PDA

View Full Version : For Barb (traco) and Marilyn.. my plants..

AmberC
05-16-2006, 09:37 AM
Hey ladies :) I got some new plants lately and with the both of you just starting with plants I thought I would share with you my tank. I am replanting my 125 (as you guys know) but have had planted tanks before.

So.. wattage.. I have no idea.. its whatever came out of the box when I set up the tank lol
sand substrate
fert: I have seachem flourish, but generally do not use it cause I have algae issues.. carpet algae.

Plants:
Anubius Barteri,
Anubius Con..something or other.. i forget what it was
cardinal plant
red ludwigia
italian valisneria
wisteria
water sprite
tropical sun hygrophilia
red tiger lotus
and another plant that has similar leaves to the lotus but different lol. I dont remember what it was.
red melon sword and like a ruffle sword or something

basically i just throw the plants in and dont do anything. Some of the new plants i was informed need higher lighting so I dont know how they will do but we shall see. The tank gets a lot of natural sunlight (not direct) because my living room is very bright too so I'm hoping that will help.

Some shots:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/CristaMeganMommy/DSC05475.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/CristaMeganMommy/DSC05476.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/CristaMeganMommy/DSC05478.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/CristaMeganMommy/DSC05480.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/CristaMeganMommy/DSC05481.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/CristaMeganMommy/DSC05482.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/CristaMeganMommy/DSC05484.jpg

And pretty much all i have left that I am going to do is get some narrow leaf chain sword and have that cover all the open space :)

Amber

marilyn1998
05-16-2006, 09:48 AM
Gorgeous Amber! I am still in the spot where I need access to cleaning as my smallest discus are 4". But soon, I will try to plant in the pebble rock. I know that is not a medium, but I will see and stic kwith plants that dont get nutrients from the roots.

I will post pics as the tank settles. I ordereed some Red Temple yesterday to add more color. And am still looking for the perfect background.

Thanks for the help!!!!

Kenny's Discus
05-16-2006, 09:51 AM
Hi Amber - what can I say it's truly very impressive and beautiful! I do wish I had a planted tank like yours sitting in my fishroom. :-(

Thanks for sharing them.

Kenny

AmberC
05-16-2006, 10:09 AM
Gorgeous Amber! I am still in the spot where I need access to cleaning as my smallest discus are 4". But soon, I will try to plant in the pebble rock. I know that is not a medium, but I will see and stic kwith plants that dont get nutrients from the roots.

I will post pics as the tank settles. I ordereed some Red Temple yesterday to add more color. And am still looking for the perfect background.

Thanks for the help!!!!

Marilyn,

I have had planted tanks with gravel too and my plants did just fine then too. Again.. just normal lighting but I didn't have the algae prob so I used the flourish.

Look forward to the pics! :)

Kenny....Thanks so much! :D

Amber

turkis
05-16-2006, 10:10 AM
Hi Amber,
Nice aquascaping and pictures, it is a lot of work to set it up and good luck.

Hi Kenny,
She charges by the hour for this set up.
Mario

Kenny's Discus
05-16-2006, 10:18 AM
Hi Kenny,
She charges by the hour for this set up.
Mario

Hi Mario - if Amber decides to "charge me by the hour" I'll be the first to pay her and have her made me a planted tank like those in the pics lol.

I so needed a planted like that as I've never had one! I think my adult discus will love that. Hey Mario maybe you'll be the second in line?

:-0

Take care Mario.
Kenny

turkis
05-16-2006, 10:24 AM
Hi Mario - if Amber decides to "charge me by the hour" I'll be the first to pay her and have her made me a planted tank like those in the pics lol.

I so needed a planted like that as I've never had one! I think my adult discus will love that. Hey Mario maybe you'll be the second in line?

:-0

Take care Mario.
Kenny

Hi Kenny,
A planted tank will look very nice but there is too much work involved, the main reason is to keep the water chemistry within spec's.
I'll be the second in line but it will cost me a fortune to bring her up.
Mario

AmberC
05-16-2006, 10:34 AM
lol Mario and Kenny! Sounds pretty good to me! :D

Amber

Kenny's Discus
05-16-2006, 10:39 AM
True Mario...it's for that reason I've never had one. Effort aside I do think it looks so much more vibrant and lively than bare bottoms. JMO of course.

Hey last time I heard Amber only charges by the hour. Travel expenses can easily be covered by some of your RGDs...no objections right Amber?

:-)

Kenny

AmberC
05-16-2006, 10:49 AM
Hey last time I heard Amber only charges by the hour. Travel expenses can easily be covered by some of your RGDs...no objections right Amber?

:-)

Kenny

lmao! Ok.. I can agree with that! ;)

Amber

traco
05-16-2006, 10:50 AM
Amber, what a beautiful job you've done on your tank! You've done a great job with your aquascaping. I like the layout and your piece of wood really sets the whole tank off.

