PDA

View Full Version : How hard are they really?

born2lovefish
04-25-2006, 03:13 PM
I have been keeping freshwater fish for quite a few years now. I had a stingray a while back, but had to sell him before I moved. I have tried discus before, but never was that into them. I have a 75 gallon tank that I need to put some fish in because I sold all my rainbows. I am just wondering how hard discus really are? So many people say you have to do BIG water changes all the time. Is that really needed? I have an eheim wet/dry along with a emp.400 bio wheel and big whisper hang on the back for filtration. My ph is on the high end of 7 and I think my water is somewhat hard. I know it has alot of calcium in it, because my filters get the build up on them. Would I be able to keep some discus in it with the water I have now? Also, would I really need to do water changes all the time? Would every other week be enough or maybe a smaller amount every week? I just need someone's advice before I go putting all the money into it. They say stingrays are hard to keep, but I thought mine was really easy to keep. I did water changes every week, only because it was plumbed into a 70 gallon drum at my old house, and things were fine. Would discus really be that hard?

White Worm
04-25-2006, 03:25 PM
For ultimate growth, health, size, breeding, shape, the answer would be yes. Is it absolutely neccessary for large daily w/c's, I dont think so, jmo. A week or two is too long. For good results, you could get away with 3 medium to large w/c's per week with no serious problems. Low quality water conditions lead to stress and sickness. The more clean water, the less chance or % you would have illness. When that happens....it becomes a chore and no fun at all.

born2lovefish
04-25-2006, 03:38 PM
Ok I understand that tanks do not get refreshed with water like a stream would in nature, but why 3 times a week. That just sounds crazy if you ask me. I just want to keep some discus for a while, and maybe just a few months. I am more into breeding angels, but I think I found a really good deal on some discus and would not mind gettting them. I would probably keep them till I could sell them or if they are doing fine, I might just keep them and see if they pair off. I'm getting really sick of all the normal freshwater fish. I want something that stands out when I look at my tank. When you say do a water change 3 times a week, are you saying like 10 gallons or 50%? I would have no problem changing 5-10 gallon every week. My filters keep my water crytal clear. What do you think?

White Worm
04-25-2006, 03:43 PM
Most would do w/c's around 30% or higher each time. This will keep the nitrates in check depending on stock of the tank. Some do more or less. You dont sound too serious about keeping discus since you said a couple of months or so and get rid of them or breed. These statements dont make alot of sense. Discus are different than most tropical freshwater fish and require a little more TLC and if you are not ready for the added care, you should maybe stick with others that dont require the additional time involved. There is no written rule, just advice to keep your discus happy and healthy. You need to have the knowlege and patience to begin keeping discus and understand that they are not quite the same as the other boring freshwater fish. Thats what makes it all worth the energy used to keep them. JMO

born2lovefish
04-25-2006, 04:12 PM
The reason I said maybe a few months is because I put a cheap bid on some, and it is looking like I might end up with them. This Firday I am getting another breeding pair of angels and some other young ones. Therefore, I will not have too much extra room for the discus. That is why I am wondering how hard it would be to keep them for a while. If I really get hooked on them, which I would not be surprised if I do, then I would sell the angels or move them to a different tank that is not suitable for the discus. Does that make sense? Also as I stated, at my old house I have a 70 gallon drum plumbed into my 75 gallon tank. The water had a power head in there and a heater and doing water changes were VERY simple. I moved and no longer have a extra sink and sub pump hole to plumb the water drum into the 75 gallon. If I did I would and doing water changes would be no prob. I guess I just want to know if I could keep them with just doing a water change every week. Sure they would not be the best for breeding, but that is not really what I am interested in at this time. Thanks.

MiamiDan
04-25-2006, 04:22 PM
I think you want to force an answer your way..., but IMHO the answer is NO. If you want a yes, think about it...can somebody get away with taking a shower only once a week...?...maybe, but it certainly leads to problems doesn't it?:D Discus will simply not thrive in conditions that are ok for most tropical fish. If you want further prove...just go to any local fish store with discus. They will do generic conditions for most tropical fish & you will find the discus in pretty bad shape...most LFS don't know how to take care of them. Dan

Alight
04-25-2006, 04:37 PM
MIksus said it very well. His estimate of water changes assumes a normal load of Discus in a tank, meaning you have no trouble finding them, and there are enough to keep the Discus happy, and not so many that the tank appears crowded visually.

