lycY

I breed those at the moment by the 1,000's lots of fun.

Testing at the moment how to produce the most, 1 pair in 1/6 of a 65 gallon with foam dividers, 6 pairs in an open (without dividers) 65 gallon.
14 pairs in a 65 gallon and take every time the cave, male and eggs out.
Put them in the fry (65 gallon) tank, if the fry start going trough the tank, put the cave and male back for a new "fill up" lol lol

Hans

marnold
01-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Do the males develop the bristles at a certain age?I have two unk sex and neither have the bristles yet and there around 2.5-3 inches long.

Terrybo
01-01-2009, 08:02 PM
The male in my photo above is just a little over 3 inches long. (He already had the bristles when I got him a couple of months ago).

Terry

Discus-Hans
01-01-2009, 09:59 PM
At 3" and no bristles means 99% sure you got 2 females,

Hans

marnold
01-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Thanks Hans.

Wahter
01-22-2009, 11:32 PM
Sometimes, you'll get a bristlenose/ bushynose who decides to latch on to the side of a discus and rasp away! I never saw this happen when it was smaller.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40631&stc=1&d=1232681522

Walter

kaceyo
01-23-2009, 12:04 AM
I have a tank with 4 BN pleco's I've removed from various tanks over the years due to their feeding (or trying to feed) on discus. It's always the big adult BN's that do it, mostly at night while the discus are stationary. You can see the tell-tale marks left by the pleco's the next day.

Kacey

Eddie
01-23-2009, 07:14 AM
You see, I knew it. Everybody was saying BN don't do it and there you go....solid evidence. I would not have had the patience to take that picture, mister BN would be in the corner :mad: quick!

Thanks for sharing
Eddie

Wahter
01-24-2009, 08:32 PM
That nasty ancistrus is now for sale at the LFS! I traded it in today! Good riddance!!!

Walter

MostlyDiscus
01-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Ya they can latch on. small protion though. Hans if you have BN albinos for sale I am a buyer. Plz let me know. I burn my light 24/7 so there is no night time BN feedings. Ed

Greg Richardson
01-24-2009, 11:49 PM
The amount that do latch on is so small to just not use them because of that imo is not worth the benefits they provide.

From my experience it doesn't need to be night time if they are going to do it. As soon as you see it happen remove the one who does and let your others continue to benefit your maintence and your discus.

Discus-Hans
01-25-2009, 02:34 AM
Ya they can latch on. small protion though. Hans if you have BN albinos for sale I am a buyer. Plz let me know. I burn my light 24/7 so there is no night time BN feedings. Ed

Ed. we are building up a stock and growing them at the moment, I only sell some to pick up customers,

Hans

MostlyDiscus
01-25-2009, 01:18 PM
Well then,,, That would be a good reason to come and visit you then:D. My guess is your around an hour or so away. Let me know what times work for you.

Ed

Triadtropz
01-26-2009, 08:49 AM
how do we quarantine these Plecos. Can these plecos withstand treatment of formalin to rid them of external parasites like Discus?

any insights based on experiences

you can treat them with formalin,...bushynose are fairly hardy, I used to keep them in my discus tanks til i caught them feeding on the discus, one to many times..

utiliy
02-08-2009, 08:01 PM
so-just how many of us have them in the discus tank? and if a person got a 1/2 dozen-how long should he quarantine them?

Jhhnn
05-28-2009, 09:01 PM
My young bushynoses love cucumber slices, too...

grantbudd74
06-13-2009, 10:18 AM
I know this is an old thread but I have had a couple in my 6x2x2 with 8 juvenile discus in and they have laid eggs already on my sword leaves and I saw a few babies swimming along the bottom. Only about 3-4 mm in length but swimming like crazy agaist the current of my filter. Its not that strong but fo them it is!

My questions are:

Why remove the parents?
Also are the babies safe in a community tank or will the Discus eat them given they love live blackworm and bloodworm?

Also they have not laid in a cave just in plain sight on a sword leaf but in a high flow area so the babies will get blown all over the tank bottom and probably into my canister to be lost for ever lol!

ANy help?

