PDA

View Full Version : Do loaches explode?

Tom Plantagent
05-12-2006, 06:34 PM
My clean-up crew consists of three 3" yoyo loaches. They're great at their job, almost too good. The "boss" of the group is starting to look like he's going to give birth, or explode. They're all rounded in the belly, but he's starting to scare me. He looks leaner in the morning, so I don't think he's constipated. Is his heath in danger from all this eating? (Do I need to get more loaches to share the load?)

"Just another immigrant having trouble adapting to the unhealthy American lifestyle", I thought as I drained the dregs from my beer can.:D

AmberC
05-12-2006, 06:48 PM
I dont know if they are in danger or not, but I have 4 very tiny yoyo's and they always look fat! They eat so much algae! They dont seem to have any health issues and are not constipated from it but they are always eating! I'd say they rank up there with angel fish lol

Amber

Bainbridge Mike
05-12-2006, 06:49 PM
Look out--I have a loach and I am not afraid to use it! Sorry, could not resist.

If there is lots and lots of food available, the loach may just have a full tummy all the time. However, if the fish is grossly bloated it may be an internal bacterial infection. Can you post a pic?

Mike

Tom Plantagent
05-12-2006, 08:03 PM
Not great pics. They won't slow down! They like to hang out by the discus feeding dish for some reason.

Tom Plantagent
05-12-2006, 08:04 PM
Here's two together.

Bainbridge Mike
05-12-2006, 10:21 PM
They look like fat and happy fish to me. :-)

Tom Plantagent
05-13-2006, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the assessment. They don't ACT sick. They just look like they should be in pain.

pcsb23
05-13-2006, 04:29 PM
Looks like they have been enjoying the discus's food. Fat and happy!