You could do only one 50% water change a week, in a 75 if you had, say. three Discus. However, Discus do best in groups of 5 or more.

In simple terms, the number of water changes is related to the nitrate level in your tank. Under 10 ppm for best results. Can get away with 20 ppm, but may have problems.

Nitrates depend on the number of fish, how often you feed them, and water changes.

Angel fish also don't like high nitrates, but may appear to be healthy even when they are high.

Get a nitrate test kit, test where your water is now, and you'll figure out how many water changes you're going to have to do.

born2lovefish
04-25-2006, 04:45 PM
I do not want a forced answer my way. The reason I keep asking is it possible, is because I did 2 years of research on freshwater stingrays before I got mine. Everything I read said water changes all the time were a must. I did maybe a 25% one EVERY week and mine was fine. He was growing, had no pelvic bones showing, and was swimming around up and down the sides of the tank all the time. There are a lot of myths out there about keeping fish, as far as the requirements go. That is just my opinion though. I have kept a lot of different species of freshwater fish. Every time I find that what they say about them is not really true. They say you need this that and this to keep them. In my opinion, they found a way that worked for them and so that is what they recommend. Yes, discus will thrive with lots of water changes. I do realize that. Right now, I just would like to know if I kept them for a month of so, if all the water changes are needed. If you want to know why I would only be keeping them for a month, please read the last couple posts above this. Thanks.

sleonard
04-25-2006, 04:46 PM
I think the first thing to determine is whether or not born2love is getting adult discus. A large weekly WC would be OK for adults. Only younger discus that are still growing need the rigourous WC schedule.

B2LF, if you are getting younger fish then frequent WC are, in fact, a necessity but you would be able to reduce that a lot once they become adults.

born2lovefish
04-25-2006, 04:50 PM
I would be getting 8 discus from 1.5-4 inches. I believe they would be Red Turquoise Discus. Like I said, I put a cheap bid on them, and I might end up with them. Thanks.

White Worm
04-25-2006, 07:44 PM
Could you get away with once a week or once every other week is your question? If you mean keeping them alive for a while and putting them at possible risk for sickness? Sure you could. How would you know if things were working out as you said if you do not keep the best possible conditions? If you just "got bye" you could possibly run into sickness and get rid of them, therefore not knowing if you could really get into the discus hobby. I didnt give you any rules, just advice. If you really want to try your hand at the discus hobby, you will have to take the advice of those that have been where you are now. Those that have decided to go there own direction have ran into many problems and have come back to say they were wrong, some may have made it for a while until the discus finally couldnt stand the conditions and passed away. Some just never came back to report because they were too stubborn to admit they were wrong. Either way, you can take our advice and get an honest outcome or you could chance it your own way. It sounds like you may just need to do some more research about discus. Bidding on some off aquabid is your first mistake IMO. Been there, done that....again....listen to someone that has been where you are. Let someone outbid you and purchase from local breeder or proven company. You could get a better deal locally or at least great quality from sponsors here and still pay the same for shipping. You are setting yourself up for failure at this rate with the stock you are choosing at the attitude you have for taking care of them. Sorry if you think I am being rude but you have to understand the basics before you take these steps and I think that is ultimately what you are asking. You are just not getting it in writing. Again.....no rules, just advice. I started the same thought process as you and I am here to tell you that you dont have to do 100% daily w/c's but once a week or every other week will not work either. You will find a happy medium eventually and you will know what works for you but that comes from experience and starting with good stock and top conditions. With the discus you are getting, it is even more critical for health and growth at that stage.

azzndude2005
04-25-2006, 09:43 PM
If you get your discus over the mail, they will be stress out over the trip. Which mean more chance of getting disease. You should setup your tank before getting them. I'm about to get some too. Here's my setup, maybe it could help you.

I fill my 75gal tank with tap water and aged it for 3 weeks with air bubbles.
You can use prime if you don't have time

Day before I get my fish, I would turn on the tank heater to 87F and add 8 table spoon of salt for my 75gal. The regular salt (NaCl) no iodine(I2).