Thanks

Grant

grantbudd74
06-13-2009, 10:24 AM
Oh in my old tank when new I had an algie outbreak so I was advised to purchase a couple of sailfin plecos! Well as I have just seen and persoanlly experienced YES they do attack discus! I lost 3 adult fish to my 6-7 inch sailfins! All at night and they went into a bucket (was tempted to out them another place!) and straight to the LFS!!!

NOT HAPPY! Why do LFS shops say yeah these fish are just fine for is beyond me? We go to them for advice and repeat business and this is what we get. Even a warning would be good. So now I have to deal with this again as I have 2 breeding Bristlenose right now..hmmm what to do? ANy advice? They have a done a great job of cleaning up the algie in my new tank mind you.. I have 8 juvenile discus in a 6x2x2 along with the bristlenose and 6 cories and will have about 20 tetra in a week.

Thx

akumastew
11-06-2009, 02:26 PM
I have 5 BNP.

I bought them when the were 0.5-1" in size.

The largest is now slightly over 2" and the rest ~1.5".

Do males/females grow at different rates?

Or is this just the normal variation in fish growth?

- Stew

bigbrad73
02-17-2010, 04:23 PM
Is the Albino just as good as the regular BN? as far as getting algae on wall.

Mrylln
02-23-2010, 08:27 PM
Absolutely. Bristlenose catfishes (there are several species, and it's difficult to tell them apart) are excellent for clearing glass and other aquarium surfaces of several types of algae, diatoms, and that slimy stuff (bioslime) that we need to wipe off aquarium glass so often. Great worker fish.

My tactic, since I do like to see my discus eggs hatch into fry, etc., is to keep only very small ancistrus in with the breeders; juvenile ancistrus in with varying sizes of fry; and the adult ancistrus in breeding tanks without discus (who will happily eat tiny ancistry fry.) That way, everybody's happy.

They need some driftwood in the tank to gnaw on for their digestive processes, and they are very well fed on an occasional slice of zuchinni, a raw pea with the skin slipped, algae wafers, etc. The adults certainly will eat fish eggs, and are at least partially carnivorous.

Good luck with them. I raise axelrodi types of red discus, and find the ancistrus to be a real helper. If anyone needs some, I have both ancistrus and discus available.

mjs020294
02-23-2010, 11:44 PM
I love the Albino BN, especially in a planted tank with lots of driftwood.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a319/mjs020294/DSC02276.jpg

diamond_discus
02-24-2010, 01:39 AM
Absolutely. Bristlenose catfishes (there are several species, and it's difficult to tell them apart) are excellent for clearing glass and other aquarium surfaces of several types of algae, diatoms, and that slimy stuff (bioslime) that we need to wipe off aquarium glass so often. Great worker fish.

My tactic, since I do like to see my discus eggs hatch into fry, etc., is to keep only very small ancistrus in with the breeders; juvenile ancistrus in with varying sizes of fry; and the adult ancistrus in breeding tanks without discus (who will happily eat tiny ancistry fry.) That way, everybody's happy.

They need some driftwood in the tank to gnaw on for their digestive processes, and they are very well fed on an occasional slice of zuchinni, a raw pea with the skin slipped, algae wafers, etc. The adults certainly will eat fish eggs, and are at least partially carnivorous.

Good luck with them. I raise axelrodi types of red discus, and find the ancistrus to be a real helper. If anyone needs some, I have both ancistrus and discus available.

My ABN actually will eat some beefheart mix .. or whatever is left at the bottom. I don't feed them any special food or vegetables.

I recently brought a dozen half inches and try to grow them out .. I only feed them colorbits and they are growing out very nicely.

My question is, do they really need to eat vegetables ?

mjs020294
02-24-2010, 10:15 AM
Ours eats beef heart as well. We give them algae wafers, and cucumber as a treat.

kaceyo
02-24-2010, 02:28 PM
My BN eat whatever they can manage to get of the discus food, along with the slime and diatom algea they "clean" off the surfaces. I don't have any driftwood either. When I bred them I did feed algea wafers and kept driftwod for them as I wanted them to be in good condition for breeding and raising fry.

Kacey

gwrace
02-25-2010, 09:48 AM
The amount that do latch on is so small to just not use them because of that imo is not worth the benefits they provide.

