PDA

View Full Version : cories!!!

bennyblanco
05-08-2006, 09:26 AM
i bought 2 cories on saturday came home 30 mins later drop the cories in the tank started eat as soon as i drop them in the tank well i left my house to do what i had to do that day came home like 3:00 am got up like at 12:00 pm went to the tak to feed and the 2 cories were dead one of them look like they try to eat him they were can of small my discus are from 4.5 inches to 2 1/2 inches could it be that the cories were to small!!

JeffreyRichard
05-08-2006, 09:36 AM
i bought 2 cories on saturday came home 30 mins later drop the cories in the tank started eat as soon as i drop them in the tank well i left my house to do what i had to do that day came home like 3:00 am got up like at 12:00 pm went to the tak to feed and the 2 cories were dead one of them look like they try to eat him they were can of small my discus are from 4.5 inches to 2 1/2 inches could it be that the cories were to small!!

Try punctuation! It is way too difficult to read your post without some sort of structure.

marilyn1998
05-08-2006, 09:58 AM
Ok. Two questions here. You didnt quarantine???? Hopefully you didnt just infect your tank with some illness!!!!!

From experience I found it is really important to acclimate fish to your higher temps. How did you do this? IF the temp they were coming from were more than a few degrees lower than the tank, it should have taken a few hours for you to acclimate them to the higher temp. Often times, this abrupt difference can kill the new fish.

traco
05-08-2006, 11:19 AM
Yep, quarantine is important. Plus the cories aren't used to the higher temp, they need a gradual increase of temps to get them used to the discus tank's higher temp.

It is so tempting to just add fish to a tank but pretty much everyone has learned that it's better to quarantine for 4-6 weeks minimum. It isn't worth it to introduce a new fish to your discus tank with a disease and everyone falls sick because of that. Patience is the key.

hexed
05-08-2006, 02:37 PM
Hi Benny,
If they are small enough to fit in the discus mouth they will try to eat them :(
I have baby plecos that are in my QT because they big discus will turn them into a snack :(
It is very important that you QT anything before you place them in your tank. I leave the smaller fish in the QT until they are large enough to be placed into the main tanks.
Sorry for your loss :(
Frank :angel:

bennyblanco
05-08-2006, 08:42 PM
[QUOTE=JeffreyRichard]Try punctuation! It is way too difficult to read your post without some sort of structure.[/QUOTE

sorry i was in a rush,the cories didn't die the discus kill them i think, cause the coriess were to small about 1 inch.no i did not qt the new fish cause i don't have where to i don't have a extra tank or nothing like that i know thats not good but i hope that nothing happens!!

AmberC
05-08-2006, 09:00 PM
Benny,
I doubt the discus killed them. I have gotten small cories and put them in with discus and they just ignore them. Did you SEE any aggression towards them from the discus because this just seems highly unlikely to me. I agree that it sounds like the acclimation was not done right. You said "I dropped them in"... How did you acclimate them? Did you do it slowly? Because if your temp and your pH were different than the lfs, then you just put them into the tank.. this WILL shock and kill them very quickly.
Amber

bennyblanco
05-08-2006, 09:50 PM
Benny,
I agree that it sounds like the acclimation was not done right. You said "I dropped them in"... How did you acclimate them? Did you do it slowly? Because if your temp and your pH were different than the lfs, then you just put them into the tank.. this WILL shock and kill them very quickly.
Amber

i did it slowly but the temp at the lfs was the same they had the cories with some discus 84 f, the cories look like something try to eat them!! they were missing there fins and eyes!!! i went back to the lfs and the dude at the lfs didn't believe that the discus kill the cories but he gave me some new ones about 1 1/2 inch's,like they say big fish eats little fish i believe!!!

so that never happen to anyone?

JeffreyRichard
05-09-2006, 10:25 AM
[QUOTE=JeffreyRichard]Try punctuation! It is way too difficult to read your post without some sort of structure.[/QUOTE

sorry i was in a rush,the cories didn't die the discus kill them i think, cause the coriess were to small about 1 inch.no i did not qt the new fish cause i don't have where to i don't have a extra tank or nothing like that i know thats not good but i hope that nothing happens!!

Mostlikely the corys were not healthy to begin with ... or they were not acclimated properly. I'm assuming you purchased them at a LFS? They could have been recently imported into the country and were not in good shape to begin with. If your discus are healthy, there is no reason to think that the corys caught something from your tank.

Most corys for sale in LFS are imports ... you need to make sure to purchase them from a quality store that will let the new fish settle in for at least a week before offering them to the paying public; that way the weak fish will be weeded out or able to get their strength back. I know MOST LFS don't practice this ... this means losses and /or cash flow delays. However, recently imported wild fish are heavily stressed, and a % will die. My guess is you got some of the weak/stressed fish.

I have a friend who imports fish from SA ... lot's of corys and tetras, particularly Cardinals. Cardinal Tetras are know to be problematic ... this is often because they haven't been fed for a week or so in there travels (collector/buyer/importer/wholesaler/retailer ...). They need something like Live Baby Brine to get them going. My friend imports large quantities of Cardinals, keeps them for several weeks and fattens them up with LBB. When he delivers them to the LFS, they are healthy, vigorous, and will normally do well in the fish keeper's tanks. Same with corys ... they really need TLC before being sold to LFS so they can get healthy. Unfortunately, the business model is to turn over the fish as fast as possible with as little handling as possible. That is why many new fish die in hobbyiests tanks.

AmberC
05-09-2006, 12:29 PM
i did it slowly but the temp at the lfs was the same they had the cories with some discus 84 f, the cories look like something try to eat them!! they were missing there fins and eyes!!! i went back to the lfs and the dude at the lfs didn't believe that the discus kill the cories but he gave me some new ones about 1 1/2 inch's,like they say big fish eats little fish i believe!!!

so that never happen to anyone?

Benny... after a fish dies.. the others WILL eat it if its not removed immediately. So this is probably why it looked torn up. I highly doubt your discus killed it. I cannot see discus attacking another fish until it dies. I have never seen them attack another fish except for other discus when they fight and its never till the death!
You said that you were out for a while. It probably died and the other fish viewed them as a nice little snack yk?

Amber

Alight
05-09-2006, 05:45 PM
Usually, Discus will not kill catfish of any kind, because these little buggers are better armored than you might think. Tough little bodies and sharp fins!

However, I have observed adult Discus killing Otos, even fairly large ones. Sometimes the little beasts attract the Discus, and the Discus forget they're inedible, and do one of their BIG pecks, enough to kill an oto. I don't know why it happens so rarely. I've observed these big pecks twice. One time it immediately killed the oto, the other time the oto survived for a day after the peck but died the next day, with a huge, obvious bruise from the trauma.

I suspect a very small cory could have gotten the same treatment.

On the other hand, this is very rare. I have had otos and Discus together now for over a year and a half, and have only seen this happen twice with over a dozen otos, and dozens of Discus, so what the others said is probably more likely.

bennyblanco
05-09-2006, 11:17 PM
the cories also had bruises on top of their head,i talk to my brother cause he spent the whole day at home, and everything was fine woke up the next morning and the cories were dead. i know some people in here dont like to buy in lfs but the guys at my lfs take very good care of all there fish,all the tanks are very clean!!! some of the guys have discus in there fish tanks and they seem to know what they doing. i know it sounds weird but the discus did "murder" the cories.

GottaBeKiN
05-11-2006, 07:32 AM
I happens, I think some of them just can't take the high temp. I had tried to put 7 cories in my tank before and only 2 survived up till this day.