PDA

View Full Version : 29gal tank for discus

neon
03-26-2006, 03:18 PM
I would like a pair of discus would the 29gal be good size? How do you season the tank? The discus are going to be the only fish. I was thinking of a power filter is this good if not what kind of filter I should use?

KIWI13
03-26-2006, 03:19 PM
29 would be no problem at all for a pair...

Are you planning on gettin an adult pair ? or just a couple of discus?

Jason

neon
03-26-2006, 03:36 PM
I would like to get an adult pair if I can get a good price. But willing to just get a couple discus to start. This will be my first discus tank.

KIWI13
03-27-2006, 04:00 AM
Neon, are you an experienced hobbiest?? cause if its your first time with discus, I would not recommend an adult pair to begin with.
If you have been keeping fish for awhile and you know how to maintain a good tank with good water and filteration then why not. Making mistakes with adult fish can be expensive.

A couple of juvis in a 29 gallon is a BAD IDEA. Discus like to school and they do good in groups of 6 and higher.

Personally I would suggest you get a bigger tank and start with a young group of 6 to 8 fishes. I have 6 in a 30 gallon but it requires alot of work and alot of cleaning and filteration. If your not experienced, I would not suggest you do it.

If you can get a 50 gallon, then that would be a good start for 6 juvi discus.

if not you can try 3 in your 29.

Jason

Jarrod
03-27-2006, 08:04 AM
Neon...first a big WELCOME to Simply! You will find alot of help and advice on here...all of it good.
As to the 29 gal tank I'd have to agree with Kiwi...to be honest discus do the best in groups of 6 or more..a 29 will work for a period of time as a grow out tank for juvies..but as they grow they will definetly need more space to thrive and be happy. The general rule of thumb that I have learned in my own limited experience with discus is the 10 gal per fish rule. As juvies grow and get larger they will need more room...a 29 would be ok for say a pair of adults that may be spawning. But for anymore than that I would most definetly consider a larger tank to give them room to thrive for you. And as to your question on filtration...myself I use a HOB filter along with a sponge filter in every tank I have up and running...all my tanks are BB for ease in cleaning...there again this is just how I am doing it and using a TON of the help that I have gotten on this forum.:D hth and again welcome to Simply and best of luck to you on your new discus tank...it's an addiction and best of all it's legal...lol
Jarrod

neon
03-27-2006, 12:59 PM
Neon...first a big WELCOME to Simply! You will find alot of help and advice on here...all of it good.
As to the 29 gal tank I'd have to agree with Kiwi...to be honest discus do the best in groups of 6 or more..a 29 will work for a period of time as a grow out tank for juvies..but as they grow they will definetly need more space to thrive and be happy. The general rule of thumb that I have learned in my own limited experience with discus is the 10 gal per fish rule. As juvies grow and get larger they will need more room...a 29 would be ok for say a pair of adults that may be spawning. But for anymore than that I would most definetly consider a larger tank to give them room to thrive for you. And as to your question on filtration...myself I use a HOB filter along with a sponge filter in every tank I have up and running...all my tanks are BB for ease in cleaning...there again this is just how I am doing it and using a TON of the help that I have gotten on this forum.:D hth and again welcome to Simply and best of luck to you on your new discus tank...it's an addiction and best of all it's legal...lol
Jarrod
What is a HOB filter?

RyanH
03-27-2006, 01:03 PM
HOB: "hang on the back" filter.

AADiscus
03-27-2006, 03:03 PM
Neon, you got great advice from KIWI and Jarrod. A 29 gal is best used for breeding discus. Since this is your first discus tank you want to make sure you take the right steps in getting the tank setup correctly so that when you get your discus they will do good for you. I would suggest starting out with a 50 or 55 gal tank. Make sure your tank is cycled. This means that your filters have the good bacteria in them and are not new with nothing in them. It normally takes approx 4 weeks maybe a little longer to do this with a no fish cycle. (thats another topic lol) I would suggest a bb (bare bottom) tank, if you really want something in there maybe a piece of driftwood. You might want to put a light background on the ends and back of the tank as well. If the tank you get has a mirror effect on the bottom you might want to paint it white or cover it with a light colored background as well. Set your temp on the tank around 84-86. Get you a school of about 6-8 juv. discus. Rule of thumb is 10 gal per fish. You will do ok with 6-8 in a 55 as long as you maintain your maintenance on the tank good. Make sure you get or order your discus from a reputable breeder. Try to stay away from lfs. Alot of times there fish are runts and sick. You don't want to start out with sick fish.