From my experience it doesn't need to be night time if they are going to do it. As soon as you see it happen remove the one who does and let your others continue to benefit your maintence and your discus.

I agree. As we all know individual fish have different behavior patterns. I've had albino BN plecos in all my tanks for years and never had any issues with them bothering any other fish including discus. But I feed them everyday with foods they like such as algae wafers. My tanks are always algae free and I believe they provide a great benefit.

angel eyes
04-26-2010, 05:31 AM
I breed the bristlenose plecos, currently phasing the standards and calicos out and working with the Albino Longfins.
new to this, so not sure if this will work (photo link of bristlenoses)http://www.flickr.com/photos/0828dawn/

Fishish
02-12-2011, 12:18 PM
very good information, i've had 4 albino longfin bristlenose plecos for a while, but i didnt know some of that information, thanks!

Stag
08-27-2011, 09:18 PM
That's a lot of good info. I have a bit of algae in my tank and I already have 2 x 2in. ABNs in my other tank.

Do you think that they would bother discus eggs at 2in?

Discus-Hans
08-28-2011, 01:58 AM
That's a lot of good info. I have a bit of algae in my tank and I already have 2 x 2in. ABNs in my other tank.

Do you think that they would bother discus eggs at 2in?

They won't bother them................just eat them lol lol

Stag
08-28-2011, 10:49 AM
haha thanks hans. :D

How small of pleco tend to not bother eggs?

chiligum
11-29-2011, 10:55 AM
BN's are one of the few Plec's that carry on eating algae all through their life unlike their larger cousins that start off small and cleaning your tank and then getting huge, not eating any algae and leaving huge trails of poop behing them everywhere they go!...By the way, i'm mark from England and i stumbled across this site today!

dirtyplants
09-25-2013, 07:14 PM
I am sorry to say I had to remove my breeding trio of 15 years out of my discus tank. They suddenly developed a taste for discus slim. I have them in my sick tank for the moment. I am in need of a small slow growing pleco that takes years to mature, for algae, and needs drift wood. Looking for hard worker. :computer: safe for discus. Need suggestions!

snakeskin blue
02-03-2014, 07:35 PM
I have keped them along with discus in a planted tank for a while now and from what I see they are very good at keeping algae off glass and plants. discus pay no mind to them and vice versa.

DISCUS STU
06-10-2014, 10:32 AM
They're cool little Plecos. Great Discus tank addition to help keep algae down.

1) They work hard
2) Don't get aggressive with other fish
3) Don't go after my Discus's slime coat and bother them

humanbeardog
07-20-2014, 01:50 PM
nice

DISCUS STU
08-07-2014, 11:38 AM
Nice piece, kudos! They're great algae eaters and good citizens in regard to the rest of my fish. They don't get very large, maybe 4-4 1/2 inches (? cm) and don't harass my Discus for their slime coat, unlike Gibbiceps. I use them in all my tanks. I haven't had to bother with any special food requirements, they eat what I feed my Discus. They're good maintenance workers, like my Brochis Cats.

Ginger
06-21-2015, 04:16 AM
I wonder if suckermouth cats are more likely to attach to discus if they are missing something in their diet.

Ginger

Bc chick
07-18-2016, 04:14 PM
You see, I knew it. Everybody was saying BN don't do it and there you go....solid evidence. I would not have had the patience to take that picture, mister BN would be in the corner :mad: quick!

Thanks for sharing
Eddie

Eddie what kind of discus is that by your name?

Bc chick
07-18-2016, 04:17 PM

I used to do this, but after joining here and seeing postings on lights n stuff i have started to turn them out and i am having major problems with fish disappearing in the night

