PDA

View Full Version : black phantom tetras

wheeler
04-02-2006, 01:55 AM
i am setting up a 90 gallon planted tank and was wondering about some black phantom tetras. i would like to have a school of about six or so in the tank. others will include about 20-25 cardinals, a pair of blue rams, about a half dozen cories and two dwarf plecos. oh yeah, how could i forget about the discus...haha!

will the black phantoms be alright with the heat and such?? i'm pretty sure they will only get to be the size of black skirt tetras. i presently have three phantoms in my sons tank and look very nice and seem to get along with everything in there. pretty docile IMO.

if they won't work, do you have any other suggestions for tetras about 2-3" size.

thanks in advance.

pcsb23
04-06-2006, 09:50 AM
Wheeler,

The book I have says that the max temp for these is 28C (82F), interesting as it also says cardinals max is 25C (77F). Well I've kept cardinals in 30C (86F) for years without probs, so based on that very poor logic they should do fine. Like most tetra species they do best in shoals, again the books often say shoals of 6, personally I find they do better in larger shoals than that and would go for 12. An alternative is the Emporer Tetra, thats really beautiful. On the plecs, I know everyone probably has them but the BN's really take some beating.

hth,