PDA

View Full Version : Sick Of Algae....!!

Kindredspirit
05-11-2006, 06:30 PM
Okay guys ~

I am sick of algae! What do I get? Any Pleco?? What shld I know? How many for a 35 and a 55gal?

And of course qt ...... ********! I hate that part!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_4_11.gif

traco
05-11-2006, 07:08 PM
I just phoned you, missy.

Yes, a BN pleco would help and number per tank, I'm not too sure. I have 2 in my 90 gallon but they are 1 year old. Two big males who each stake out their own side. They do a great job keeping everything clean. I see them cleaning the airline tubing and they even go down the tubing of the sponge filters!

I know Amber was just saying that her one in her tank is helping get rid of the algae in her tank. A long finned albino BN pleco would look cool!

brewmaster15
05-11-2006, 07:14 PM
Marie,
Paper Towels are key here and put your lights on a timer....even plecos can't beat that......though they do help alot.

-al

Jarrod
05-11-2006, 07:46 PM
Marie I'm not trying to hijack your thread or anything...my questions is will plecos take care of the reddish brown slime that keeps showing up in my tanks? This stuff is ugly and shows up in my tanks DAILY even after I do a wc and wipe down the insides,,I wipe it all out and BAM it's back the next day...again Marie sorry not tryin to hijack your thread
Jarrod

candyl70
05-11-2006, 07:57 PM
Is the algae in your bare bottom or sandy bottom?

Jarrod
05-11-2006, 07:58 PM
Candy..if you are refering to my question all my tanks are bb
Jarrod

candyl70
05-11-2006, 08:01 PM
LOL Jarrod... I was reffering to Marie.. but it works for you too. Did you disinfect that tank?

Kindredspirit
05-11-2006, 10:52 PM
Marie,
Paper Towels are key here and put your lights on a timer....even plecos can't beat that......though they do help alot.

-al

I use so many paper towels Al!! I am home so I turn off my lights after 12 hours.... shld it be less? And when I am not then my daughter does...

I just phoned you, missy.

I saw that! It said i had one message so I listened and there was a long message of nothing! lol!!

umm.... sure Jarrod!! Where have you been?? We have missed you!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

kdazzel
05-12-2006, 11:02 AM
I had a lot of algae, then I got a pleco and he cleaned the tank spotless:elvis:

AmberC
05-12-2006, 11:13 AM
Okay guys ~

I am sick of algae! What do I get? Any Pleco?? What shld I know? How many for a 35 and a 55gal?

And of course qt ...... ********! I hate that part!

Marie.. In my 55 gallon.. I have the yoyo loaches, 6 amano shrimp and 2 bamboo shrimp and they do a GREAT job.

In the 125 I have 1 longfin albino bristlenose pleco and she cleaned HALF my tank in one night! So I think one more plec will do fab in the 125.

Thats what I'm doing for my algae and you saw how bad my 55 was with that carpet algae because its right next to my backdoor so it gets a lot of natural light from outside.

Amber

Kindredspirit
05-12-2006, 11:33 AM
Okay... thanks Amber ~ So.....shrimp eat algae too? ********...I am outta the loop on that one ~

I guess I better get something ~ I do not have much at all ~ but since I put in all the plants I see it on the leaves and rocks and it is just not okay!

M ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

Alight
05-12-2006, 01:03 PM
Otos and/or BN plecos will take care of your algae problem. I use them in my 55 grow out tank that has a bunch of potted plants in it, and they keep it spotless, except for some hard green spot algae that forms on the bottom.

This needs to be scraped off about once a month.

I have 7 very small otos, and two very young BN plecos in that tank, and have to feed them spinach and zucchini cause there's no algae left for them to eat.

12 hours of lighting should not be a problem, and will not actually grow enough algae for these guys to eat.

Jarrod, Otos and/or plecos will eat the diatoms (brown slime) even faster than all the rest of the algae.

You still will need to wipe down the tank sides very week or so, because there still is some "slime" that collects (sort of makes the glass look a bit foggy) with all of the water changes. I think it sticks to the glass when you lower the water level, and it's stuff the fish won't eat.

Tom Plantagent
05-12-2006, 06:27 PM
Do you have live plants? Even with bare bottom, I recommend some potted plants to help keep algae under control. Plants will compete with the algae for nitrate and other nutrients, especially if you provide good light (3 - 4 watts flourescent per gallon).

