PDA

View Full Version : Are they Pairing Up....or No?

Kindredspirit
05-03-2006, 07:36 PM
Okay guys....

This is probably a really dumb question ~ but... I have weathered worse....Is this what is called pairing up?

These two discus are constantly like this ~ in this position ~ or closer ~ and the one on the right I believe gets this like shadow over him...at least it seems that way! They are the smallest in the tank as well ~

When they 'pair up' they have to be like...moving? lol! Cuz this is all these guys do ~ pretty much 24/7~

They eat well and everyone in this tank is pretty much on hostile ground ~ esp during feeding time and today I almost didnt wanna feed them as it gets pretty brutal as of late ~

Some of you know that they have turned into 'teens' ...but now they seem to be in little gangs too! I have 6 in this tank and there all divide into three groups and only those two will fight and yet they all stay with that discus ~ I can tell when they have something to say to the other ~ it is a trip!
So....pairing up or no?? I don't suppose anyone has a picture of discus cruisin around together? I'm thinkin ...no...lol! Thanks!!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_16.gif

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f389/MidnightKiss4u/IMG_7982.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f389/MidnightKiss4u/IMG_7974.jpg

traco
05-03-2006, 08:17 PM
That is so cute the two of them together. I have no answer to your question but someone else should have an answer for ya.

Just tried calling you but no answer!:(

Kindredspirit
05-03-2006, 08:41 PM
YOU DID? Barb I am goin in my car now to get Amber.. my cell kinda lives in there ~ in my car!!

Did I ever tell you that?? LOL! I hope it is charged!!

M~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_2_20.gif

tpl*co
05-03-2006, 08:50 PM
I'd say more of an alliance than a pair bond, especially since they're so young. :).

Tina

Kenny's Discus
05-03-2006, 08:59 PM
I agree with Tina. Seems a bit too young to be pairing up. How big are those 2 in the pictures?

Kenny

Kindredspirit
05-03-2006, 11:26 PM
I'd say more of an alliance than a pair bond, especially since they're so young. :).

Tina

They are almost a year.....The Snowflake is about 4" and Marc's is like 4"1/2...the others in the tank are coming up on a year soon too but are much bigger ~ Hell Candy knows.. she was here ~ I am so not good at measuring!

Do you still think they are too young?

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

Kenny's Discus
05-04-2006, 12:05 AM
Marie - in that case no...they could well be pairing up at that age(some even sooner). Have you seen the courting behavior? Mike(mikscus) even drew a picture describing the action you should be looking for in an earlier post. Take a look Marie...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=50197

See if that's what you're seeing from your pair...

Kenny

Or they'll be swimming(up) towards each other like this:

Kenny's Discus
05-04-2006, 12:12 AM
and then coming down like this...

Kenny's Discus
05-04-2006, 12:16 AM
We call that "The Dance". Are you seeing any of it now Marie?

traco
05-04-2006, 12:16 AM
Kenny, that sure is a nice pair you've got. And thanks for the pics to illustrate to us rookies what a pair does before spawning.

I also like the drawing Mikscus did!:)

Kenny's Discus
05-04-2006, 12:22 AM
Hey Barb ain't nobody's no rookies here...or we're all rookies in a way. :-)
I'm glad I can find those old pics for illustration purposes.

Take care friends,
Kenny

candyl70
05-04-2006, 12:44 AM
Kenny!!! That PB pair is amazing!!! I love them... I might have to sneak down there and grab em ;)

Marie... that sounds about right... 4"

Kindredspirit
05-04-2006, 01:55 AM
Marie - in that case no...they could well be pairing up at that age(some even sooner). Have you seen the courting behavior? Mike(mikscus) even drew a picture describing the action you should be looking for in an earlier post. Take a look Marie...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=50197

See if that's what you're seeing from your pair...

Kenny

Or they'll be swimming(up) towards each other like this:

YES!! They are doing that Kenny!! Omg!! exactly.....wow....this is horrible~ Your pictures are perfect!

All of them are doing that but only ...they all have picked someone and are in three groups ...two in each.......it is the Tang and the Snowflake....Ms. P and Sapphire the bss ...and Marcs and ..*******...his BROTHER!! oh dear....