When I get my fish, i'm going to pour the bag of fish into a 2gal bucket, and add 1 cup of water from my tank into the bucket every 5 min for 30min. Next I net the fish out of the bucket and into the tank. Don't the water from the bag.

After a few days if the discus look good, I turn the temperature down to 80F.

As for the water change, people do a lot of it because they don't know what the water requirements are for discus. I admit, I don't know either. Water is cheap so it's just easier to do the water change. It's probably more work to figure out what's in the water and what's not and then trying to maintain that water condition. The plan is to do more water change so you don't have to worry about the requirements.

discus2010
04-25-2006, 09:51 PM
IMO: I have discus and have them in some low standard conditions for here . But they are growing... yes not as fast as ones with daily w/c's but i think its fast enough for me. My water schedule varies a lot because it depends on my schedule sometimes i will only give them once in an entire week but it will be huge! like 70% other times i do 5 times a week of any size. It mainly depends on the amount of time, and the amount of interest and where my thoughts r but thats besides the point.

Discus are very special fish. They need to be cared for yes and the BEST method is daily w/c's. I wouldn't recommend keeping discus like i do, for the well being of the fish. but i wanted them and being stubborn like myself i got them and their still alive. Their happy and I wish i wasn't as irresponsible to be able to take the BEST care for them but i try, and give it my best kinda averaged lol. I think the opinion of me will change because of this, but its only MHO

bennyblanco
04-25-2006, 10:03 PM
if you dont like what you hear dont get no discus.they know what they're talking about dude!!!

Timbo
04-26-2006, 07:45 AM
born2lovefish, if you're wanting to be born2lovediscus, listen to what Mikscus has advised.

you are getting some very valuable advice there and its provided to you to help you avoid future disappointment in the development of your discus. this advice is garnered through extensive experience with these fish by hundreds of successful hobbyists and he's right on the money.

discus require a commitment of time and resources that is much higher than most ornamental fish. if you are unable to meet that minimum commitment, i'd stick with other less demanding types, even for the short term.

Jarrod
04-26-2006, 09:05 AM
Very well said Tim!!...and Mike has given a excellent perspective on it! I may be a bit overboard on the wc issue but by the same token all of my fish are healthy and happy...I do a 50-90% wc daily on all my tanks...50% being the bare minimum...but that's just how I do things...as has been said before discus are not your typical tropical fish...they do require alot of work to keep..when one gets into discus I've found out that you have to WANT to be in it for the long haul...time comsuming, yes they are, but IMHO they are well worth the time and energy we tend to expend on their care and maintainence to keep them healthy
Jarrod

04-26-2006, 09:52 AM
Your discus will get sick and die eventually doing only 1 wc per week. If they are young then they will never grow properly, then they will get sick and die. I lost hundreds of dollars worth of discus the first 6 months I kept them and it was simply from lack of water quality, and that was doing 3 changes per week.If you want to give it a try and the money was no big deal you spent on the discus then go for it. It will be a disapointing experience!

tpl*co
04-26-2006, 11:10 AM
I guess I have to add to the "rain on your parade" too.

Sounds like you are getting them on impulse only? Because they are a bargain? Well, a lot of times what seems like a bargain isn't and discus aren't an impulse fish. (Bargain fish may be culls or have something wrong with them unless you really know what you are getting). You have to know what you are getting into and have everything ready before they arrive. For the sizes you stated they are less forgiving and will need to be fed 4-6 times a day and yes, daily water changes (I do about a 60-80% change on my grow out each day, with a 5x feeding). Also, you'll need higher temps for them too say, 86 degrees. Even the best fish from the best source will languish if their basic needs aren't met.

Of course, I was scared to dip my toe in the water from all the stories of how hard to keep discus were and was wondering the same thing as you. I had all the same types of fish (ending up with rainbows and congo tetras too before the discus) and was wondering how hard could it be? I decided to take the plunge and I got 3 discus at the LFS, and the rest is history, but I made sure to meet their needs first (I still have some of the original discus, and people comment on them when they see them, Sampson and Goliath). A lot was trial and error, and I did get some bum fish mail order before I knew what to look for and who to get from. I must also say that discus cured my buying whatever pretty fish catches my eye since I don't want to jeopardize my discus and they did fill that "empty spot something's missing" feeling in my tanks. The are also smart! Look into their eyes, these are not mindless, swimming, eating machines like rainbows or carps.

