PDA

View Full Version : Here's Something Different

hexed
05-17-2006, 01:37 AM
I did not know what this was but bought it anyways LOL! I found out tonight that it is called a Dragon Eel or Violet Goby. Because the LFS was stupid and put 5 squirts of stress coat in the small amount of water he is having problems breathing. I am working on this and if he is a fighter he should make it, so far he has. This is one reason why I do not care for stress coat. Every now and then the poor thing is on his back and he is showing signs of red blood in his fins and gill area :(
Here's some pics, he was a deep purplish color and looked really nice. They are non aggressive even though they look like monsters LOL. They have tiny little eyes about the size of a pin head. Let me know what you think ;)

hexed
05-17-2006, 01:39 AM
clearer pic

hexed
05-17-2006, 01:40 AM
You can see the red blood in the fins above and in this pic as well :(

AmberC
05-17-2006, 06:26 AM
I have seen those before, but never purple! Very cool Frank! What is he going with? How is he doing now from the stress coat? They do look like they would be aggressive dont they lol

Amber

traco
05-17-2006, 10:53 AM
I saw one of those and it was called a red dragon goby. They have huge mouths, don't they! They were busy sifting through the sand at the LFS. They look kind of eerie. Hope he starts feeling better soon.

marilyn1998
05-17-2006, 11:54 AM
I have seen those too! HE looks like a great catch. Hope he fully recovers!!!

candyl70
05-17-2006, 06:22 PM
Hey Frank,

We had one of those... he was just called a dragon goby... lol. They have really poor eye sight, so we had to feed him with a turkey baster. They are a brackish fish.... our store didn't know that, and we didn't know that until after he passed away...but we had him for a long time. ... and guess what I named him.... Monster!!! :D I hope he gets better for you... they are a lot of fun.

hexed
05-19-2006, 01:31 AM
Ok, he seems to be doing much better, most of the bloody fins are gone and normal except the tail section. I bought him a friend today and told them no squirting the bag and guess what? The new one is perfectly fine, swimming and eating too! So now there are two ;)

Candy,
I read that they are brackish fish too, but perfer acidic water of a Ph of 6.4-6.8. I do not know how you can have brackish water with that ph though LOL

nolefan
05-19-2006, 01:45 AM
I have kepted them in higher ph without a proplem and I had very good luck feeding them shrimp pellets.

Lee

hexed
05-19-2006, 02:21 AM
I forgot to attach the picture of what the blood section is left. Granted the entire goby covered from tip to tip looking like what's left in the picture. He is recovering very very well so far :)

Ed13
05-19-2006, 11:01 AM
These guys are usually called Dragonfish by the exporters. They are a scaleless goby. Range of these guys extends from Central to
South merica. They will be happier in slightly brackish water although will do just fine in fresh water high in oxigen. Max size is around
19 inches and a substrate of sand is ideal.
They are mostly nocturnal with not so great eyesight but good sense of smell.
Bloodworms seem to be of their liking.
BTW, after seeing thousands of these guys half of them usually come with bloody fins and guills but clear up soon after. They seem to be really tough.

Enjoy!