Do you separate each bunch of plants and plant one at a time or do you kind of bunch a couple up, move, bunch another up, etc...?

That's it, I'm heading downtown and seeing what is available for plants!!

Kudos to you, Amber. You've done a fine job.:D

AmberC
05-16-2006, 10:56 AM
Amber, what a beautiful job you've done on your tank! You've done a great job with your aquascaping. I like the layout and your piece of wood really sets the whole tank off.

Do you separate each bunch of plants and plant one at a time or do you kind of bunch a couple up, move, bunch another up, etc...?

That's it, I'm heading downtown and seeing what is available for plants!!

Kudos to you, Amber. You've done a fine job.:D

Thanks Barb! :D Well.. at first I was separating them.. but I found it made it look too thin so I am now keeping them bunched (taking off the metal binding thing first of course!) and planting them that way. As they grow I can propogate them.

On another note.. my rams.. they love it! There are three pits dug out inside that little jungle! lol If you look at the very first picture.. look hard now! You can see my female blue ram peeking out of the plants! lol and the danios and tetras LOVE swimming thru there! Its so fun to watch!

Amber

AmberC
05-16-2006, 10:57 AM
oh and in the second pic you can see a gold ram in there lol
Amber

Kenny's Discus
05-16-2006, 11:11 AM
man Amber I'm calling my optometrist right now for a pair of new glasses lol.

Kenny

pcsb23
05-16-2006, 11:13 AM
Amber, coming on nicely, looks like you may have found a new job! Make sure you charge enough!!! :)

Kenny's Discus
05-16-2006, 11:16 AM
Paul - I think you're not too far behind in getting a 2nd job yourself...I've seen your planted tank as well remember? lol

Have a nice day Paul!
Kenny

pcsb23
05-16-2006, 11:20 AM
Paul - I think you're not too far behind in getting a 2nd job yourself...I've seen your planted tank as well remember? lol

Have a nice day Paul!
Kenny
:D

Spices
05-16-2006, 11:23 AM
Looking great, Amber!! :thumbsup: And a nice assortment of red plants too. ;)

I like how you have the shale stones up against eachother to create a cavern. :sun:

Angie:)

AmberC
05-16-2006, 11:24 AM
lol Kenny!

Thanks Paul! Its nothing compared to yours tho! :D

Amber

AmberC
05-16-2006, 11:27 AM
Looking great, Amber!! :thumbsup: And a nice assortment of red plants too. ;)

I like how you have the shale stones up against eachother to create a cavern. :sun:

Angie:)

Thanks Angie! I liked the stones up like that too and I thought my bottom feeders would too but none of the fish except my snow white discus like it! lol.. not the fish I expected to like it!
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/CristaMeganMommy/DSC05320.jpg
Amber

AmberC
05-16-2006, 11:29 AM
here ya go Kenny ;)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/CristaMeganMommy/ramhide1.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/CristaMeganMommy/ramhide.jpg

does that help? lol

Amber

Kenny's Discus
05-16-2006, 11:34 AM
lol Amber...thanks for pointing them out for me(or others). You do agree they were hidden pretty well especially the ram.

Kenny

AmberC
05-16-2006, 11:40 AM
lol Amber...thanks for pointing them out for me(or others). You do agree they were hidden pretty well especially the ram.

Kenny

lol yes they were hidden pretty well. and they were fuzzy... cause no flash..

I did say look hard lol

Amber

architect1
05-16-2006, 11:55 AM
Wow vary beautiful tank. How many lights do you have, and whats your watt out put. I'm haven big time problems trying to get my swords to grow big and tall, there thick but not tall. In my other tank I have my valls growing like weeds but swords not doing good.

I put out a forum on the planted tank site and For 112g I need like 320 watts. SO I'm going to try that and get a good sub strate that might do it.

I wish i had your luck. Id like to see some pics a month from now. Congrats hope you have fun.

Clay
05-17-2006, 06:51 PM
The left side of the tank is awesome. Can't wait until the whole thing is like that! :) It you moved that honking piece of wood over to the right a bit it woul dbe a little more natural looking to have it off-center.

Planted tanks are waht I'm good at. just learning the discus. ^_^

if you want an uberly fast growing plant, get some water wisteria. It is like weeds under some decent lighting. :)

And if you want a good website/forum to learn tons from, I suggest www.plantedtank.net/forum ;)

marilyn1998
05-17-2006, 06:54 PM
Clay, can you come over and help me place my plants??? I will make it worth your while. I am a great cook.....:)

Clay
05-17-2006, 06:58 PM
Clay, can you come over and help me place my plants??? I will make it worth your while. I am a great cook.....:)
For food? Yes, please. ^_^ If I lived in Michigan, i would so pop right over. :P

Amber, you could also place some java fern or moss or some type of anubias in that one hole in the wood. Or you coujld like tie down the fern and moss onto it.

I'm going to try and get a decent shot of my planted 55. :) OIt's a bit of a jungly atm,. It needs some trimming in the worse way.