So, are they harder than other fish? Depends, they do take a little more time and effort, but if their needs are met, they can be just as tough and healthy as any other fish.

Tina

Alight
04-26-2006, 12:54 PM
OK, say you get them only for a month. Then you will REALLY have to do the daily water changes, unless you do some preparation NOW.

The reason is that your filter will not be able to handle the bioload you will be adding, and ammonia and nitrite will build up very quickly and kill your new fish. You will have to do at least 50% water changes DAILY to keep the fish alive for 1 month. After that, you could, conceivably back off on water changes and only do them when nitrates get to 20 ppm, if you don't mind slow growth and possible sickness. Depending on the stocking level, this could be every other day, or every 2 weeks.

You could head the cycling problem off, and do some fishless cycling of your filter NOW with clear ammonia, to get it ready for the additional bioload. However, since you will not know whether you will get these fish until very soon before they arrive, I'm guessing you won't do it. Your other option, in this case, is to find out if you have a local source of Biospira, and be ready to buy it if you get the fish. Use it as directed, and you can cut down (but not eliminate) the amount of your daily water changes.

As others have said, you have received the best advice from people who have tried and failed using other routines. You haven't received all the logic behind it, but it is available on this site if you use the "search" feature.

"If you don't like our free advice, you can have your money back"

(From a great tune about Car Talk by a bluegrass band called "Shady Grove")

White Worm
04-26-2006, 01:40 PM
IMO: I have discus and have them in some low standard conditions for here . But they are growing... yes not as fast as ones with daily w/c's but i think its fast enough for me. My water schedule varies a lot because it depends on my schedule sometimes i will only give them once in an entire week but it will be huge! like 70% other times i do 5 times a week of any size. It mainly depends on the amount of time, and the amount of interest and where my thoughts r but thats besides the point.

Discus are very special fish. They need to be cared for yes and the BEST method is daily w/c's. I wouldn't recommend keeping discus like i do, for the well being of the fish. but i wanted them and being stubborn like myself i got them and their still alive. Their happy and I wish i wasn't as irresponsible to be able to take the BEST care for them but i try, and give it my best kinda averaged lol. I think the opinion of me will change because of this, but its only MHO

I dont keep my discus exactly like most either. I just give optimum advice for someone starting out. I would not advize someone to keep 20 discus in an 85g tank but I do right now. I would not consider myself to be the expert but I have enough experience now to do it and watch closely for any problems and I keep their water and environment very clean. My discus eat like hogs, lay eggs in this community tank, are very active and have fantastic attitudes and colors. All signs of good health, no hiding, darkness, etc. I wont pass judgement on your w/c schedule but be careful because you are risking their health. Plus, as we said, stock density also depends on how often you change water. You may not see problems right now but you cant always see things developing until it is too late. I think once you get on a schedule for w/c's its pretty easy and you will not have to check your parameters too often. If you just change water whenever you remember or feel like it, you may run into spikes, Take care.

White Worm
04-26-2006, 01:48 PM
If you get your discus over the mail, they will be stress out over the trip. Which mean more chance of getting disease. You should setup your tank before getting them. I'm about to get some too. Here's my setup, maybe it could help you.

I fill my 75gal tank with tap water and aged it for 3 weeks with air bubbles.
You can use prime if you don't have time

Day before I get my fish, I would turn on the tank heater to 87F and add 8 table spoon of salt for my 75gal. The regular salt (NaCl) no iodine(I2).

When I get my fish, i'm going to pour the bag of fish into a 2gal bucket, and add 1 cup of water from my tank into the bucket every 5 min for 30min. Next I net the fish out of the bucket and into the tank. Don't the water from the bag.

After a few days if the discus look good, I turn the temperature down to 80F.

As for the water change, people do a lot of it because they don't know what the water requirements are for discus. I admit, I don't know either. Water is cheap so it's just easier to do the water change. It's probably more work to figure out what's in the water and what's not and then trying to maintain that water condition. The plan is to do more water change so you don't have to worry about the requirements.