Algae almost drove me out of this hobby, which is why I switched to planted tanks.

Kindredspirit
05-15-2006, 08:26 AM
12 hours of lighting should not be a problem, and will not actually grow enough algae for these guys to eat.

Hey Al ~

Thanks! I dont have too much algae really~in the corners and on the sides perhaps~cuz itz bb~which I am getting tired of too http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_5_2.gif But in my other 55gal I have silk plants and deco ~ So it is more prominent! Bugs me at times too!

Thankz again Al ~ I will have to get one of those lil suckers soon~

Kindredspirit
05-15-2006, 08:46 AM
Do you have live plants? Even with bare bottom, I recommend some potted plants to help keep algae under control. Plants will compete with the algae for nitrate and other nutrients, especially if you provide good light (3 - 4 watts flourescent per gallon).

Algae almost drove me out of this hobby, which is why I switched to planted tanks.

Hey Tom ~

Thanks for the reply! I was talking to Frank cuz I never knew that plants help keep the algae under control ~ I have seen some tanks with oodles of algae all over the plants tho?? Those tank's plants were not keep anything under control! lol...I have only silk plants ~ I am considering ......'what am I considering Frank??" lol! I can not remember!

Tell me more ~

dannysnow
05-20-2006, 07:35 AM
Hey Folks,
Aren't you folks afraid of the Ottos and Plecos becoming addicted to the slime coat on the Discus, especially when they run low on algae? I'd rather battle the green slime than to look at a hickie.
Danny

Kindredspirit
05-20-2006, 07:43 AM
Hey Danny ~

I am not sure how to address your concern as I do not have any Plecos and Ottos ~ nor is my algae as bad as some I know ~

But I know a lot of members who do have these creatures and most have a planted tank with lots of deco so there is quite a bit of the green carpet to go around ~ if there is not then some get those algae wafers....I think!! So I suppose one must pay attention and make sure they have plenty to suck up and they will perhaps leave the discus slime alone ~ ugh!!

hth,

M~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_2_15.gif

Alight
05-20-2006, 11:43 AM
While some have had confirmed problems with otos latching on to Discus, this may be species dependent (there are a bunch of different otocinclus species). I've never seen this happen, and neither have a bunch of others. BN plecos also very rarely pick up this habit. Other plecos may be another story, but I'd not recommend them anyway for other reasons.

Plants can help the algae situation, but 3-4 watts/gallon in a low tech tank is asking for algae problems. More like 2 watts/gallon if you don't want to use pressurized CO2.

Potted plants do look nice, and will help, but not solve nitrate problems in a low tech tank. I'll post some pics of my grow out tank later.

Al Light

Kindredspirit
05-20-2006, 01:10 PM
I'll post some pics of my grow out tank later.

Al Light

That would be great, Al !

AmazonRainbows
05-20-2006, 08:03 PM
I have corycats, otocynclus and pen fish. They all drop eating alguae and go for brinshrimp & blood worm like pigs. Put them out not doing ther job. No syndicat in my tank :p

Tad
05-20-2006, 11:32 PM
Increase WC percentage and frequency, and move tank away from window or natural light might help....

JMO,
Tad

Alight
05-21-2006, 12:42 AM
Pics of grow out tank. Note that any algae you can see (on top of the potted red temple for example) is from being in the show tank. I pull the plants out of that tank and put them in this tank to get them cleaned before I put them back!

Alight
05-21-2006, 12:43 AM
Left side-

Alight
05-21-2006, 12:44 AM
Right side

lhforbes12
05-21-2006, 05:11 AM
Marie,
I agree with Tom and AL, potted plants are definately a better solution for algae. btw a BN *is* a type of pleco and I have personally seen them trying to attach to my discus, so I no longer keep them together. The one thing I'd like to re-state, that AL already said, is to not put too much light over your tank, you'll just be asking for even more algae. Also you never mentioned what type of alga you have, if you can figure out what it is, either I or someone else could probably help you better.

hth,
Larry

Kindredspirit
05-22-2006, 08:03 AM
Increase WC percentage and frequency, and move tank away from window or natural light might help....

JMO,
Tad
Hey Tad ~ I do a 50%wc daily ~ Im so not doing anymore than that!:D And I close the blinds before light/sun hits the tank~ Thank you!!!