It is always that way...wow....but they fight a lot!! but one pair at one end ~ one pair at the other ~ and one in the middle...they always always have these same spots...and they never switch fish...or partners....am I making any sense??

You dont think ....all three sets are ... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_12_1.gif Oh Hell No...Kenny...no...that is just not possible....

But those pics are perfect!! Lion Tigers and Bears OH MY.....

I am going to bed now~

Marie ~ :p

Kenny's Discus
05-04-2006, 02:06 AM
candy - many thanks...those were old pics and the pair are no longer with us anymore...(long story)

Marie - you just won the discus lottery...you got 3 pairs out of 6 fishes! If I were you I would order 3 29g tanks ready just in case...LOL

You have pairs forming in your community tank my friend! This is now where the fun begins...

Good Night and good luck Marie.

Kenny

White Worm
05-04-2006, 02:18 AM
How funny is that?

Kenny's Discus
05-04-2006, 02:22 AM
Mike winning the discus lottery is a lot of fun IMO.

:-)

Kenny

candyl70
05-04-2006, 03:11 AM
OMG Marie!!! LMAO..... you didn't want one pair, but ya got three!!! What are ya going to do with them woman?! woweeee... fun or what?!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_23.gif

Kindredspirit
05-04-2006, 08:09 AM
How funny is that?

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_2_34.gif

AmberC
05-04-2006, 08:51 AM
LOL Marie! How crazy is that! It would explain all the aggression too. They are all trying to protect their territory lol. You should do some video for us of them! I'd like to see (esp now that I can! LOL)

Amber

traco
05-04-2006, 10:06 AM
Marie, did your stomach clench and drop when you read that you have 3 pairs?!!:o

marilyn1998
05-04-2006, 10:12 AM
:o :o You're gonna have BABIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!get those tanks set up. It doesnt take long once they dance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh Gawds Marie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think the best thing for all involved is more tanks. Better start moving fish around now to get the most out of what you have.

I think I am gonna go take a nap too!!! And to think they spawn a few times a month.....:o

tpl*co
05-04-2006, 11:26 AM
Which means - Going to the auction this Saturday to buy breeding tanks! LOL! Just kidding!

It's funny to watch pairing rituals since it's almost like watching people. I've got 3 fish from Kenny before and another Snow Leopard that I just got from Kenny about a couple of months ago. Well, the first 3 fish were a Cobra male, a Cobra female and a Ocean Green female. Kenny paired up the two Cobras together but the male really likes the OG female. When I put them in my tank, sure enough the male went for the OG female and jilted the cobra female. the cobra female was really mad and hurt about this and would always try to win back the male but they would chase her off. Well after quarantine I put in this other fish which we didn't know if it was a boy or girl. Well, it is probably a boy since it seems to want to pair off with the cobra female and they are defending one corner of the tank and fighting off the other pair.

But here's the funny part. When the snow leopard isn't looking she still goes over the the Cobra male to see what her chances are, kinda like "See, this other fish finds me attractive, do you like me better now?...". When he chases her off, she goes back to the Snow leopard who then goes to defend her! LOL. She still hasn't laid eggs for the leopard yet either from what I can tell, she's still kinda playing the field since her first pick won't leave the OG! It's so funny watching her display for the snow leopard and leading him on, he's cleaning off the cone and she's keeping an eye and also displaying for the other male too! (of course the OG then wants to kick her tail too! LOL).

Tina

traco
05-04-2006, 11:30 AM
Good one, Tina!! Get her to the auction and maybe she will win a tank or something!

bennyblanco
05-04-2006, 11:32 AM
know that is something 3 pairs if you need helpp let me know i go and pick them up!!!

Kindredspirit
05-04-2006, 12:47 PM
okay okay ~ letz just keep our feet on the ground here ladies!! LOL!! I just turned the light on in that tank and I'll be if everyone has their perspective partner....just wonderful....

I wonder tho....three pairs?? In one tank?? Gimme a break...how common is that? Some do not even get one pair...

Okay....questions:

1 ~ if they are pairing up ~ why are so mean to each other then?

2 ~ I see no tubes coming down from the bottom areas....so....?

3 ~ I don't really have a number three....lol!!