My questions... where is your filtration and do you cycle your tank before adding new fish? Air bubbles do not cycle your tank. Some do the drip method but I think that is if you have drastically different water than the seller (PH). Most float bag in tank to equalize temp and then by hand, grab out of bag and into tank. Nets have the potential to do harm to discus, I always use bare hand when moving them. They seem to be more calm that way. Correct, no bag water in your clean tank. Heat is good as long as your bucket is the same temp and you could go 2 tbspns per 10g which would help with any possible nitrite. If you are getting some discus in the near future, you should also do some further research because prime does not age your water or prepare your tank for new arrivals. It removes or bonds with the impurities from tap water so it doesnt affect the fish while being consumed by your cycle (good bacteria). You will be putting your brand new discus through a new tank cycle which has a high possibility of 70 to 100% death if not most becoming very ill unless you religiously do large daily w/c's. Not a very good idea my friend. These fish are kinda pricey and I wouldnt risk it. JMO

JimmyB
04-26-2006, 02:39 PM
This has some holes in it, and I know that, and there are other factors, but it has always been good for illustrative purposes, and it motivates me, so play along.........

After 1 week, you have 7 days of waste (food, ammonia, nitrites, etc).
So you change 30%, and you still end up with about 5 days of waste left in your tank! Ooops!

After 2 weeks you have 5 + 7, so 12 days of waste;
So you change 30% and you are still left with about 8.5 days of waste in your tank! Ughh!

After 3 weeks, you have 7 days plus 8.5, so 15.5 days of waste.
So you change 30% and you are left with about 10.5 days of waste. Nasty!

After 4 weeks, you are left with 12.3 days of waste, after 5 weeks =13.5 days "after your water changes".

To summarize, after each week of "dedicated" 30% water changes, the tally goes 5, 12, 10.5, 12.3, 13.5. You get to the point where it stabilizes at about 15 days of waste, which might work for Goldfish, but won't cut it for Discus. And some people think that they are giving their fish a "fresh" experience after that 30% change. This might be a factor why some tropical fish will start to breed after a "massive water change", perhaps their owners don't realize they let things slip close to that plateau.

White Worm
04-26-2006, 03:05 PM
Definately some holes and not scientific. Doesnt really illustrate the cleanliness after a w/c. Depends alot on your process during a w/c. your cycle will remove waste products which leaves you with nitrates which is kept in check by w/c's. I vacuum all waste first, wipe sides, front, back and equipment, let settle and vacuum left overs. By this time, I have removed nearly 50%, I will empty to designated level or % and then refill (I will sometimes add 10-15g of clean water while draining). I would say that after one of my 60-70% w/c's, I am left with a pretty clean watery environment. Even a 30% w/c would not leave me close to 5 days of waste.

JimmyB
04-26-2006, 03:27 PM
Mikscus my friend and fellow discus keeper, you are not helping me here! :confused: I am trying to show the guy how nasty it would be if he only changes 30% water a week. Of course a person new to discus would not do the glass wipe down and the whole controlled anal-retentive procedure that a seasoned discus keeper would....that is why I prefaced my post with several "nudges" to get the discus 'experts' to realize that I was generalizing, and not to try to poke holes in my simple illustrative post. I already admitted it was "pokable" at the very beginning. You apparently missed the couple of little "hint-hints" that prefaced my post to try to pre-emptively stop any sticklers that might take away from the basic good intentions of the post. You missed the part that said "play along". The topic at hand here is "How hard are they, is it Really Necessary". I am leaning him towards understanding that "Yes, it is necessary to change water more than 30% a week." Your post then goes on to say my theory is wrong, but critiques it by outlining your procedure that is at least 50%-70%, but we are talking about once a week 30%.:confused: Let's concentrate on his thread, and why it is a bad idea....that is if you agree with that theory...

White Worm
04-26-2006, 07:55 PM
Mikscus my friend and fellow discus keeper, you are not helping me here! :confused: I am trying to show the guy how nasty it would be if he only changes 30% water a week. Of course a person new to discus would not do the glass wipe down and the whole controlled anal-retentive procedure that a seasoned discus keeper would....that is why I prefaced my post with several "nudges" to get the discus 'experts' to realize that I was generalizing, and not to try to poke holes in my simple illustrative post. I already admitted it was "pokable" at the very beginning. You apparently missed the couple of little "hint-hints" that prefaced my post to try to pre-emptively stop any sticklers that might take away from the basic good intentions of the post. You missed the part that said "play along". The topic at hand here is "How hard are they, is it Really Necessary". I am leaning him towards understanding that "Yes, it is necessary to change water more than 30% a week." Your post then goes on to say my theory is wrong, but critiques it by outlining your procedure that is at least 50%-70%, but we are talking about once a week 30%.:confused: Let's concentrate on his thread, and why it is a bad idea....that is if you agree with that theory...