Hope this helps and post any questions you have. There is alot of knowledge here at Simply.

ps.....WELCOME TO SIMPLY DISCUS! :D

neon
03-27-2006, 06:32 PM
Neon, you got great advice from KIWI and Jarrod. A 29 gal is best used for breeding discus. Since this is your first discus tank you want to make sure you take the right steps in getting the tank setup correctly so that when you get your discus they will do good for you. I would suggest starting out with a 50 or 55 gal tank. Make sure your tank is cycled. This means that your filters have the good bacteria in them and are not new with nothing in them. It normally takes approx 4 weeks maybe a little longer to do this with a no fish cycle. (thats another topic lol) I would suggest a bb (bare bottom) tank, if you really want something in there maybe a piece of driftwood. You might want to put a light background on the ends and back of the tank as well. If the tank you get has a mirror effect on the bottom you might want to paint it white or cover it with a light colored background as well. Set your temp on the tank around 84-86. Get you a school of about 6-8 juv. discus. Rule of thumb is 10 gal per fish. You will do ok with 6-8 in a 55 as long as you maintain your maintenance on the tank good. Make sure you get or order your discus from a reputable breeder. Try to stay away from lfs. Alot of times there fish are runts and sick. You don't want to start out with sick fish.

Hope this helps and post any questions you have. There is alot of knowledge here at Simply.

ps.....WELCOME TO SIMPLY DISCUS! :D
How do you do a fishless cycle?

RyanH
03-27-2006, 07:31 PM
http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/water_chemistry/general/pre_cycling.shtml

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=40119

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=33124

hth :)
-Ryan

neon
03-27-2006, 08:01 PM
http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/water_chemistry/general/pre_cycling.shtml

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=40119

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=33124

hth :)
-Ryan

Will the hagen AquaClear30 be ok or should I go a little bigger?

RyanH
03-27-2006, 08:37 PM
I'd go with an AC70 and a hydro IV sponge.

AADiscus
03-28-2006, 01:12 PM
Thanks Ryan. ;)

neon
03-28-2006, 02:28 PM
Thanks Ryan. ;)

I thought discus like claim water. Wouldn't the aquaclear70 make to strong of a current in the tank?

RyanH
03-28-2006, 05:11 PM
This is how I keep my breeding pairs when I'm breeding and it's also how I keep my 29 gallon quarantine tank setup. It's never been a problem for me. The AC70 isn't running that much water through.

IME, Discus don't mind the flow it creates at all... even in a smaller tank like a 29.

hth
-Ryan

neon
04-03-2006, 07:04 PM
Around what size do discus start to pair off?

RyanH
04-03-2006, 08:26 PM
Typically it's around 4 1/2-5" at the smallest but it really depends on age not size.

Some fish will start to notice members of the opposite sex as early as 9 months. While others, like many blue diamonds for example, will take much longer.

hth:)
-Ryan

neon
04-03-2006, 08:47 PM
Typically it's around 4 1/2-5" at the smallest but it really depends on age not size.

Some fish will start to notice members of the opposite sex as early as 9 months. While others, like many blue diamonds for example, will take much longer.

hth:)
-Ryan

So it would be ok to start with two 5" discus?

RyanH
04-03-2006, 10:59 PM
So it would be ok to start with two 5" discus?

Maybe a mated pair.

Othewise you'll likely have two fish that will fight alot. One will lose and then get sick. The other will be timid and hide because it's alone. I've seen alot of people start out this way only to be frustrated and disappointed. It's not an arrangement that I can recommend unless, as I said, maybe if it's a proven mated pair.

Keep in mind: mated pairs are expensive. You will pay alot of money for decent fish. Despite the money and promises, there's still no way to tell if the seller was honest with you about the fish actually being a pair until you get them settled in. Even if they were a pair, the move could split them up and they could start fighting. If you decide to go this route, only buy from a reputable breeder, preferably local, or you will be asking for trouble.

Honestly, you really don't want to start in Discus with a 29 gallon tank. You are setting yourself up for tough times. Buy a 55 gallon tank and 6-8 good quality 3" juveniles. If you can't afford to do it now, wait until you can. If you do things correctly from the start, you'll thank yourself later.

JMHO

-Ryan

Dissident
04-03-2006, 11:15 PM
Honestly, you really don't want to start in Discus with a 29 gallon tank. You are setting yourself up for tough times. Buy a 55 gallon tank and 6-8 good quality 3" juveniles. If you can't afford to do it now, wait until you can. If you do things correctly from the start, you'll thank yourself later.

JMHO

-Ryan

I would have to agree there.

Even if you start of with 6 3" in the smaller tank they will quickly out grow it. You could probably get away with that many in a 45gal, it is just taller of a tank (if i remember right). But a 55gal/75gal is perfect for starting and learning.

neon
04-04-2006, 03:38 PM
Can anybody tell me a good online place where to buy a pair of discus?

RyanH
04-04-2006, 04:29 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//forumdisplay.php?f=42