But right now they are all in there spots ~ same ones ~ and doing this Body Salsa! wow~

What am I going to do? This tank is a trip you have to see it to believe it guys! Angela....where are you?? lol!! A video is a good idea Amber~

Thanks everyone ~ I think....

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/12/12_4_18.gif ( sushi anyone?)

White Worm
05-04-2006, 12:58 PM
Even with pairs. there is some aggression. I think it comes from who really wants to be in charge. Then they get a little irritated if one isnt doing it right or fast enough. When they are making runs, they cant wait to get in there and do their part. Mine will even fight over who gets to watch the eggs. My cobalt male wont let the female near the eggs after she lays them. I guess he is the dad and thats final, lol. You wont see tubes until they are just about to lay eggs. They will dance for a couple days and then make some dry runs for a day or so and then the real thing and thats when you will really get to see the tubes. Its not an exact science as far as my timeline but I am just going off of what mine have done. Dont worry, leave them be and they will start practicing and then you can decide if you want to seperate them and try breeding. If not, just remove eggs.

Ryan
05-04-2006, 01:52 PM
Only Marie could put 6 random fish into a tank and end up with 3 pairs. Maybe you'll get lucky and a couple of them will be female/female pairs. This at least keeps the possibility of hundreds of fry to a minimum.

Ryan

candyl70
05-04-2006, 02:37 PM
Only Marie could put 6 random fish into a tank and end up with 3 pairs.

LMAO Ryan!!! How true!

pcsb23
05-04-2006, 02:58 PM
I see the "I'm not gonna breed em ~ nope ~ not me ~ no how!!" Marie has got her hands (well her tanks!) full!

As Ryan said, can only happen to you! So that will be 3 new 29's then and then you'll need 3 55's for grow outs! So where are all these new tanks going???

:D:D:D

Alight
05-04-2006, 03:37 PM
Hey, Marie, another tell tale sign is the "shivering" move that the female makes more often than the male. Pretty obvious.

To figure out who is who, like I said before, get some upside down flower pots in the tank, and watch what happens. The cleaning should be very obvious, and if they start to shimmy up with their bottom sides skimming the pot, look for the breeding tubes. You may catch them actually spawning so you'll really know the male from the female. At any rate within a week or so (maybe much sooner) of them making passes on the pot, look for eggs on the pot.

It's entirely possible to have 3 pairs. I had exactly three pairs with the first 6 discus I ever owned. Took 1.5 years for them all to lay eggs, though. And sometimes two, and once even three of the females got together and all laid eggs at once together on the same pot. What a mess!

Al

Kenny's Discus
05-04-2006, 03:48 PM
Tina - I got the picture of your tank situation. It's quite interesting to watch their mating behavior...thanks for sharing that with us.

I'm literally laughing out while reading this post of Marie's(not at you of course Marie)...very funny how she didn't want to breed discus(thanks Paul for the reminder) and end up with 3 possible pairs... LOL

*******!!! (is it spelled this way?)

:-0

Have fun!
Kenny

candyl70
05-04-2006, 04:56 PM
LMAO!!! Poor Marie!!!!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_6.gif

Ya gonna kill me for that one woman?!!

pcsb23
05-04-2006, 05:31 PM
I'm literally laughing out while reading this post of Marie's(not at you of course Marie)...very funny how she didn't want to breed discus(thanks Paul for the reminder) and end up with 3 possible pairs... LOL

Have fun!
Kenny

Thats what is called destiny I think! *******!!! :D

Kindredspirit
05-04-2006, 11:28 PM
I see the "I'm not gonna breed em ~ nope ~ not me ~ no how!!" Marie has got her hands (well her tanks!) full!

As Ryan said, can only happen to you! So that will be 3 new 29's then and then you'll need 3 55's for grow outs! So where are all these new tanks going???

:D:D:D

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_29_102.gif

traco
05-04-2006, 11:43 PM
Kay, that was a perfect smilie you picked, Marie.:) Made me smile.

Kindredspirit
05-05-2006, 12:25 AM
Tina - I got the picture of your tank situation. It's quite interesting to watch their mating behavior...thanks for sharing that with us.

