PDA

View Full Version : Guppies with Discus???

tiara1018
05-02-2006, 09:25 PM
Hey Everyone!!
I have 6 guppies and was wondering if they could go in with my discus? I am mostly concerned about the high temps. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience on this mix? Thanks so much in advance!!!

Tiara

wolfbane
05-02-2006, 10:02 PM
I had some guppy fry in with my discus for a while. They werre supposed to be live food, but the discus weren't interested. They lived well and got big on BH mix! I removed them when they got big enough to catch easily.

traco
05-02-2006, 11:06 PM
I've got guppies in my discus tank. They survived high temps and Quick Cure in there. Of course, any fry disappears. I have no idea where?!;)

daverich
05-02-2006, 11:59 PM
I have guppies with mine also. They provide intertainment for the dicus when they spawn. So far no problems with the gups. temp 86 David

Ed13
05-03-2006, 04:43 PM
Guppys can take discus temps however quarantine is very important when mixing the two since most livebearers(dependig on the farm or the quality used by the breeder) are full of parasites mostly worms and flukes.
I do like the look of them together!
I deal with a lot of guppys direct from Miami or Asia and usually if you don't add salt and formalin as soon as they arrive they will start going down really fast.

tiara1018
05-03-2006, 04:53 PM
Guppys can take discus temps however quarantine is very important when mixing the two since most livebearers(dependig on the farm or the quality used by the breeder) are full of parasites mostly worms and flukes.
I do like the look of them together!
I deal with a lot of guppys direct from Miami or Asia and usually if you don't add salt and formalin as soon as they arrive they will start going down really fast.

I have had my guppies for about....probably 3 months....They arevery healthy and have had quite a few babies. I would know by now if they had parasites, worms, or flukes right???

Tiara

Ann
05-06-2006, 11:26 PM
As long as you do not mind a few going missing they should be fine. When the lights go out my bigger discus would try and catch them. Sometimes they succeed but thems are the breaks with discus.

AmazonRainbows
05-07-2006, 07:35 AM
I use to have guppy and platty with my Discus. I was using them to bring live food to my Discus when they spawn. They are OK with the temp as long as it is not over 86F. They never look to be stressfull or anoying to my Discus. Discus realy love Platty fry they goes crazy on them. I remember having a RT not eathing for many weeks because of hexamita but never miss a platty fry! I stop keeping them because the adult where eating to much blood worm and once I found a male whit is stomac overfeed and blood was comming out. Didn't whant to cut food on Discus so I give the guppy.

JeffreyRichard
05-09-2006, 10:30 AM
Guppies aren't a real good hi-heat/low hardness fish. Yes, they can survive in Discus conditions, but they probably won't do well in the long-term.

The same argument applies to guppies as it does to discus ... why keepin less than optimum conditions? People are thinking that they are only $2.00 fish, so who cares ... but consider the $50 -$100 trios from world famous breeders. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't mix these species ...

crash
05-24-2006, 09:05 AM
The only problem i see is they are way too active.
I know that they used to stress the hell out of my Bolivian rams, I remember the rams being completly white and the day I moved the guppies the rams came back to normal color.