PDA

View Full Version : Emperor Tetras?

hexed
05-13-2006, 02:13 AM
Does anyone know anything about Emperor Tetras? They do good for me the first day but the next morning they are dead :(
I have no clue why but all 4 are dead. I bought 2 pairs - males blue eyes and females green eyes. I returned them to the store and they gave me 4 more tonight (Friday) and one male is already dead :(
I floated the bag and after 10 minutes I removed a cup of bag water and replaced it with a cup of tank water. I did this every 10 minutes for 30 minutes total. Yes, I use two small paper cups one to remove the water and the other to put the tank water in :)
According to the info on the net they should do fine with discus?

marilyn1998
05-13-2006, 10:31 AM
Did you test the water they were coming from? Could be PH shock. I dunno. I had the same trouble with bushynose for a bit. Went to a different souyrce to get them and finally was able to keep them alive. Maybe it is just the stock??

Good Luck

pcsb23
05-13-2006, 04:36 PM
Frank,

All tetras can be a bit tricky to acclimate, they seem so fragile at times. Once acclimated though they are bullet proof. Emporers will do well with discus, but they won't do well at the higher temps we sometimes use, much above 86 and they do struggle. Is there a significant difference between your water params and the lfs's?? Try starting them off at 80f in the qt tank and raising the temp slowly over the next few days. Provided they are healthy or appear healthy (and I can't imagine you buying them if they aren't!!) they should adjust fine.

Kindredspirit
05-15-2006, 10:36 AM
aww.. Frank ~

I am tired ~ WAKE UP! LOL! Let me know if you ret w/ any new ones today~

xo

M ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_4_11.gif

hexed
05-15-2006, 11:37 PM
Ok,
Paul Thank you! Yes the temp change is what did them in. I have one pair left and got credit for 3 more which will come in on Wednesday, so I will have them on Thursday. I will post pics tonight.
Frank

hexed
05-16-2006, 12:44 AM
a pic of the pair:

hexed
05-16-2006, 12:45 AM
the male

candyl70
05-17-2006, 12:10 AM
I never knew they had different colored eyes!!! Nice Frank ;)