Jimmy my friend, I am on your side but to play the game here does not correctly inform a beginner of accepted proper procedure. It also does not correctly portrait the nitrification proces and correctly display what happens during a w/c. This person may take your reasoning as logically true because they dont have the same level of knowledge and would know no better. I think we have sufficiently described what you would call "nasty". I understood the nudges and hints completely but a new person would not if they were not instructed the correct processes in the first place. I also understood and appreciate the general good intentions but the game here could lead to confusion and contradicting theories which lead this person again to think it is all myth and still have no idea who to beleive. I also referred to a 30% change of my own which would include the same procedure as a 50-70%. I think I have clearly expressed which theory I am in agreeance with. I dont believe I missed anything, it just didnt make sense to rant nonsense facts out to someone who is asking for legitimate reasoning behind our scheduled processes.

born2lovefish
04-26-2006, 09:30 PM
Thanks for all your help. I really got more than I asked for, but I am not complaining. I am always up for learning more abour fish. Yes, I understand I should not get into keeping discus unless I am ready and willing to give them the proper attention. Yes, I made a bid on some online, and I have held the bid all week. If someone outbids my top bid, I do not plan to go any higher. I moved last year and the place the discus are located just happen to be in the same town that I use to drive a hour to go to the pet store. I put cheap bid on them and I did not think I would get them. If I get them I was thinking about selling them again, because I could possibly make a little money, depending on gas prices by then, that could help pay for angel pair and other adult angels I am getting this weekend. I already made the bid so it is too late to tell me I should get them from a breeder. I actually have a breeder I think about 2.5 hours away. In life you live and learn, unless someone tells you before hand. Thanks for warning me about the high care demands of discus. If I deside in the future to go discus, I will make sure I have an water drum plumbed into my tank so I can do water changes in a flash and often. Thanks again for all those who replied.

azzndude2005
04-26-2006, 11:31 PM
My questions... where is your filtration and do you cycle your tank before adding new fish? Air bubbles do not cycle your tank. Some do the drip method but I think that is if you have drastically different water than the seller (PH). Most float bag in tank to equalize temp and then by hand, grab out of bag and into tank. Nets have the potential to do harm to discus, I always use bare hand when moving them. They seem to be more calm that way. Correct, no bag water in your clean tank. Heat is good as long as your bucket is the same temp and you could go 2 tbspns per 10g which would help with any possible nitrite. If you are getting some discus in the near future, you should also do some further research because prime does not age your water or prepare your tank for new arrivals. It removes or bonds with the impurities from tap water so it doesnt affect the fish while being consumed by your cycle (good bacteria). You will be putting your brand new discus through a new tank cycle which has a high possibility of 70 to 100% death if not most becoming very ill unless you religiously do large daily w/c's. Not a very good idea my friend. These fish are kinda pricey and I wouldnt risk it. JMO

No, my new tank isn't cycle. I made a wet dry filter with a 20 gal sump. It should kick in about a week or two. I'm going to do 25% water change a day, and 100% water change at the end of the week. The trick with the water change is right after the discus poop. I'm feeding my fish live food. White worms ,red wigglers and brine shrimps. I'm choosing live food so there will be less waste. People who feed them beef heart and other smash up food need to do more water change because the food material contiminate the water.

Yes I know nets have potential to harm the fish. It takes some slime off the fish, but I rather net it then use my hand. I've drop them before and it's not a good experience.

The prime is to remove chlorine and chloramine. Well, that's what the bottle say. I don't know the what the chemical formula is. Maybe you can tell me.

Alight
04-27-2006, 12:20 AM
azzndude, please check your ammonia and nitrite daily, and be ready to up your water changes if ammonia gets over 0.25 and/or nitrite is detectable.
In my experience, 50% water changes twice a day may be necessary at the height of the ammonia-nitrite cycle. When nitrites appear, add salt to your water after each water change.

