PDA

View Full Version : Red Mangroves in Freshwater

londonloco
04-03-2006, 09:31 PM
I'm going to add some red mangroves to my brackish and reef, and have read they will "tolerate freshwater". Acclaimation can be a pain, but if it's possible I'd love to try some on my discus tank. Anyone here have any information on mangroves in freshwater? and/or discus tanks....

ItsGeoff
04-03-2006, 10:04 PM
you can do it cause they dont need the salt. they actually filter the salt out. we had them in freshwater at work and would have done well but our light we had them under is bad, and the substrate isnt the best

wheeler
04-03-2006, 10:30 PM
could you possibly post a pic or a link. i'd like to see these mangroves.

londonloco
04-03-2006, 10:33 PM
http://www.toptropicals.com/html/aqua/plants/mangrove/mangrove_eng.htm

nacra99
04-04-2006, 12:12 AM
When i was still in the military, i was stationed right next to a mangrove swamp... those things get huge!! It's a tree.... Will it fit in your fish tank??

londonloco
04-04-2006, 07:36 AM
When i was still in the military, i was stationed right next to a mangrove swamp... those things get huge!! It's a tree.... Will it fit in your fish tank??

Careful pruning is needed to ensure proper growth patterns, and to keep the mangrove at a proper height. You want the roots to grow for nutrient export. They are very slow growers, but even so, eventually they will need to be taken out of the aquarium and potted. Some sites say they live 30-40 years, some say up to 70 years. Julian Sprung says red mangroves will adapt to fresh water aquariums, proper acclamation is a must. Several days in a bucket gradually lowering the salinity level to zero. I'm going to try it, I can get 10 seedlings shipped to me for the price of one in an LFS.