PDA

View Full Version : my discus hide

wghibbits
05-16-2006, 07:04 PM
hi everyone,
i got some new discus about a month ago 6 red turks, they are in a 55 gal bb tank, two sponge filters and a heater, thats all, every time i walk down stairs i can see them out all over the tank. as soon as they see me they all hide behind the sponge filter, even hesitate when feeding,what can i do to help this??water params are good,0 ammonia,0 nitrite,5 nitrate, ph 6.2.I have a 110 up stairs all discus rush to the front when they see me coming. the 110 gal is planted with gravel,same water params.temp is 86 in both.
Thanks
Bill

OIF03VET
05-16-2006, 07:39 PM
I have a 65 tall with 9 discus it is planted with fake plants and a few driftwood pieces, and gravel. They are always out swimming unless I take everything out to clean the tank, then they hide. I think your tank envirnonment it to unnatural for them. Thats just my 2c

Kindredspirit
05-16-2006, 07:51 PM
Bill ~

I have about the same set up you do and it took a long time for mine in one tank to come around as well ~ Just act normal around them and dont baby them too much ~ hard to do I know! I also permit no hiding in my tanks....it just bugs me ~ so I push up the sponges where they can not get behind them! Soon they see it my way ~

Are they adults? Or juvies? I assume they are eating aggressively? And often? IMO I would get a chair and be their best friend for a while and often! Keep up on wc and enjoy!

I know someone that bangs the tanks everytime he goes by! They fear not much Im tellin ya!

hth~

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_4_11.gif

wghibbits
05-16-2006, 09:22 PM
thanks marie,
i already have my chair in front of the tank,they are juvies,about 2-3 inches, i'll just wait them out. i have the biggest sponge filter i could get so pretty big to hide behind.thanks for your help.

Bill

Kindredspirit
05-16-2006, 10:11 PM
You are more than welcome, Sir~

I am sure someone with more experience will pop along soon ~ post some pics if you can!!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_4_11.gif

marilyn1998
05-16-2006, 10:19 PM
You said you walk downstairs? Are they seeing a shadow when you appear? Or are you visible over their heads? They hate things that are over their heads. Do you have a wall where you are jusrt sort of THERE? Where you startle them?

These could all be reasons.

Ryan
05-16-2006, 10:20 PM
Are the bottom and back of your tank covered with anything, like paint or a background? Is it possible the fish are seeing shadows? I keep all my angelfish and discus in bare-bottom tanks and usually if the fish feel more secure (with a covered back and bottom), they are more likely to be friendly and beg for food when they see you. If the fish are seeing shadows or feeling vibrations, this may cause them to always be skittish.

Also, is this tank in a low-traffic area? Maybe if you're not walking by very frequently, the fish haven't really had the opportunity to get used to you.

Always associate yourself with their favorite food. Sit in front of the tank when you feed them and let them get to know that you're where the food comes from. If you have to, fast them for a whole day, then feed them in the morning (when they seem to be hungriest).

Ryan

yeomans
05-16-2006, 11:06 PM
I used to see the same thing when I would walk down stairs or enter the room the discus would try to hide. I moved the tank onto the cement floor in the basement and they could no longer feel the vibrations when people moved around. They are much happier on the concrete floor in the basement. Is your tank set up on a wood floor or cement? When my tank was on the wooden floor, i'd sometimes have to wait a couple minutes for the fish to start swimming around again after they had been disturbed by the trafic. Is the tank in a high traffic area?

wghibbits
05-18-2006, 09:15 PM
hi all thanks for all the replies, the fish are in the basement on concrete floors, but they are facing a window, the sides and back are painted but the bottom is not, they don't seem to like light,should i leave it on so they get used to it or leave it off to make them more comfortable??very low traffic area also. thanks again

Bill