Al ~ great picturs and awesome tank! Thank you for sharing ~ I missed this.... So....to recap ( and be nice ) plants keep algae under control becuz .....of a scientific reason or cuz the light hits the plants instead of everything else?

Larry ~ I dont think I will get any alage sucker uppers!
they are ugly for one and my algae isnt that bad ~ thanks Larry!!

AmberC
05-22-2006, 08:13 AM
Plants can help the algae situation, but 3-4 watts/gallon in a low tech tank is asking for algae problems. More like 2 watts/gallon if you don't want to use pressurized CO2.

Potted plants do look nice, and will help, but not solve nitrate problems in a low tech tank. I'll post some pics of my grow out tank later.

Al Light

I am confused. I have heard a couple of times now that plants help algae issues because they fight for the same nutrients that the plants need. I had a planted tank before.. heavily planted.. no special lighting. .just the bulbs that came out of the box when I set up the tank. I had major algae probs. It was all over my substrate (gravel) and plants. I even got green water! Then I went BB because I was having water issues.. (thats all been taken care of)
When I went BB.. no algae. Occasionally in a bottom corner, but that was it.
Now I have replanted (sand substrate) and I have algae again. All over everything! Plants, driftwood, rocks, sand. I got a BN and that is helping. My lights are on a timer. No direct sunlight, but the room is very bright. Same on the lights.. whatever wattage came out of the box. I am assuming its the lowest.

So ... I am confused.
Help me understand guys! :)
Amber

tpl*co
05-22-2006, 09:33 AM

I've noticed the same thing too (of course I still have algae forming on the cover glass though, ughhh. Bristlenoses and other small plecos won't get everywere, and they still need to be fed (cucumbers, algae discs etc). I've found they need to be acclimated slowly to the discus temps and like a lot of airation (I've lost a few to this). They also tend to hide. They also require some driftwood in their diet too. And another warning is that I once had some bristlenose introduce some red worm parasites into my tank! Had to drive way out to get some sheep dewormer to clear that up! In one of my cooler tanks though I do have pleco/plant combination that keeps the algae down and my discus tanks currently just have some plants :).

Tina

tpl*co
05-22-2006, 09:39 AM
I am confused. I have heard a couple of times now that plants help algae issues because they fight for the same nutrients that the plants need. I had a planted tank before.. heavily planted.. no special lighting. .just the bulbs that came out of the box when I set up the tank. I had major algae probs. It was all over my substrate (gravel) and plants. I even got green water! Then I went BB because I was having water issues.. (thats all been taken care of)
When I went BB.. no algae. Occasionally in a bottom corner, but that was it.
Now I have replanted (sand substrate) and I have algae again. All over everything! Plants, driftwood, rocks, sand. I got a BN and that is helping. My lights are on a timer. No direct sunlight, but the room is very bright. Same on the lights.. whatever wattage came out of the box. I am assuming its the lowest.

So ... I am confused.
Help me understand guys! :)
Amber

The lights "out of the box" I've found is cr*p! I had the same problem too. The plants languished and didn't grow, algae, etc. I trick is to find the right balance of light, duration of light, and the right amount of plants (and type of plants to go with the temps and the amount of light) to outcompete the algae. I had to do a lot of trial and error (and I don't know if I still have it right) to find out what to use in my bowfront. I have a coralife aqualight on that tank about 3 watts per gallon and growing swords and stuff. My other discus tank is a work in progress and has java fern and moss and about 2 watts per gallon. Still have some algae, but a lot less than before the java fern! One thing I noticed is that I've been having trouble with the wide leaf java in the discus temps (or some javas tolerate discus temps better than others)?

LOL, of course my tank is a low tech, fish have priority over the plants, tank, no CO2 and I don't add fertilizer to the water anymore (especially after what happened to Sampson). I do add fertilizer tabs to the pots though. A lot of high Techies probably have more to add :).

Tina

Alight
05-22-2006, 11:02 AM
Marie, I find the plants look nice, but only help the algae situation a small amoutn in a low tech, bare bottom tank. The plecos and otos do much more. As to ugly, it's in the eye of the beholder. Sort of like bulldogs. Some think they are very cute, others very ugly. Otos are pretty small, hide most of the time when the lights are on, especially if you have plants for them to hide in.

You don't need driftwood for otos--actually, even my BNs in the bare bottom tanks have been growing quickly and having no problems without driftwood.

The pots have 100% flourite in them, so I don't supplement them.

