PDA

View Full Version : breeding rams

cobaltblue
04-04-2006, 12:29 AM
Anyone know if i need to keep both parents with the eggs \fry of blue rams?

I have about 150 wiggling eggs with only the father on the side (divided tank) with the eggs. Can the dad do it himself, or should i put the mom back. The mom ate the fry last time. Also, how long will the fry be able to feed off the microworms on the roots of my java fern? When should i start BBS?

AmberC
04-04-2006, 09:36 AM
Well if the mom has a history of eating them then it might be wise to keep her away. BUT sometimes new parents will do this. If it were me.. I think that I would put her in, but at the first sign of fry chomping I'd remove her. You'll have to watch closely to see if she is actually eating them or if shes just cleaning them. They will take them into the mouth and kinda swish em around and spit them back out to clean them. It is a very tough job running after that many fry for both parents.. the father probably could do it himself, but hes gonna wear down pretty quick and probably eat some to cut down his workload.

As for feeding the fry.... when they become free swimming, they yolks are more than likely gone and you can start BBS then. But dont fret too much because you said they are in a java fern roots and that is a wonderful place for them to be right now. Once they really become active is when you need to put in the BBS.

Question... you said divided tank. Hopefully the divider does not have holes? Are there other fish in the tank? What about your filtration, they can get sucked up if you do not put something over your intakes. I used a piece of nylon and a rubber band to hold it on to my filter intakes.

Amber

cobaltblue
04-04-2006, 09:06 PM
Hey Amber,

My divider has pantyhose stretched over it, so nothing passes but water.
My intake also has a sponge over it and fry do not get sucked into it.
I put the female back in with the little family....i work lots though, so its hard to watch them too much. A couple hours in the evening is all i get....Ill let you know how it works out.

lado
04-05-2006, 03:08 AM
From my limmited expirieance .Done it three times . I woulde remove parents.Kept parents three other times and eags got eaten .You loose some in proces but most of them will survive.Ive got Fish from three spans together bigest ones at 5mm smallest ones just freeswimming.Java moss works well .I had bad luck my microworms colony went bad just as I needed it the most.This would help survival rates stay up.

AmberC
04-05-2006, 10:08 AM
Hey Amber,

My divider has pantyhose stretched over it, so nothing passes but water.
My intake also has a sponge over it and fry do not get sucked into it.
I put the female back in with the little family....i work lots though, so its hard to watch them too much. A couple hours in the evening is all i get....Ill let you know how it works out.

Ok great! ;) Then I would think leaving them where they are would be just fine. Not moving them (your post on SC). At least not until they are bigger and self sufficient.. the parents will start to try to spawn once the fry get bigger.. then they will protect the new spawn from the old one. And at that point it might just be easier to put the parents in the 20 and let them have that tank. Less stress since they cannot see other fish and no chance of anyone getting thru the divider (that cory). JMO.

Amber