LizStreithorst
02-28-2020, 08:55 PM
The Bristlenose Plecostomus, some facts
The bristlenose, sometimes called the bushynose,
plecostomus is a member of the family Loricariidae. These are
the "suckermouth catfish". Bristlenose are from the genus
"Ancistrus".
The telltale sign of a bristlenose is the bristles or tentacles on
the nose of the fish. The males have the longer bristles. The
body of the fish is protected by "armour". A bony substance
covering the outer part of the fish, except for the stomach area.
Bristlenose also have a "round" mouth when compared to
other plecostomus.
The bristlenose catfish has an array of sensory organs. First is
the eye, containing a "flap" that can close as light intesity
increases. There is not another family of fish that has this. The
eye is on "top" of the head and can only look upward. This
does not aid in finding food, but the fish has other senses for
this. The bristlenose has a very small swimbladder consisting
of 2 sections connected by a small tube. There are 2 bones
very close to the swimbladder that vibrate when sounds are in
the water and this acts as an inner ear for the pleco.
The lateral line runs down tghe side of the body and very
close to their "inner ear". This also helps sense things in the
water.
The bristlenose have a very high level of "taste" as they are
covered from head to tail with "tastebuds". The mouth is even
more sensitive to taste.
The bristlenose is able to take in oxygen in two ways. First by
passing oxygen rich water over the gill plates, and secondly by
swallowing air and obsorbing the oxygen through a section in
the intestine. They can thus "gulp" air from the surface in some
of the dry season when water levels are low and oxygen
deficient, or in very muddy streams during the rainy season.
Bristlenose have a very long intestinal tract to absorb nutrients.
The covering on the bristlenose also serves as "camoflauge"
to blend the pleco into its surroundings to protect it from
predators.
Bristlenose are found in many areas of South America,
ranging in water temperatures of 70F to 90F. They are found in
a wide area, approximately 60 times the size of the United
Kingdom.
Bristlenose mainly eat algae. Spawning generally occurs
during the rainy season, when food and oxygen are plentiful.
Bristlenose also like to search for food in groups. Sometimes
the first plecos in the group stir up the mud that is covering the
algae and others follow the cleaned area to feed.
Feeding the fish can be done by using algae pellets, peas or
sliced zucchini that has been blanched or cooked in boiling
water for a couple minutes and then the shells of the peas
removed. Once a week a bit of protein can be fed either with
"catfish wafers" or some blood worms.
Spawning "triggers" are sometimes a water change with
"cooler" water. Extra aeration may also help. The male will find
a cave to take up residence, mate with the female and then he
will watch over the spawn and guard it.

Ardan

references
"Bristlenoses, Catfish with Character" by Kathy Jinkings
"Exotic Tropical Fishes" by Dr. Axelrod, Dr. Emmens, Dr.
Sculthorpe, Mr. Vordrwinkler, and Mr. Pronek, TFH Publications

The first pic is of a female bushynose pleco

Isn't this an ancient post? I'm kinda getting into BB. I was hoping to find more info on different strains but I sure did learn some stuff I didn't know. They have taste buds all over their body. Imagine having to taste everything on touching your body. Yuck!

This question is for Jeanne. I have a group of L 144's. They are like my Albinos in color but their eyes don't look blue. Do they have a common name?

I have a planted 100 gallon free of fish except for them and my grand daddy Magenta snails and a bunch of baby plecos both Albino, brown, and brown with a white tips on their tails. The all brown's bore me, but I like my all of them especially the albinos and more especially the brown white tipped. I know if I but the different strains in the tank will interbreed and I'll have a bunch of muts. What other fish would you suggest putting in with them. I want a schooling fish. The temp of the tank will be 82 or 83. Because the tank is in the fish room with Discus all my tanks have fish that like those temps. Any suggestions? I took the five 4 1/2'' Discus that were in it to the LFS the other day.

famtsberg
08-31-2020, 10:32 AM
This guy is really shy. Good looking dood though.

Willie
08-31-2020, 10:43 AM
Isn't this an ancient post?...

I've kept lots of bushynose plecos over the past two decades and this information is rather dated. I'm not aware that bushynose can gulp air, since they have no lungs. Also, they're not strict vegetarians. In fact, I can push them to spawn by adding beefheart to their diet. The more beefheart I throw in, the more frequently they'll spawn. I've never noticed that cold water will trigger spawning. They spawn regularly, in cold water, warm water or hot water. Once they start, you can't get them to stop.

The long fin versions, however, seem to spawn far less frequently than the short fin types. The 'dragon' types spawn even less often. I'm working on long fin super reds and long fin blue eye versions now, having given up on Green Dragons and Albino Green Dragons.

Willie