PDA

View Full Version : Finally got a heckel!!

ItsGeoff
03-27-2006, 07:43 PM
well today i broke down and bought the heckel one of my LFS has had for the past 6 months or so. its alittle larger then what i would have liked but oh well. i just couldnt go any longer without one. i got too impatient to wait til july when my friend goes to peru to get some. anyway its a heckel, about 4 inches or so. good color and shape. i will post pictures up of him later when its used to the tank and calms down more. just had to spred the news. and honestly the price wasnt as bad as i was expecting.

Jarrod
03-27-2006, 07:51 PM
Cool Geoff!! ..I can undertstand the not wanting to wait LOL...I suffer from that same malady myself....especially when it's something I really really want....congrats on getting your new Heckel!...and can't wait to see pics of it when it's outta qt and settled in.:thumbsup:
Jarrod

ItsGeoff
03-27-2006, 08:07 PM
hehe the wait has prolley been about 16+ years for me. i wanted them ever since i saw them when my parents got thier fish tank in early 90's or so. but we couldnt get them cause they wanted a community tank and they were expensive at that point and time. then they dissappeared from here for a while. they had 3 orginally but sold the other two to some ranfom guy and this one has waited for several months so i just HAD to have him.

diskboy
03-27-2006, 09:53 PM
i wish my lfs had some heckels

goheel
03-28-2006, 12:17 AM
pic? My LFS has a discus that's listed as a Heckel, but it's not.

ItsGeoff
03-28-2006, 12:43 AM
yeah i will get pics when it calms down and comes out from hiding so much.

nacra99
03-28-2006, 01:56 AM
Wow... it's pretty rare that you find LFS's with heckels.
Does he have discus friends with him in that 55 gal? or is he all by himself?

If so... did you put him on QT for a couple of weeks? It might be a good idea to do so.

I like heckels too! Just got some a couple of weeks ago myself. Hope you enjoy him (or her?) very much!

CAGE-RATTLER
03-28-2006, 02:28 AM
Congrats on your newly aquired Heckle.

First time ive heard anyone complain that there discus was to big though ...... lol

ItsGeoff
03-28-2006, 08:41 AM
haha yes it weird i said it was too big but i like to watch them grow. anyway he does have servel friends in the tank with him. 5 others actually. hopefully after the summer i will have some more in there and fewer domestic strains.

ItsGeoff
03-30-2006, 03:20 PM
question for you guys and gals with heckels/wilds. this one that i have has been in my tank for close to a week now and it still hiding in the back. i havent seen it eat anything but it still looks good. breathing good and normal. seems REALLY shy. i have it in the tank with 5 other fish so i would think it would be then happy to come out or does it take them a while to adjust.

ItsGeoff
03-30-2006, 06:10 PM
figures as soon as i post this it gets brave and starts to come out. wasnt out for very long but i snapped a couple of quick pics. i think he likes the turq.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/GeoffSFAs10/Fish%20Tanks/heckel-sml.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/GeoffSFAs10/Fish%20Tanks/heckel2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/GeoffSFAs10/Fish%20Tanks/heckelandturq.jpg

ItsGeoff
05-19-2006, 11:52 AM
new news. this orginal heckel has been doing great and today another accidently followed me home. hehe. :D

yeomans
05-19-2006, 03:04 PM
I'd love to have a wild heckel. My lfs rarley carries discus anyways, especially wilds. good luck

ItsGeoff
05-19-2006, 04:42 PM
this one is doing great. been here for 4 hours and is out with the others, has good color, wasnt scared of the camera and is eating. horray!!

Cosmo
05-19-2006, 07:11 PM
Heckels are so cool :) One of my favorites :)

Jim

nacra99
05-19-2006, 09:08 PM
....today another accidently followed me home....

Yeah... that's why you got to beware.... those critters tend to do that... :D

Tad
05-21-2006, 12:22 AM
question for you guys and gals with heckels/wilds. this one that i have has been in my tank for close to a week now and it still hiding in the back. i havent seen it eat anything but it still looks good. breathing good and normal. seems REALLY shy. i have it in the tank with 5 other fish so i would think it would be then happy to come out or does it take them a while to adjust.

My experience with Heckels is that they are a lot more skittish and shy compared to other wilds that I have or currently own....almost as bad as my Altums...Normally I try to keep the lights off in my Heckel tank..

best of luck with your new Hecks,
Tad

ItsGeoff
05-21-2006, 09:37 AM
well after a day or two the new one is still doing great. he is swimming with the others, eats like a pig and isnt very skiddish. i think the fact i had 5 others in the tank that were already very bold and unaffirad it helped out alot. and here is a picture of the new one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/GeoffSFAs10/Fish%20Tanks/newheckel.jpg

jeep8rus
05-22-2006, 10:04 PM
Mine is always just hanging out in one spot unless it's feeding time. I think it's because he's a small runt and get's picked on. I'm thinking of trying to get another so they can team up.

-Russ

pcsb23
05-23-2006, 06:00 PM
I like heckels too, nice fish you have there.

Apistomaster
09-08-2006, 11:06 PM
My experience with Heckels is that they are somewhat more retiring and less dominant than wild caught aquifasciata or tank raised discus. I think they do best when kept with their own kind. Also a completely bare tank makes them feel less secure. Add a couple of low profile pieces of driftwood and a couple of potted sword plants and it will help put them at ease.
I currently have ten Heckels but have had many more over the years. I like all wild discus but Heckels have always been a favorite. They are the only wild types; brown,green, and blues, that I have'nt successfully spawned and raised any fry.