Have fun!
Kenny

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_12_22.gif

Kindredspirit
05-05-2006, 01:36 AM
I adore you guys really ~ I will be back ~ with pics... Kacey I am going to get a clay pot like you said... shld I get three of them? or just one? One for each group?? omg ~ thank you Kacey for your help!!

I am convinced tho unless these discus have a bad case of flukes or fleas or epileptic ....they are doing that body salsa!

Thanks guys ~

Paul I owe you....and Kenny...lol!!!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

AADiscus
05-05-2006, 10:35 AM
Marie that is so cool you are getting some spunky fish :) ! I told you a few months back you better start building that fish room!!!!!:D Why don't you get a 29gal setup and put two that you think are pairing up in there and see what they do? If they are fighting with each other, it could be a female chasing another female away from HER area of the tank that she wants to spawn in. (vice versa with males) There tubes will not come fully out until the day she is going to spawn.

Kindredspirit
05-05-2006, 11:45 AM
You made it Woman! Look at this Angela ~ this is how these guys live on a daily basis in these same spots and they sleep like that too! They mix up to eat and the real battles happen but they always go back to this pic! ~ never any switching ~groups of two ~ You still think they are pairing up?

Angela what if I move them to another tank and they get all stressed and sick? I have never ever had any problems with these fish since I have had them in almost a year!

Look ....

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f389/MidnightKiss4u/IMG_9599Small2.jpg

AmberC
05-05-2006, 11:57 AM
lol Marie! Well.. at least you dont have any empty space in there huh!

The "salsa" you guys are talking about.. I call it the spawn shake lol.
If you get the pots.. be sure to soak them really well before you put them in the tank!

Amber

bennyblanco
05-05-2006, 12:05 PM
good luck marie i hope you have fun!!!!:D :D

Kindredspirit
05-05-2006, 01:02 PM
good luck marie i hope you have fun!!!!:D :D

Fun? No smiles for you Benny! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_2_37.gif

If you get the pots.. be sure to soak them really well before you put them in the tank!

Oh.. okay I didn't know that! Thanks~

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_2_20.gif

Spices
05-05-2006, 01:33 PM
:D Better U than me!! :D

You're going to have a ball keeping up with the pairs and maintenance of several tanks, once you get the pairs into their own "salsa-room". :D

Good luck, Marie! :sun:
*Angie*

marilyn1998
05-05-2006, 01:48 PM
Ummm, sis???

In that pic ALL 3 pairs are exhibiting the mating dance. You are gonna have some pretty babies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder if all 3 pairs spawn at the same time if the babies have a better chance of growing up??

Kindredspirit
05-05-2006, 02:13 PM
you guys are killin me here http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_6_25.gif

Alight
05-05-2006, 03:17 PM

Amber

Do what amber says. Sometimes pots are sprayed with an antibacterial algecideal compound to keep them looking nice on the shelves. The clay pots are made of a porous substance, so some of this stuff can stick in the pots for a long time, and leach out into your tank. This stuff can reduce or kill off your biofilter. I've actually had this happen, at least twice (the second time was my fault, because I forgot about the first time!).

So, what you should do is to rinse the pots very well, then put them in a bucket of very hot water, with a couple of tablespoons of baking soda in, it, then let them soak for a week or so, changing the water (use very hot water each time) every couple of days or so.

I know some have had no problems with clay pots, but why take a chance?

Good luck,

Al

White Worm
05-05-2006, 04:01 PM
Red bricks from lowes, rinse under water for a few minutes and put em in the tank. You should put at least 2 breeding surfaces in the tank to see who is interested. You dont want them fighting over the breeding area. Since you have 3 possible pairs that love their own area, I would give each couple their own breeding brick to start with.

AADiscus
05-05-2006, 05:18 PM
You know it is Cinco De Mayo today. They may do the "Salsa dance" and spawn if you turn some Latin music on for them! lol :D (put a big hat on top of the tank)

I wouldn't move any of them until you get a tank setup and cycled for them. It you already have a cycled sponge to put in it would be great. Your fish shouldn't get stressed or sick when you move them. Also, check your water parameters because you will need to make sure you have soft enough water for the male to fertilize the eggs.

