PDA

View Full Version : Do we really need a filter?

azzndude2005
04-23-2006, 02:41 AM
I don't have discus yet, but planning to get some next week.

I was going to make a wet dry filter today, but then I realized that I was planning to do 25% water change each day or twice a day. If i'm doing that much water change would the filter be needed?

Tony_S
04-23-2006, 05:16 AM
Simply put....YES!

Truthfully, 25% daily...or even twice daily, isnt a large waterchange, Its actually a bare minimum, borderline insufficient for juvinial discus IMO.....and only if the tank isnt overstocked to any degree.

There are largescale breeders in Asia that dont use any form of filtration while growing out discus, but they typically perform 100% waterchanges twice per day.

Tony

azzndude2005
04-23-2006, 10:47 AM
I have two tanks right now. One 75gal, and the other one 20gal.

I'm planning to buy 6-12 1.5inch discus. If I put them in a 20gal tank and do a 100% water change once or twice a day would it be the same thing as if I put them in a 75gal tank and do 20-40gal water change? Which is more important, the percentage of water change or the gals of water being change?

Coralred
04-23-2006, 10:53 AM
I have two tanks right now. One 75gal, and the other one 20gal.

I'm planning to buy 6-12 1.5inch discus. If I put them in a 20gal tank and do a 100% water change once or twice a day would it be the same thing as if I put them in a 75gal tank and do 20-40gal water change? Which is more important, the percentage of water change or the gals of water being change?

It should be the percentage of water change, here we normally do 100% water change daily.

AADiscus
04-24-2006, 12:24 PM
That young of discus you need to do daily large wc's IMO (100% wc). I would do 50 in the morning and 50 at night if your schedule allows that. You will defiantly want filtration in your tank. Make sure you clean your filters regularly as well. Young discus at that size take alot of care. Make sure you do 4-5 feedings a day. Any tank you use you should do the right amt of wc's for that tank. A 20 gal would be easier to do large wc's but then that many discus in one tank is going to cause you problems real soon because it will be over stocked.