Really, I have to clean the glass only once every week or two. The Otos and plecos do the rest.

Kindredspirit
05-22-2006, 11:30 AM
Al ~

Okay... forgive me as I am in a rush ~ you keep the BN with your discus right? I think you said you do ~

OKay~ I trust your words ~ always have ~

Thank You Al!!

Alight
05-22-2006, 12:42 PM
Yes, the I have 2 BNs in my grow out tank, and 8 otos. I have three BNs in my showtank, and I need to add about 10-15 otos. I only have 2 in there right now, which is contributing to my algae battle there. More on that on my thread in the Planted tank forum later today.

Al

lhforbes12
05-22-2006, 02:08 PM
The lights "out of the box" I've found is cr*p! I had the same problem too. The plants languished and didn't grow, algae, etc. I trick is to find the right balance of light, duration of light, and the right amount of plants (and type of plants to go with the temps and the amount of light) to outcompete the algae. I had to do a lot of trial and error (and I don't know if I still have it right) to find out what to use in my bowfront. I have a coralife aqualight on that tank about 3 watts per gallon and growing swords and stuff. My other discus tank is a work in progress and has java fern and moss and about 2 watts per gallon. Still have some algae, but a lot less than before the java fern! One thing I noticed is that I've been having trouble with the wide leaf java in the discus temps (or some javas tolerate discus temps better than others)?

LOL, of course my tank is a low tech, fish have priority over the plants, tank, no CO2 and I don't add fertilizer to the water anymore (especially after what happened to Sampson). I do add fertilizer tabs to the pots though. A lot of high Techies probably have more to add :).

Tina

Tina,
That is excellent advice and btw applies to a "high tech" system as well. Almost all aquariums need at least 1.5 wpg in order to grow plants, unless supplimented somehow (usually with direct or indirect sunlight).

Amber,
Let me guess. You do wc's straight from the tap? Your problem is that algae needs far less light and is better able to use fluctuating CO2 levels than "higher" plants. Your tap probably has high CO2 levels. The easiest way I know to solve this, other than aging your water, is to use either a diatom or UV fliter. Either will rid your tank of algae spores. If you are using tap water and doing 50%, or more, wc's daily you will need to run either one continuosly for it to be effective.

hth,
Larry

lhforbes12
05-22-2006, 02:12 PM
ooops.. sorry that should have gone to a different thread. <face red>

Larry

lhforbes12
05-22-2006, 02:18 PM
Marie, I find the plants look nice, but only help the algae situation a small amoutn in a low tech, bare bottom tank. The plecos and otos do much more. As to ugly, it's in the eye of the beholder. Sort of like bulldogs. Some think they are very cute, others very ugly. Otos are pretty small, hide most of the time when the lights are on, especially if you have plants for them to hide in.

You don't need driftwood for otos--actually, even my BNs in the bare bottom tanks have been growing quickly and having no problems without driftwood.

The pots have 100% flourite in them, so I don't supplement them.

Really, I have to clean the glass only once every week or two. The Otos and plecos do the rest.

I should have added, I too have otos in my planted tanks with discus and have never had a problem with them. If I'm not mistaken, otos are strictly vegetarian, I think you'll actually find them "cute" Marie. btw my otos are out all the time in my 125 which is heavily planted... maybe it's the species (O. vittatus)

Larry

Kindredspirit
05-22-2006, 03:12 PM
I should have added, I too have otos in my planted tanks with discus and have never had a problem with them. If I'm not mistaken, otos are strictly vegetarian, I think you'll actually find them "cute" Marie. btw my otos are out all the time in my 125 which is heavily planted... maybe it's the species (O. vittatus)

Larry

okay... dont know why I quoted that ^^ oops! anyways ~ can you answer me this ....I have like three or four plants ( yes AMBER REAL!) attached to this driftwood that Dan helped me make ~

Question: Itz bb and nothing else in there 55gal...5 discus...I have some alage on sides or corners ...perhaps anywhere....but just now I just cleaned and wiped down all the insides and usually my p.towel is full of alage...

NONE LARRY/Al......is this cuz of the few plants I have in there???

Prolly the dumbest question ~

Alight
05-22-2006, 03:57 PM
Could be. So, you have more algae in the tanks without the plants than the one with the live plants? Is that right? If so, then you may know the answer.

