PDA

View Full Version : My Black Ghost

hexed
04-18-2006, 03:13 PM
Here's a couple pics of my black ghost knifefish :D

hexed
04-18-2006, 03:15 PM
He goes into the cave once in awhile but perfers to cram himself into the live plants instead LOL! ;)

AmberC
04-18-2006, 03:24 PM
Cool.. and hes in your discus tank?

Amber

diskboy
04-18-2006, 03:52 PM
i think so ya

hexed
04-18-2006, 10:17 PM
Yes he is in with my discus. It's funny to watch him swim LOL. He is small so he eats FBWs and CBWs and flakes. I read somewhere that he will actually go from discus to discus looking for external parasites and remove and eat them :)

Dany
04-18-2006, 11:34 PM
Do they bother your discus ? I wanted to get one for my discus tank but i was afraid it would mix with the discus.

hexed
04-18-2006, 11:39 PM
no it does not bother the discus, actually the black ghost knife is a tankmate to discus.

unfamous
04-18-2006, 11:55 PM
hey hexed i've been lookin at ur posts..beautiful tank by the way..ive always wanteda blackghost knife but i was warned not too ..if u have seen my posts in the tankmates section am getting a 100 gallon tank to be used as an amazon biotope and i am gonna keep discus and other amazonian fish and i am almost certain i want a ghost knife u think he would be good in there?...i know im usin ur post as my question..sorry! u could look at my post to c the other fish

hexed
04-19-2006, 12:32 AM
Well I don't see why not? The only thing is you cannot put tetras in the tank cause they will eat them at night.

AmberC
04-19-2006, 07:51 AM
Cool! I thought that ghost knifes were agressive for some reason. Obviously I haven't done my research ;) They will even eat larger tetras Frank?

Amber

hexed
04-19-2006, 12:24 PM
I was told they will eat neon tetra size fish. I do not have any that size in my tanks :)

diskboy
04-19-2006, 12:59 PM
i couldnt find any at ym pet store today maybe they need to get more to stock up?

AmberC
04-19-2006, 01:09 PM
Ok.. so fully grown cardinals would be ok? or do you think they are still too small?

Amber

hexed
04-19-2006, 01:44 PM
well that I do not know about LOL I was only told that I can not keep neon tetra size fish in the tank with him esp when he gets bigger. Discus are excellent tankmates I was told so I got one. HMMM he needs a name?

Paul Curtis
04-20-2006, 02:25 PM
I have had a black ghost in with my discus and cardinal tetras for 6 months. In that time the ghost has grown from 3 inches to about 10 inches long. Up until yesterday the cardinals have been fine. One of them dissapeared yesterday. It was the smallest one and was looking a little off so I couldn't really blame the ghost but I am a little suspicious. My ghost's name is hoover because it looks like an upright vacum cleaner when it is scouring the bottom for FBW and CBW. This fish really packs them in. It is the best scavenger I have ever had. It will push the discus out of the way when there are live worms in the feeding cone, but they just push him back.

Dave_S
04-26-2006, 01:52 AM
Had a Black Ghost for about a year. Great fish. Feeding was problem for the Discus though, they are pigs. Went to a tackle store a got a box of red worms (there cheap a last for months in the frig). I would drop a few in the tank – the Black Ghost would chow down then go take a nap. I could feed the Discus and eat in peace. I lost him during a tank move and was going to get another – till I saw one in a LFS that was over 2 feet long!