PDA

View Full Version : What next?

marilyn1998
05-15-2006, 02:57 PM
My plants have now been in the tank 1 week tomorrow. I picked anubias nana, java fern, java moss and crypt wendtti because I wouldnt need special substrate or alot ferts. All but the crypts are attached to driftwood. The java fern looks great. The anubias nana has a few tears in it and on one of the driftwods has a slight amount of algae. The other one looks good, but I saw a bushnose cat eating oon the leaves cleaning it off.
My java moss is not doing well. It is turning a brownish light green. IS this just the trauma of replanting? Do I need to add anything to the water for these plants?
THe crypts are in clay pots with gravel. I read they will appear to die off as they are sensitive to being moved. THis has definitely happened. I see some minute new growth at the gravel line. Do I need to do anything here, either?

Thanks all!

ammonia- 0
nitrIte- 0
nitrAte- 0
phosphorus- 1
KH- 5
GH- 8
186 watts of light

no CO2, no ferts added, substrate only pebble river rock, 1 inch

diablocanine
05-15-2006, 03:31 PM
Java moss usually does poorly in the warm water of a Discus tank, try peacock moss. Might wanna put fert tabs under the crypts.....DC

My plants have now been in the tank 1 week tomorrow. I picked anubias nana, java fern, java moss and crypt wendtti because I wouldnt need special substrate or alot ferts. All but the crypts are attached to driftwood. The java fern looks great. The anubias nana has a few tears in it and on one of the driftwods has a slight amount of algae. The other one looks good, but I saw a bushnose cat eating oon the leaves cleaning it off.
My java moss is not doing well. It is turning a brownish light green. IS this just the trauma of replanting? Do I need to add anything to the water for these plants?
THe crypts are in clay pots with gravel. I read they will appear to die off as they are sensitive to being moved. THis has definitely happened. I see some minute new growth at the gravel line. Do I need to do anything here, either?

Thanks all!

ammonia- 0
nitrIte- 0
nitrAte- 0
phosphorus- 1
KH- 5
GH- 8
186 watts of light

no CO2, no ferts added, substrate only pebble river rock, 1 inch

pcsb23
05-15-2006, 03:37 PM
Marilyn, phosphorous?? or phosphate? :) the latter I hope. Might need weekly dose of excel & flourish 'bout a capful to start. Nitrates may need to be watched 5 - 10ppm is good for a planted tank, agree with DC fert tabs under the crypts, one every few months only though.

marilyn1998
05-15-2006, 03:53 PM
LOL, phosphate Paul!!!! Damn, I hate to learn new elements. I was hoping phosphorus would let me get by without lighting. :D

THanks for the tips boyz!!

Any suggestions on fert tabs? Also, Is excel and flourish 2 different things? (I have read on ferts, just dont know them well yet.)

Thanks!

pcsb23
05-15-2006, 03:57 PM
I was hoping phosphorus would let me get by without lighting. :D

It would certainly light up the tank!! :)

Any suggestions on fert tabs?

I use TetraPlant Crypto Root Fertiliser Tablets

Also, Is excel and flourish 2 different things? (I have read on ferts, just dont know them well yet.)

Yes 2 seperate products both by seachem, flourish is micro nutrients and excel is a carbon supplement.

ItsGeoff
05-15-2006, 06:23 PM
give the crypts a while to regro too. mine got mowed down to the crowns by snails and it took them awhile to show themselves again. but theycam back HUGE after that. tok mine maybe 3-4 weeks i think

marilyn1998
05-15-2006, 06:32 PM
Thanks Geoff. I had read that, too. Looking forward to the growth. I just now need 2 tall red plants to finish off for now. Gotta be something low light, able to be potted, and not need substrate as I have pebble rock.

Any ideas??? :D

traco
05-15-2006, 06:34 PM
Steal a question on Marilyn's thread?:) If dosing Excel and Flourish and these are discus tanks with so many water changes, do you dose the liquid fertilizers each day due to the water changes? Or is there going to be "enough" with doing the dosing once a week?

Alight
05-15-2006, 06:40 PM
Going to have to replace the micros (flourish) and the excel with every change.

Tall red plants for low light tanks are limited. I'd suggest Red Temple. It will grow slowly in a low light tank. The leaves will be green on top with low light (red on top, too with high light), but will be shocking red-purple on the underside, and since they carry there leaves very upright, the red-purple is the most obvious color.

marilyn1998
05-15-2006, 06:41 PM
Good question Barb! I do 30% daily WC. Anxious to hear.

ItsGeoff
05-16-2006, 12:22 AM
get a lotus from petco. they sell em here for 1.49 with a couple leaves on them, just let them grow to the surface and you'll be good.

pcsb23
05-16-2006, 05:26 AM
Red Temple would be a good choice as Al says, some others to consider Echinodorus 'Ozelot', not red but reddish with nice spotting on the leaves which will stay even in low light, Ludwigia repens 'Rubin' very nice deep red stems and underside of leaves. The ozelot has broad long leaves and the rubin has small roundish leaves.

AmberC
05-16-2006, 09:24 AM
I have the red ludwigia.. I really like it :)

Amber