I can go ahead and put a clay pot (rinse like already mentioned) in there and see what they do. You really don't need it IMO. They will spawn on anything. Glass, heater, in take tubes, leaves, etc. When they want to spawn they will find a place and get down to business.

ps.....your tank looks good and really bright.

bennyblanco
05-05-2006, 07:08 PM
THANKS ALOT Marie FOR THE HELP!!! GOOD LUCK LMAO!!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_42.gif

Green Country Discus
05-05-2006, 07:52 PM
Marie, I expect to see you posting in the breeder section soon :D . Your fish and tank look great!! Angela took some pics earlier tonight and got this Red Melon female in a full salsa pass ;) . What a shame that you take such great care of your Discus, that is what you get LOL......:p . Keep smiling...

Kindredspirit
05-05-2006, 08:39 PM
Hey Andrew ~ Boy I'm feeling special! I got the MAN himself! I am honored to say the least ~

That picture is great! I can not tell you how many times the Snakeskin and Ms. P have looked just like that! The two from Marc really just stick together and fight ~ but the Tang and Snowflake do the 'dance' as well ~ So Andrew...this means that I have been taking good care of them? How cool is that? They have never been sick or any issues in this tank ever ~ three I got from Cary and one from the lfs and then two from Marc...

Thanks Andrew! ( the breeder section....lol!)

Angela ~ how bout some tequila too!! It is funny they all mix up during the wc I just did and I watch them all go right back to the same spot with the same partner~never thought this would happen to me ~ thanks for the compliment! I got the brick ( thanks Mike ) and the Pot Kacey! But they are unsightly.....so I shall wait and see~

Marilyn ~ Angie ~ Thanks girls!! This tank is so entertaining to watch...Fighting one min and dancing the next ~ I wanna know who is the male and female after all this time!!

Benny ~ ya got them working!! Good for you!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_14_50.gif

AADiscus
05-07-2006, 11:30 AM
Have you put the brick in there yet? I can't wait to see if you get a spawn!! ;)

ps....some tequila would be great! How about a apple martini?:p

Kindredspirit
05-08-2006, 08:21 AM
Hey Angela ~

I have not put in the brick yet cuz I added background and more plants and 6 rams ~ they have probably lost all desire? lol! They are happy now but they were not yesterday!!

The rams took over the right corner where the bbs and Ms. P were so they were particulary annoyed!

Wonder what will happen now?

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_2_15.gif

(ps.... I didnt have any tequila http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_9_15v.gif )

pcsb23
05-08-2006, 09:47 AM
Wonder what will happen now?

Well, now you've added six rams, you will probably get three pairs of those too!

That will mean lots and lots and lots of new tanks for the baby discus and rams!!!

Better start planning for those new tanks! :D

(PS I'd get some tequila too - you may need it :) )

Kindredspirit
05-08-2006, 10:03 AM
uh huh ....o.k.a.y. then PAUL! You are just cracking yourself up here aren't ya? ( could you imagine...rams too?)

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_4_108.gif

Marie ~http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_16.gif

pcsb23
05-08-2006, 01:22 PM
uh huh ....o.k.a.y. then PAUL! You are just cracking yourself up here aren't ya?

Only a little and hopefully with you :)

( could you imagine...rams too?)

Given your luck - yep I can imagine it!! :D

hexed
05-08-2006, 03:49 PM
Marie,
Sounds like they are becoming adults :)

Be sure to boil anything you place in your tank! I boil everything for at least 15 minutes, then I place the pot in the sink and just run cold water into it. Once they are cool you can then put them into your tank.
Frank

Kindredspirit
05-09-2006, 10:12 AM
Only a little and hopefully with you :)

:D

Of course, Paul ~ You know that~

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_2_15.gif

Kindredspirit
05-09-2006, 10:16 AM
Marie,
Be sure to boil anything you place in your tank! I boil everything for at least 15 minutes, then I place the pot in the sink and just run cold water into it. Once they are cool you can then put them into your tank.
Frank

Yes Sir! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_15_50.gif

xo

AmberC
05-09-2006, 10:17 AM
Marie.. when your rams spawn I need a male! ;)

Amber

Kindredspirit
05-11-2006, 10:18 AM
...could you imagine sending one to you??? wow~

Well nothing yet folks! SOS.....all in same spots with same partner~

M~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif