PDA

View Full Version : Blue Ahli

architect1
05-16-2006, 02:20 PM
I was just reading through the classifieds and saw this amazing fish called
Blue Ahli.

Its an african chichlid. I know Chichlid are vary Mean with other fish. I don't know anything about them but I saw how beautiful they are. If there was alot of hidding spots in the bottom of a 120g tank would they be able to be in a discus tank?

bennyblanco
05-16-2006, 02:48 PM
this is what i found!!!

The Electric Blue African Cichlid does well with other Lake Malawi cichlids when provided with a spacious, rocky tank of 70 gallons or more. Although plants are extraneous for the Electric Blue African Cichlid, they may be beneficial for other tank members; however, fish larger than three inches will often uproot live plants. The Electric Blue African Cichlid can and probably will be aggressive toward smaller fish.

architect1
05-16-2006, 02:58 PM
So I guess if there was enough rocks in the tank for them to hid mate and things like that they would be not that bad of tank mates. Thats will full grown discus that is.

I know when mixing chichlids together its best to buy them the same size so whne they grow up they grow up together.

AmberC
05-16-2006, 03:12 PM
African cichlids and American cichlids (discus) generally do not fare well together. Mostly because they require totally different water parameters. Africans like higher pH. And because africans are so much more aggressive.

Personally I would not mix them.

Amber

Martin
05-16-2006, 03:31 PM
The simple answer is: No.
Both fish would suffer.

marilyn1998
05-16-2006, 03:31 PM
African cichlids get very large. THis one is no exception. It also likes very high PH... like near 9.0.

I wouldnt mix them.

JeffreyRichard
05-16-2006, 04:35 PM
NO ... this would be equivilent to putting salt water clownfish with your discus ... these africans need HARD water with high pH and a lower temperature than discus

http://www.timstropicals.com/Inventory/African/BlueAhliInfo.asp

sleonard
05-16-2006, 04:40 PM
My favorite african! Haplachromis Fryeri Ahli but that has recently been changed to, I think, Psyanochromis (sp.). I can't remember the new designation. I have a beautiful 5" male in my 125g african tank and four juvis growing out in a 29. Hopefully there will be 2-3 females among the juvis.

Aggresive, even for Africans. No more than a single male in a 6' tank as they claim large territories. Way too aggressive for Discus.

Another of my favorites is Nimbachromis Coerialus (sp.) or Electric Yellow. Also aggressive and one male per tank. Why is it the ones that I would like to fill a tank with are the ones too aggressive to have more than one :(

architect1
05-16-2006, 05:34 PM
I thought so thank you for your repsonses.

god61021
05-18-2006, 05:25 AM
i have approximately 3o different lake malawi cichlids.( no ahlis).the water differences are so huge between the two you would never find a happy medium.i had to move my chocolate cichlid for the same reasons.developed hole in the head.and chocolates are alot hardier than discus.as far as aggression i dont think a pirahna would last long in an african tank.lol

Moon
05-18-2006, 03:42 PM
Hap Ahli's are very agressive and fast. All food will be eaten even before discus get halfway to the food.
I have kept both but in seperate tanks. I don't think they will mix

nolefan
05-18-2006, 06:23 PM
My favorite african! Haplachromis Fryeri Ahli but that has recently been changed to, I think, Psyanochromis (sp.). I can't remember the new designation. I have a beautiful 5" male in my 125g african tank and four juvis growing out in a 29. Hopefully there will be 2-3 females among the juvis.

Aggresive, even for Africans. No more than a single male in a 6' tank as they claim large territories. Way too aggressive for Discus.

Another of my favorites is Nimbachromis Coerialus (sp.) or Electric Yellow. Also aggressive and one male per tank. Why is it the ones that I would like to fill a tank with are the ones too aggressive to have more than one :(
If you have a all male tank they will tolerate each other fairly well I have a 120 gallon tank with 20 male peacocks and a couple of haps with no problems occasionally I will have a male peacock of the same species color down.
i geuss you can not have it all .

Lee