This is the hard way to cycle a tank but it will work and you can avoid having your fish get ick and columnaris (really common way the fish get sick and die) or worse, the gasping quick death.

The other option is to get and add some Biospira when ammonia and nitrites appear.

tpl*co
04-27-2006, 10:55 AM
I put cheap bid on them and I did not think I would get them. If I get them I was thinking about selling them again, because I could possibly make a little money, depending on gas prices by then, that could help pay for angel pair and other adult angels I am getting this weekend.

Remember, you'd be losing money if they died or you'd be stuck with them if they're culls, or sink more money into them if they're sick! Even growing them out takes a lot of attention and you'd have to factor that into the cost and how much profit you'd actually be making or plan to make. (don't count your chickens...) Plus the added cost of high quality food and that they won't be growing that much in one month. (most LFS only offer you 1/2 or less what they'll sell the fish for, and again they have to be sellable). I'd just save that money and use it on those angels you really have your heart set on.

Tina

RickMay1
04-27-2006, 12:50 PM
IMO, it depends on how you want to keep them. Are you going to have a discus tank with the conditions that discus want and tried and proven methods of keeping Discus? Or are you going to just put them in a tank that you have and just need fish in it. When kept in the proper conditions, and given proper care Discus are easy. When they aren’t kept in the conditions they like they are very difficult and you’ll spend weeks slowly watching them die.

Discuses aren’t like other fish you do need to do more than just keep them wet. They require clean water, and lots of it. The only way to keep the water clean is to do lots of water changes. I’ve tried lots of different filtering systems and nothing compares to changing the water. I’ve even tried to setup huge holding tanks and circulate the extra water through the tank and the only thing that did is slow down the frequency of water changes. Now before you jump on this as the solution, I was using a 220g holding tank for a 75g tank with 6 fish.

Just decide, Do you want to do water changes? If you do then try discus, If you don’t then don’t try discus.

born2lovefish
04-27-2006, 01:36 PM
Yes, it would be better to save the money, but I already put the bid on them. Sometimes you live and learn. I was also thinking about talking to my Local freshwater store. I have gotten to know the manager in there, and they might take them. They have a big tank for discus. I find out tonight more details. Thanks all.

Martin
04-27-2006, 02:42 PM
What is your problem.. water changes are fun and relaxing :)

tpl*co
04-27-2006, 03:01 PM
What is your problem.. water changes are fun and relaxing :)

LOL, unless you have the power go off in the middle of one (like I did), or a significant other who thinks you spend too much time doing your daily water changes ;).

Tina

yeomans
04-27-2006, 03:03 PM
Water changes and discus go hand in hand, I often find that people say that discus are a difficult fish to keep, but this factor all depends on experiance. A new hobbyist who just started a 5 gallon comunity tank would find the water changing schedule of discus very hard to keep up with. But as in any asspect of fish keeping water changes are needed, but it so happens that discus need water changes all of the time, I myself to 3 daily changes. The purpose of this forum is for other hobbists to help each other out, some one who is new to the hobby or thinking about starting to keep discus could benifit from the advice of others who have been there before, it ultimatley saves you from learning the hard way, which is very expensive in this hobby.

best of luck, just keep asking as many questions as possible, someone on this forum has already been through it. josh

White Worm
04-27-2006, 03:16 PM
I believe aquabid has a place where you can remove your bid or is that just ebay? Look into it. Whats the worse that could happen? You tell the guy you dont want them and take a negative feedback? Better than ending up with culls that you are not quite ready for.

born2lovefish
04-27-2006, 03:19 PM
I am not worried about the quality of the discus. He is selling them to go saltwater. No I do not think I can take my bid off. I get kicked off aquabid forever if I do not pay. Oh well I am not too worried. Like I said, there are plenty of pet stores that I know of that sell discus and would probably be happy for them. Thanks to all.