Al

lhforbes12
05-22-2006, 04:23 PM
Marie,
I agree with AL. What is most likely happening is that the NH3/NH4 from your fish is being used by your plants so there is none left for algae.

Larry

Kindredspirit
05-22-2006, 04:57 PM
Could be. So, you have more algae in the tanks without the plants than the one with the live plants? Is that right? If so, then you may know the answer.

Al

Marie,
I agree with AL. What is most likely happening is that the NH3/NH4 from your fish is being used by your plants so there is none left for algae.

Larry

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_3_1v.gif

( thank you both very much!)

tpl*co
05-22-2006, 05:02 PM
Tina,
That is excellent advice and btw applies to a "high tech" system as well. Almost all aquariums need at least 1.5 wpg in order to grow plants, unless supplimented somehow (usually with direct or indirect sunlight).

Amber,
Let me guess. You do wc's straight from the tap? Your problem is that algae needs far less light and is better able to use fluctuating CO2 levels than "higher" plants. Your tap probably has high CO2 levels. The easiest way I know to solve this, other than aging your water, is to use either a diatom or UV fliter. Either will rid your tank of algae spores. If you are using tap water and doing 50%, or more, wc's daily you will need to run either one continuosly for it to be effective.

hth,
Larry

Ahhh, I wonder if this is the reason that my lower light grow out tank gets more algae since it is filled from the tap, than my even lower light breeding tank that gets RO? I've got almost zilch algae there! Wait let me check make that 0 algae! My higher light, potted plant, out of the tap tank has less algae (mostly above water, ughh).

I once had Ottos pre-discus and I also had a banjo cat (flat looking catfish that looks like wood) the ottos would always harrass the banjo cat. :(. I did have long finned BN in my planted discus tank too until I followed some internet advise (another site, LOL) to secure riccia with a hair net. Well, woke up the next morning to snare netted bristlenoses! I tried to get those guys to recover, but they eventually didn't make it :(. I don't know if it was because of the injuries or because I moved them in the grow out tank and they were eating a higher protien diet along with the other fish :(. Bristlenoses, if acclimated to the higher temps, are good clean-up crews.

Tina

lhforbes12
05-22-2006, 06:02 PM
Tina,
I would actually put money on it.

Larry

crazie.eddie
06-09-2006, 08:07 AM
Bristlenose do not get all types of algae, especially BBA (black beard algae). Since you are able to wipe down the algae from your tank with a paper towel, then the BN would be able to eat it as well.

The only reasons otos, BN's, or any other type of plecos attach themselves to other fish, is due to diet. They need to feed on other other materials as well, other than just algae alone. Supplement their health with blanched vegatables, especially zuchini, freeze dried peas (skinned), algae wafers, etc. Doing so, will avoid any sucker fish from wanting to attach themselves to other fish.

poconogal
06-09-2006, 08:15 AM
Bristlenose do not get all types of algae, especially BBA (black beard algae). Since you are able to wipe down the algae from your tank with a paper towel, then the BN would be able to eat it as well.

The only reasons otos, BN's, or any other type of plecos attach themselves to other fish, is due to diet. They need to feed on other other materials as well, other than just algae alone. Supplement their health with blanched vegatables, especially zuchini, freeze dried peas (skinned), algae wafers, etc. Doing so, will avoid any sucker fish from wanting to attach themselves to other fish.
How about the brown algae (diatoms)? I've read that BNs will eat that before other algaes, but mine seem to be ignoring it. They do get Zucchini and algae wafers, though, and have a small piece of driftwood.

Kindredspirit
06-09-2006, 08:36 AM

Very informative Eddie! Thanks ~ tell me tho once they attach themselves to other fish can you get them off? I would just die if I saw anything stuck to my discus sucking on his lil body ~ That is simply not going to work for me!

Hell No ~ it is a common thing? Reminds me of a leech ~ I hate leeches! ugh~

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_4_51.gif

Marie ~

crazie.eddie
06-09-2006, 09:32 AM
Yes, you can get them off. They will not attach themselves like parasites sucking of body fluids of the fish. They would only do so to eat of the slime coating of the fish. Since it's easier for them to attach themselves to flat bodied fish, like discus or angelfish, they would do so if they were deprived of food. Like people, we would not resort to eating food from the garbage, but if we were starving and had no other source of food, then we would have to in order to survive.

But as long as you feed the plecos well with other suppliments, you will never see them attach themselves to other fish.