PDA

View Full Version : To feed or not to feed?

RobMc
05-03-2006, 01:13 PM
:confused:
I have to be out of town for 4 days next week. My juvies are eating well enough, but can I fast them safely for that long? The alternative is an automatic feeder and a friend who might be available for a water change after 2 days. Opinions?

Rob

bennyblanco
05-03-2006, 02:13 PM
auto feeder and a friend to do the w/c's that sounds like a good idea.do your discus it flakes if the do get a auto feeder.:D

Carol_Roberts
05-03-2006, 04:11 PM
Feed small amount once or twice per day with auto feeder.
Set up and test several days in advance to make sure correct amount is dispensed.

AADiscus
05-03-2006, 07:44 PM
How big are they?

RobMc
05-04-2006, 10:00 AM
They are 3-3 1/2". They eat heartily 3 or 4 times per day with daily water changes. I will go with your recommendation Carol. Two small feedings should leave them hungry, but no chance of left-over food.

AADiscus
05-04-2006, 03:09 PM
I think they will be alright with an autofeeder. :)

poconogal
05-10-2006, 08:09 AM
I too am interested in an auto feeder since I will be going away this summer for a week. Can anybody tell me what happens when the feeder drops the food and your filter is running? I have an Aqua Clear 500 on a 45 gal. tank. I usually shut the filter off for a few minutes while feeding so that food isn't flying all around the tank and making a mess. Won't that happen with a feeder? Is there a way around this? I don't want to come home and find my tank fouled and sick fish. Also, I have a full hood with an extra cut out on the back. Is this where the feeder can be placed? (I've read that people install them on their covers). Thanks for the help!

danoinalaska
05-10-2006, 09:23 AM
Poconogal,
Yes, the auto-feeder will sit over the open slot on your hood. As for the filter, you can buy an inexpensive prefilter to place over the intake. That way the filter is left running and most (except for the smallest pieces) will attach to the outside of the prefilter where your fish can pick it clean.
Hope this helps,
Dan

poconogal
05-10-2006, 09:34 AM
Dan, thanks a lot! It does help. I already have a pre-filter on the filter intake so that's great. I think I can just set the Aqua Clear to run on the slow flow setting so that there's less current. Any recommendations on which auto feeder or features to look for?
Connie

danoinalaska
05-10-2006, 09:43 AM
Connie,
I use the Eheim model 3581 auto feeder. "Electronic feeder allows up to four feedings per day. Three feeding modes: single portion, double portion, double portion with a 1 minute interval, or manual override." It has proven very reliable and I like the versitility it offers. Not a plug for Eheim,, just the model I choose. I would imagine others will work just as well.
Dan

RyanH
05-10-2006, 10:07 AM
I was out west for almost two weeks and just got back on Monday. I didn't feed my adults at all while I was gone. Nor was their water changed.

I had autofeeders set up on my juvenile tanks to feed once per day. I had a friend come and change their water twice while I was gone.

All of my fish were fantastic when I came home. I had absolutely no problems. In fact, I think it's good for their digestive system to give them a rest from eating from time to time. I also think it's better for Discus to have clean water than tons of food.

Now, as far as growth rates go, I can't yet say what the affects will be on the young fish. I do know that I have a tank of 7" fish that were left alone for the same length of time last year when they were still small. It didn't seem to stunt them at all in the long run.

hth:)
-Ryan

danoinalaska
05-10-2006, 10:14 AM
I agree with Ryan, I think a lot of us overlook the benefit of an occasional fasting period for our fish. It does allow for the digestive system to "clean out", which in the long run will lead to a healtier immune system. Thanks Ryan, good point!
Dan

poconogal
05-10-2006, 10:57 AM
Thanks again, Dan. Big help. At least I won't have to worry about my Blue Diamond eating my Cardinals. I've caught him stalking one a few times in the past - lucky thing the little fish are alert - :fish:
Connie

danoinalaska
05-10-2006, 12:14 PM
My pleasure, Connie!
Everyone should enjoy their time away and not have to worry about what's happening in the tank at home.
Dan