White Worm
04-27-2006, 03:34 PM
Theres plenty of ways around aquabid and never going back isnt such a bad thing. I never would again. The Red Turqs you are bidding on....some look alright and at $4.50 a fish, you could get lucky with a few good quality and then if you pick them up, you dont have to pay the $60-$80 for shipping. There is only a few good discus sellers on aquabid but you could go straight to them and get a better deal once they know you.

born2lovefish
04-27-2006, 09:13 PM
Oh well I bid on them now. Besides, it gives me a reason to go to my favorite pet store around there. I been looking for an excuse and it looks like I found one. Thanks to all.

tpl*co
04-28-2006, 10:41 AM
Good luck to you! You did the right thing in asking about their proper care. :). Who knows if you get them you might decide to keep them and then join our happy water changing club :). Other than keeping the water quality up and feeding good quality foods they aren't that bad to maintain healthy stock. :). And having a tank full of healthy discus is a joy to behold (and having people ohhh and ahhh over them asking if they're salt water fish doesn't hurt either :)).

Tina

born2lovefish
04-28-2006, 01:07 PM
Thanks to all. I did not get them, and I am somewhat happy. I am getting a pair of angels tonight along with 3 adult angels, and I would have been sort on room. I guess one reason why I thought you can get by without doing a ton of water changes is because my dad's old boss had a tank with a big group of them in it. He had a guy come in and set it all up with live plants and monitors and crap. This was in a manufacturing company too. It looked sweet in his office. He had a water tank in the basement that had RO water in it, which he did water changes here and there. I personally would rather look at a sweet planted tank with discus and a big group or cardinals in it, than look at a nice saltwater tank. There is just something about the colors that catch my eye. Thanks again to all the comments. Maybe after high school and college I will be able to get the proper set up to keep them in. Thanks again.

White Worm
04-28-2006, 01:40 PM
Anybody else feel like they were talking to an adult? You are in what grade? How old are you? With your level of knowledge this early in life, you should do fine in the future when you get older. Do your research and when you are ready to keep discus, choose great stock (research at least 4-5 sellers and get feedback from buyers from each source) Here on simply, we PM (private message so we dont hurt feelings) Ask around and you will quickly find out who has quality fish and who doesnt. Also, do a search here on your city and see how many local breeders you can find (it might take you some time but be patient) Better to pick in person and then you can see how a breeder takes care of his fish compared to some crappy LFS. Dont just bid on aqua bid. You can usually find a much better deal and quality than what is being sold there. Consider shipping costs also because even though the price is ok, shipping can get pretty pricey. Once you have decided on stock (including strain choices) Consider what your main purpose is for having them (breeding, resale or just keeps) This will determine your specific route to optimum environment. As you know now, discus require more attention than most tropical fish but when you get the hang of it, it is so much more enjoyable and fullfilling than any other fish or even saltwater (JMO). There is nothing like a tank full of healthy happy discus that come over excited when they see you like a pet and then eat from your hand and let you actually hold them or pet them. Great hobby when you do it the right way. Set up your tanks according to plans (bare bottom is usually best to start with) 1 discus per 10g is preferred until you gain some experience with them. You dont want to overcrowd. Make sure you know all water parameters and keep their water and environment clean. Someone already pointed out that these are not just mindlesss swimmers and eating machines. Look at them closely and you will understand. They are a very intelligent creatures and then add in the numerous colors they come in, perfect. Of course, stay on simply and you will eventually know everything you would ever need to be a discus nut like the rest of us!

born2lovefish
04-28-2006, 01:56 PM
Hey thanks for the info. I am 17 years old. A older guy my family knows, gave my older brother a goldfish bowl when he was little. That got my brother and dad into fish. It was something they could do together. my brother is 9 years older than me. When he went off to Purdue University I took care of his 29 gallon tank. I was between 9-10 at that time. My parents bought me my cousins 10 gallon for Christmas when I was ten. That was my first tank of my own. I still am keeping my brothers tank going, due to the fact that he got married and is getting his Dr. Degree. He is probably moving to Tx to do his post doct so it looks like I will have the tank a bit longer. The last few years my dad has been busy with work, so has no time for his 75 gallon tank. He gave that to me and I have that going too. He made a beautiful all oak stand for it when I was little, which is why I will never sell it. I helped him, that that makes it priceless to me. I was going to get another stingray, but decided I am going to try breeding angels for a while. I have 3 2.5 gallons, a 75, a 29, and I am planning on getting two ten gallons for fry. I have a 20 up at my aunt's place in storage, but my dad thinks I have enough tanks. I disagree however. I say the more tanks, the more education! Thanks to all who replied.